Can Scouts Swim? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 06:16 AM

zerachiel76's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm not sure at what point this happens in the novel but in Brotherhood of the Snake there is a section about the scouts swimming. Unfortunately it's been about 2 - 3 years since I read it so I'm uncertain what they were wearing.

I'm also certain there is a renegade chapter who's base is at the bottom of the sea on an ocean world but I can't remember the name of the chapter or the planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"No, I don't care if it's 'fun', you are not attempting to shove your USB stick in my Scart socket....."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
"It won't fit" "That's what they always say first time"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 06:32 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerachiel76 View Post
I'm not sure at what point this happens in the novel but in Brotherhood of the Snake there is a section about the scouts swimming.
They're naked expect for a loin cloth and the little trinket they want to put in the trench.

I would ASSUME that a scout could swim in carapace armor. I can't provide proof either way. We don't see scouts in action too often and we rarely see situations where water is really involved. Combine these two facts and we don't have much to go on.

Last edited by hailene; 08-01-13 at 06:43 AM.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 06:41 AM

zerachiel76's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
They're naked sans a loin cloth and the little trinket they want to put in the trench.

I would ASSUME that a scout could swim in carapace armor. I can't provide proof either way. We don't see scouts in action too often and we rarely see situations where water is really involved. Combine these two facts and we don't have much to go on.
Cheers Hailene, sorry I couldn't remember the details. Did you manage to find any info about the renegade Chapter who's base is at the bottom of an ocean? I'm still struggling on that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"No, I don't care if it's 'fun', you are not attempting to shove your USB stick in my Scart socket....."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
"It won't fit" "That's what they always say first time"

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 06:55 AM

'Fraid not. I want to say I read it in the CSM 6th codex, but I didn't find it.

The Deathwatch rulebook states that Scout armor covers only the body and arms and weighs "only" 30 kilograms. I think a scout sufficiently far along his implantation could swim with, say, 45 kg of gear.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 07:07 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Also from Deathwatch

"Heavy equipment, especially armour, makes swimming
extremely difficult. If a character is wearing armour or is
otherwise weighted down, all Swim Tests are Very Hard
(–30) and a failed Swim Test automatically imposes one level
of Fatigue."
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 07:21 AM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

I imagine it would depend on the planet the Scouts came from. Blood Angels and Salamanders wuld have trouble swimming at first. But once trained, a Marine(even a Scout) has sufficient strength to swim even with some gear. But since the fluff supports the game system, which has little to no rules about swimming, there will be little mention of it. But I also think Space Marines have access to small submersibles capable of infiltration. No proof of this but it makes sense. Can't exactly drop a Land Raider onto an ocean world, though a Stormraven might be able to be refitted for aquatic travel.

Black Tide has an underwater battle with full fledged Space Marines. Not the same but still a fun read.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 07:26 AM

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

That's right, it was the Brotherhood of the Snake, not the Wolves. Thanks for pointing that out zerachiel76.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 07:27 AM

I'm not on concrete here, but sometimes the rules don't match up to the fluff and vice versa.

According to the rules, a character is weighed down as much by terminator armor as leather armor.

Technically, at least to how I read the rules, a character does not need to roll to check to swim in terminator armor so long as he is under "ideal circumstances". That would imply that a terminator could swim.

This is just me, but if I have to take something away from the book, I'd tread carefully when rules get involved. Narrative stuff is safe to use, but when rules and dice get involved...

That's just my opinion. Take it or leave it.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 07:31 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Terminator is powered tho' where leather relies totally on the strength of the person wearing it.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 08:02 AM

Apostle's Flag is: Ireland

I would personally think that all Space Marines have some ability to swim. I believe in the Blood Angel Novels (in one of them) they attempt to attack a fortress run by Fabius of the Emperor's children, being boarded in their (whatever they called their boat) by a form of the Tyranid. I'm fairly sure there was swimming involved.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode