Did Night Haunter foresee more than his end? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-13, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Apostle's Flag is: Ireland

Default Did Night Haunter foresee more than his end?

As a fan of many chapters of space marines, only a few actual pre-heresy legions interest me enough to care.
In really no particular order I love the stories of....
Dorn
Russ
Night Haunter (you all know his real name)
Magnus

I would like to know (despite "allowing himself to be killed")

Do you think Primarch Konrad (Night Haunter) actually foresaw the now strong possibility that the Gene-Seed host of Talos would eventually avenge the Night Lords or do you think it's impossible? Or maybe that the Night Lords might actually come together as Ahriman has possibly banded together a large portion of the Thousand Sons?
Ill admit Curze is my favorite "Traitor" Primarch so these are things I need other peoples opinions on.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-13, 04:01 PM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Pretty sure he saw the demise of his brother Primarchs as well as his legion.

But he simply did not care. He despised his legion and he was a Primarch. What need would they have of prying into mortal affairs? Especially when he saw his end and how futile everything would be.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-13, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle View Post
Do you think Primarch Konrad (Night Haunter) actually foresaw the now strong possibility that the Gene-Seed host of Talos would eventually avenge the Night Lords or do you think it's impossible?
That's explicitly stated to be why he called him Soul Hunter.

Quote:
Or maybe that the Night Lords might actually come together
I don't think Night Haunter wanted that, indeed I think it is something he strove to prevent. The destruction of Nostromo was preformed because of the poison it was seeping into his Legion, a poison that had rotted away everything that had once been noble or just in his sons and in himself. Night Haunter hated himself at the end, that's why he let himself die, and he hated his sons too. That's why he forced them to watch and do nothing.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-13, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Ok thank you, so it is safe to assume that any gathering of Night Lords under the Gene-Seed heir of Talos was considered of no importance to Night Haunter? He hated many things about his Legion so that does make sense. Why would it be that he felt it necessary to destroy his home planet BUT not hate them enough to kill the corrupt sons he had allowed to be created? (If the answer is he did not care at all....then almost all mystery of his beliefs in life are complete and no further history of him would be needed) I am not sure I buy into that belief. you would think he would want his sons to spread terror as much as possible, since that is what he did before he became utterly devoid of caring.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-13, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle View Post
Why would it be that he felt it necessary to destroy his home planet BUT not hate them enough to kill the corrupt sons he had allowed to be created?
I can think of two possibilities. One: he wanted his children to suffer, possibly in the hope that they'd come to recognize (as he had) that they had become the evil they hunted. Two: he still loved his sons. Night Haunter is a very, very conflicted person, I have no problem believing that he could hate his sons for what they had become but still love them enough that he couldn't bring himself to kill them. Personally, I think it was a little bit of both.

Also, it's unlikely that Night Haunter had the ability to kill all his corrupted sons, they compose the majority of his Legion.

Quote:
you would think he would want his sons to spread terror as much as possible, since that is what he did before he became utterly devoid of caring.
Terror is not and never was the goal. Fear is the weapon, the means to the end it is not the end itself. The Night Lords coming to embrace fear as the point was the reason Night Haunter hated them.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

I concede, your answers both make sense and still leave him open for interpretation. I do appreciate your help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode