Can Scouts Swim? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-13, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Cuinlan's Flag is: USA

Default Can Scouts Swim?

Are there any accounts of SM scouts of swimming and/or engaging in underwater combat operations?

I assume it's possible but I've never read of anything happening. Usually it's run here, shoot there, and fly somewhere else.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-13, 09:56 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Don't think it's really mentioned anywhere no but then again underwater combat operations in 40K seem to be rather scare fullstop!

Can't see why they wouldn't though.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-13, 10:07 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

When you have battle brothers who have armour that can allow them to fight as effectively in the vacuum of space, on dry land or under water, why would you want to use scouts? I'm sure they have the capability to conduct underwater operations, but I don't think it's a major part of their skill set.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-13, 10:11 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

They can only swim if they have at least a 10meter certificate

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-13, 10:14 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
They can only swim if they have at least a 10meter certificate
With the appropriate risk assessment signed in triplicate by the company captain.......

Seriously though, that's a good question. I remember something about an underwater Tau colony though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 01:36 AM

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

Didn't, in one of the Space Wolves novels, that the newly inducted battle brothers or scouts swim out and then down to a cleft and put an item of rememberance? It was a test to see how long you could stay down there. And I believe it was officially banned by the chapter because they lost people who stayed down too long. But every one still did it.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 01:42 AM

SoL Berzerker's Flag is: USA

In the book Fulgrim it mentions in the invasion of the Laers home planet that there were underwater battles, since their planet was mostly a water world and there were underwater cities that the Laer had it was necessary for the Astartes to engage in underwater battles. Although, none of them were described in detail.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Because of their lack of armor I'd assume they would be quieter underwater and would be more agile compared to a full battle brother in war gear.

I've been slowly working on a homebrew chapter for a long time now and I figure why not shake up the scenery by including an underwater, camouflaged ass-kicking conducted by my Chapter's Scouts.

I thought about some (renegade?) IG Kasrkin doing some underwater surveying and swimming by SM scouts in seaweed camo, then getting their necks snapped in two. It would be dark and I would use prettier words to describe it, but I figured why not ask Heresy first?

Plus the scouts would probably have a breathing mask/goggles, flippers, combat knife, and maybe some kind of projectile weapon. (SPEAR GUNS AND SEAWEED MARINES!)

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 05:02 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Problem is Scouts ARE in armour.

Where a Space Marines armour is hermetically sealed and will be just like the old diving "dry suits" the scout armour will assist the swimmer in the same way a large brick tied around their neck would.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
Problem is Scouts ARE in armour.

Where a Space Marines armour is hermetically sealed and will be just like the old diving "dry suits" the scout armour will assist the swimmer in the same way a large brick tied around their neck would.
Well I'd imagine they would have armor variant to use like an armored wetsuit or just go in their undies. The other option is they just say, "Screw it!" and swim with the gear on.

I've seen videos of US and UK Special Forces doing combat swims with ammo and other gear on them that would drop your average person under water, so a SM Scout could probably swim fairly well with a brick around his neck.

But how big of a brick are we talkin'?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode