Can Scouts Swim? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 09:09 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
Terminator is powered tho' where leather relies totally on the strength of the person wearing it.
I personally think it'd be harder to swim in terminator armor than leather armor, but that's just me.

Let's say it's juts as difficult to swim in plate armor as it is to swim in leather armor, per the rules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki1416 View Post
Didn't, in one of the Space Wolves novels, that the newly inducted battle brothers or scouts swim out and then down to a cleft and put an item of rememberance? It was a test to see how long you could stay down there. And I believe it was officially banned by the chapter because they lost people who stayed down too long. But every one still did it.
I don't know about that but in the Iron Snakes books the main walks along the bottom to a statue of the Primarch for the same thing.

I've always read about space marines sinking. Iron Snakes, the main character walks along the bottom, and Soul Drinkers, during a ocean voyage several space marines fall off and are said to sink to the bottom 'doomed'.

Last edited by locustgate; 08-01-13 at 12:12 PM.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 02:45 PM
Cruel Commissar

Beaviz81's Flag is: Norway

I would guess they would swim better without the armour if they do that just like normal people. And I think even normal Space Marines can swim unless they have too many bionics.

My story about the commissars Zachary Carrus and Michelle Ionza and their life and crimes https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=123690

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 04:35 PM

Gromrir Silverblade's Flag is: United Kingdom

In Flight of the Eisenstein doesn't the main character emerge from a boarding torpedo into a chemical lake and swim to the top? Or does he just stride along the bottom?

It is said that the guttural sound of Dwarfs bellowing Grungni’s name is enough to make an Elf’s knees knock and a Goblin turn a sickly shade of yellow!
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 04:36 PM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle View Post
I would personally think that all Space Marines have some ability to swim. I believe in the Blood Angel Novels (in one of them) they attempt to attack a fortress run by Fabius of the Emperor's children, being boarded in their (whatever they called their boat) by a form of the Tyranid. I'm fairly sure there was swimming involved.
That's Black Tide. I wouldn't say they were swimming. They magnetized their boots and walked on the hull. But I was surprised Power Armour is apparently buoyant.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon Dan View Post
That's Black Tide. I wouldn't say they were swimming. They magnetized their boots and walked on the hull. But I was surprised Power Armour is apparently buoyant.
It seems that buoyancy is mixed some the marines sink like rocks others hey float, but I've read more about them sinking.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 08:40 PM

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

While Astares armor may be air tight, I have to wonder how it deals with extremes of pressure? A current space suit would be crushed like a beer can at depth and I've never read anything about the various gaskets and connecting joints being pressure resistant. I would imagine the Astares physiology would be more resistant to oxygen toxicity at depth, or nitrogen narcosis, but anything more than 40 meters you still have an issue with cellular tissue struggling against rapidly expanding nitrogen in your body if you come to the surface.

Assuming the above weren't problems in whatever variant of armor being worn, you could probably use the same sort of manouveuring jets/thrusters underwater as you could in vaccum, or just have a propeller attachment to the, um, backpack

What sort of weapons would an Astares (or Scout) use underwater? At the least, if bolters worked, the concussive force of a near miss underwater would still cause significant damage. Does promethium still burn underwater? Plasma weapons would be pretty useless as the water absorbs a lot of energy and the steam displacement blows the Astares backwards.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Cuinlan's Flag is: USA

I would guess a pneumatic weapon like a speargun would work, but with increased capacity like a repeating crossbow.

I'm glad this thread blew up a bit. It helps when writing a realistic story.

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over Two Meters Tall! View Post
While Astares armor may be air tight, I have to wonder how it deals with extremes of pressure? A current space suit would be crushed like a beer can at depth and I've never read anything about the various gaskets and connecting joints being pressure resistant. I would imagine the Astares physiology would be more resistant to oxygen toxicity at depth, or nitrogen narcosis, but anything more than 40 meters you still have an issue with cellular tissue struggling against rapidly expanding nitrogen in your body if you come to the surface.

Assuming the above weren't problems in whatever variant of armor being worn, you could probably use the same sort of manouveuring jets/thrusters underwater as you could in vaccum, or just have a propeller attachment to the, um, backpack

What sort of weapons would an Astares (or Scout) use underwater? At the least, if bolters worked, the concussive force of a near miss underwater would still cause significant damage. Does promethium still burn underwater? Plasma weapons would be pretty useless as the water absorbs a lot of energy and the steam displacement blows the Astares backwards.
The tau were said to use modified missile pods and Tau battle suits are able to withstand vacuum and deep see diving, Farsight and Tau Empire Dex 6th.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-02-13, 12:11 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

A bolter round is basically a solid fuel rocket so it would probably still "work" under water. It would just be the hydrodynamics that would be the problem along with all that steam.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode