Did Oldcrons have webway access? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-13, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Silens's Flag is: Wales

Default Did Oldcrons have webway access?

As the title says really. I'm sure they did but I can't find anything in the 3rd edition codex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
"Look they got a-OH MY GOD I'M ON FIRE FOR THE LOVE OF NAKED SANTA IT HURTS!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-13, 12:21 PM
Feed

I am not aware of them having any regular access to the webway under that fluff, however it might be possible that they managed to gain access on a few occasions.

Their space travel at this time was described as being almost instantaneous, able to cross the galaxy in the blink of an eye. There was no mention in that codex of how, but other sources seem to indicate tech called Inertia-less Drive.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-13, 12:29 PM

I don't think so. What I remember was that the enslavers showed up wiped out almost all of the sentient life, the Ctan then ordered the crons to go dormant and they went into hibernation until life appeared.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-13, 02:08 PM

what i remember from a book i read that had Crons in it it was described as increasing speed and just continuing to increase speed past the speed of light and continuing to accelerate. it didnt say what kind of engine they used just that the speed was massive. Probably several hundred times the speed of light.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-13, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyric313 View Post
what i remember from a book i read that had Crons in it it was described as increasing speed and just continuing to increase speed past the speed of light and continuing to accelerate. it didnt say what kind of engine they used just that the speed was massive. Probably several hundred times the speed of light.
Oh dear god just imagine if they ran into something or tossed a necron penny out of a window. Screw advanced weapons they just need alot of pennies.

Last edited by locustgate; 07-28-13 at 02:51 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-13, 03:47 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Seems the fluff is a bit inconsistent on Necron travel. Having FTL capable ships, as well using Dolmen Gates to hack into the webway.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-13, 03:59 PM

The Oldcrons did manage to break into the webway during the War in Heaven, verified in the 3rd ed. codex : "The Old Ones' intergalactic network was breached and lost to them."

In the 41st millennium, it looks like the Eldar have resecured the webway against the Necrons. I don't think the Necrons really need it- they have faster than light travel, teleportation, etc. and I think the main reason they wanted to get into it during the War in Heaven was to better strike at the Old Ones.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-13, 04:52 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxxglax View Post
The Oldcrons did manage to break into the webway during the War in Heaven, verified in the 3rd ed. codex : "The Old Ones' intergalactic network was breached and lost to them."

In the 41st millennium, it looks like the Eldar have resecured the webway against the Necrons. I don't think the Necrons really need it- they have faster than light travel, teleportation, etc. and I think the main reason they wanted to get into it during the War in Heaven was to better strike at the Old Ones.
In the Caves of Ice Ciaphas Cain novel a Necron gate features, along with talk of it possibly going to another solar system. So they still appear to have Dolmen Gates.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-13, 07:13 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
Seems the fluff is a bit inconsistent on Necron travel. Having FTL capable ships, as well using Dolmen Gates to hack into the webway.
Nope, it's not all that inconsistent.

In 3rd edition, the Necrons utilised ships that could travel the length of the galaxy "in the blink of an eye." However, in 5th edition they now generally rely on the webway and Dolmen Gates. The new codex specifically states that without the Dolmen Gates the Necrons would be doomed to utilise their slow-burning stasis ships for travel which would "doom their civilization to isolation". So, they rely on the webway just as much as the Eldar do.

To me, this change in the lore was strange (to say the least) as it drastically reduces the overall threat posed by the Necron Dynasties.

Quote:
That quote was directly referring to the warp plagues and not the Necrons or C'tan. There was absolutely no mention of the Necrons having access to the webway in 3rd edition.

Quote:
Nope, the Eldar haven't "resecured" the webway. The Dolmen Gates work by hacking into the webway network for a limited timeframe, so really, it can't be secured against the Necrons' method of access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-13, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
Words
Ah, right you are! Sorry, I haven't brushed up on my Necron fluff as of late

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode