The Imperial Diet - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-13, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Default The Imperial Diet

I know this is a little bit out there as far a fluff. But in all my readings and browsing though lore. I have never come across what people eat. I doubt that they still have chickens and cows that far into the future. Im sure it varies from world to world. Does anyone know the answer or have ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-13, 02:47 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Pot noodles!

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-13, 03:04 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

My understand is that it is heavily based on where they live. If you're on an agri-world then the likelihood that you have access to fresh produce and fresh animal cuts. But if you're posted to a moon or live on a hive world chances are you have to eat some sort of hydroponic plants or algae.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-13, 03:22 PM
Bruva I am hit!

Protoss119's Flag is: USA

Depends partly on where you live and partly on your income or social status. Dark Heresy: Inquisitor's Handbook does list some shipboard means (pg. 159), separated into Low-Grade, Mid-Grade, and High-Grade. Low-Grade includes fungus bread, condensation water, and void sweat; Mid-Grade includes vatmeal cakes, Grox hash, and Josian ale; and High-Grade includes fresh fruit, jellied Grox tongue, and amasec.

I imagine these meals would be the same or similar on most Imperial worlds except for those with low tech levels such as Feral, Death, or Feudal worlds. However, this is probably not the end-all list; there are more, and like Kreuger said, it depends on what planet you're on.

EDIT: Oh, and let us not forget Soylens Viridians, otherwise known as "Corpse Starch"...

Homebrew stuff for your viewing pleasure:
The Stormhunters Fluff/Crunch - Updated 10/07/13
The Rust Legion Fluff - Updated 5/19/13
Firaeveus Carron Rules - Updated 12/9/10

Last edited by Protoss119; 08-02-13 at 03:26 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-13, 03:22 PM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

Grox are the ubiquitous livestock animal in the Imperium. They're large, vicious reptiles that are able to survive in most environments and eat near anything. Not even the livestock escape 40k's grim darkness; Grox are so vicious and territorial the only way to herd them is to lobotomize them.

Of course there being a million worlds in the Imperium and it's 10,000 year history there's going to be all kinds of things available to eat. Grox just happen to be the most frequently references livestock animal in the fluff.

As for drinks amasec is a frequently mentioned alcohol. It seems to be similar to whiskey and comes in varying qualities.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-13, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
My understand is that it is heavily based on where they live. If you're on an agri-world then the likelihood that you have access to fresh produce and fresh animal cuts. But if you're posted to a moon or live on a hive world chances are you have to eat some sort of hydroponic plants or algae.
In one of the ravanor books, 1st, the psychic sensitive kid made soup and\or broth to eat. Most of the food is brought in from agri worlds, Live grox, which is then killed and processed down to basically bland mush, and sometimes people 'accidentally' end up in it. Although I have seen references of algae vats on hiveworlds, but they don't grow enough food for everyone. The rich hivers can have food brought in, I remember one talking about fruit from some far off world that sounded like grapes.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-13, 07:38 AM

Apostle's Flag is: Ireland

It was due to either founding planet, or chapter tradition as far as I know. For instance many chapters eat simple rations that the Space Marines consider as a necessary supplement. Where as the Space Wolves for instance are known to drink large amounts of Alcohol and eat meat on a regular basis. (Best example of this is Haegar from the Space Wolf/Wolve novels.) He always had a giant chunk of meat and a full animal horn and/or keg of ale.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode