If you were the Emperor, who would you pick to be Warmaster? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-24-13, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Default If you were the Emperor, who would you pick to be Warmaster?

With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight of course ;)

Definitely not Horus that's for sure.

Obviously some primarchs would be bad choices: Angron, Curze, and Mortarion are "broken goods"

Sanguinius seems like an obvious choice...but he and his legion suffer from "secret flaws" with the potential to be exploited by Chaos

Would you pick someone with unshakable loyalty such as Dorn or Guilliman? Do you think other less conventional choices would work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-24-13, 07:53 AM

I would probably have to go with Dorn on this. Sure he is prone to tantrums when someone disagrees with him but he can keep himself professional and he is unshakable in his loyalty to the Emperor and the Imperium.
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-24-13, 09:26 AM
Cruel Commissar

Beaviz81's Flag is: Norway

Ehm Robute Guilliman maybe. Would be interesting to see how things would have gone with Lorgar in charge as well. He he.

My story about the commissars Zachary Carrus and Michelle Ionza and their life and crimes https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=123690

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-24-13, 09:34 AM

This is a tough one... depends on if the chaos gods have a part to play.

If not obviously horus was the right choice....

Other wise I would have to say:

1) Magnus has the forward planning and learning ability to over come most foes

2) Russ hes the ultimately loyal general plus he would have the great crusade finished faster.

3) Sanguinus hes the best all rounded of all the primarchs and his brothers seem to respect him therefore would be a better combined leader.

Whilst Dorn and Guilliman are good choices I think the flaws in their personal character (anger and pride/snobbery respectively) would hamper their ability to lead effectively.
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-24-13, 10:35 AM

No single one, the best course of action in my opinion would be to share the power and therefore minimise risk and potential to be corrupted as well as nullify their capacity to effectively rebel.
Id split it between Dorn,Horus and Sanguinus, and maybe even with Guilliman.
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-24-13, 11:34 AM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

Guilliman.

Aside from his military prowess and suitability as a big picture campaign planner rather than mere battle leader he activly welcomes and takes part in administration. The friction between the civilian council and the military was one of the factors that led to the Heresy. Guilliman would be able to maintain much better relations with them, indeed he'd likely welcome them. His being the largest legion with its own pocket empire and independent supply base, he'd be well equipped to put down any legions who dissented.

He wouldn't just conquer an empire for humanity but build one.

post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-24-13, 04:45 PM

The biggest problem I have with putting Guilliman, Dornor the Lion in charge is that they aren't generally well liked by their brothers. The Warmaster is a position with lots of power in theory but it requires the consent of other individuals. Horus, who was both generally well liked and possibly the most charismatic of the Primarchs, had some problems getting some brothers on board and I can only imagine the struggle Guilliman, the Lion or (god forbid) Dorn would've had.

Specifically Horus is on good relations (relatively speaking) with the Primarchs most likely to be problematic. Mortarion, Angron and Night Haunter all count him as one of their few 'friends' and his relationship with Alpharius, Perturabo and Lorgar is a lot stronger than their relationships with others. I could see several of these Primarchs making a big issue out of Guilliman (Alpharius/Lorgar) or Dorn (Perturabo/Night Haunter) being appointed Warmaster and I don't think they have the ability to sooth those relations over (over even the interest in doing so).

From this perspective Sanguinious is obviously the second-best candidate (since Horus is out). His Legion's flaw could potentially become a big problem though. We saw them come very close to falling on Signus and I think if the gods had actually cared about that they would've be able to complete his fall.

Russ is right out, since he is generally not well liked or respected (Dorn, Guilliman and the Lion can at least claim that) and is far to headstrong to be able to manage relations with his brothers.

Another issue for Guilliman is that his loyalty is iffy. The fact of the matter is that Guilliman abandons the Imperium in its time of greatest need, that's not something I want to see in a potential number 2.

This leads me to think that an out-side-the-box candidate might be the best. Specifically I'll suggest Corax. Corax isn't necessarily well-liked or charismatic but he also isn't disliked and is fairly diplomatic. He doesn't have the raw charisma to win others to his cause (which is actually kind of a plus as it would slow a Heresy down) but he does have a good understanding of the psychology of his brothers and the patience to put it to good use. He and his Legion show no obvious flaw to be exploited by Chaos either.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-24-13, 06:15 PM

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

A new Warmaster would have to be Guillaumin, hands down, as the best overall strategic thinker and someone who lives the greater role the Primarchs and Astares should have than just fighting.

MEQinc, questioning Guillaumin's loyalty is somewhat spurrious given the circumstances... the Astronomican goes out, no one can get in touch with the Emperor, he knows at least two chapters (WB and WEs) are in open rebellion and actively trying to destroy him, and no other seeming loyalist chapter is doing anything more. Given the circumstances, he was doing exactly what his father would want him to do, carry on the Imperium in any way he could.

Regarding the charisma factor among the Primarchs, its obvious from all the HH books describing the pre-Heresy Primarchs relationships that Horus's charisma didn't slake the competitive nature of his brothers, regardless of their personal relationships with him. Alpharius/Omegon still chart their own course despite their history with Horus; Perturabo/Angron/Curze are all broken and accelerate toward their own dooms despite Horus becoming Warmaster; Sanguinius, Russ, Kahn, Corax, Manus, and Vulkan seem to be in full kicking-ass-taking-names mode before the Heresy; Fulgrim, Dorn, the Lion, and Perturabo are all otherwise primadonnas who think it should be them no matter who's selected; Magnus and Lorgar will both do their same thing - Magnus trying to stop the Warmaster being corrupted and Lorgar trying to corrupt him... they're both on their same headtrip for enlightenment.

I'm not a big Ultramarines fan, but Guillaumin is one of the few Primarchs who seems to embody the 'superhuman' mantle given to him without coming across as a whiney little pussy or a five-year-old having a tantrum at times. Papa Smurf is also smart enough strategically to actually see the patterns Lorgar was creating to undermine the Imperium if he was placed at the center of command. The Heresy would still have happened, but it would have been a 2/3 loyalist 1/3 heretics war.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-24-13, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over Two Meters Tall! View Post
MEQinc, questioning Guillaumin's loyalty is somewhat spurrious given the circumstances... the Astronomican goes out, no one can get in touch with the Emperor, he knows at least two chapters (WB and WEs) are in open rebellion and actively trying to destroy him, and no other seeming loyalist chapter is doing anything more. Given the circumstances, he was doing exactly what his father would want him to do, carry on the Imperium in any way he could.
And yet, placed in the same (or far worse) situation not a single one of his brothers makes that decision. Guilliman alone abandons the Imperium in favour of his own empire (not even the Traitors do this). Guilliman sits down, takes stock and says "Screw you guys, I'm going home". And worse than that, he tries to get his brothers to do the same. He tricks Sanguinious into diverting to his position and tries to convince him to stay. Sanguinious has lost much of his Legion, he's been physically beaten in a way he never thought possible, he's far from home and just as confused as Guilliman (if not more so), but even still he recognizes that his duty is to go to Terra and fight for the Imperium, to die for it if necessary. Other Primarchs repeatedly show themselves to be willing to take risks and make sacrifices (even the greatest sacrifice possible) in order to defend the Emperor and the Imperium. When the cards are down, Guilliman shows himself unwilling to do so. Maybe you can overlook that or think that it wouldn't matter if he was Warmaster but personally I would never, ever chose someone to be in a position of absolute responsibility if I knew they would abandon it if pressed hard enough.

Quote:
Regarding the charisma factor among the Primarchs, its obvious from all the HH books describing the pre-Heresy Primarchs relationships that Horus's charisma didn't slake the competitive nature of his brothers, regardless of their personal relationships with him.
Actually I recall the opposite. I recall Horus going out of his way to meet with various Primarchs, discuss their concerns with his new position and address those concerns.

Quote:
Alpharius/Omegon still chart their own course despite their history with Horus; [snip] Sanguinius, Russ, Kahn, Corax, Manus, and Vulkan seem to be in full kicking-ass-taking-names mode before the Heresy; Fulgrim, Dorn, the Lion, and Perturabo are all otherwise primadonnas who think it should be them no matter who's selected; Magnus and Lorgar will both do their same thing - Magnus trying to stop the Warmaster being corrupted and Lorgar trying to corrupt him... they're both on their same headtrip for enlightenment.
All these things continue because Horus takes over. Would they still have happened if someone else was in charge? I don't think they would've.

Quote:
Perturabo/Angron/Curze are all broken and accelerate toward their own dooms despite Horus becoming Warmaster;
1) Perturabo, Angron and Night Haunter remain fully functional generals long after Ullanor.

2) Horus recognized the best way to utilize Legions like the World Eaters and Night Lords, would Guilliman? By which I don't mean: Can Guilliman recognize the best strategies for them, because of course he could. I mean: Would Guilliman allow those Legions to continue functioning in the manner they are designed to, would he allow them to use the strategies they've come to embrace and depend on? His reaction to their 'excesses' leads me to think he wouldn't. But neither Angron or Night Haunter would be swayed on this, both recognize their roles and both have fully embraced them. Do you think they'd take kindly to goodie-two-shoes Guilliman telling them they're wrong? Horus knows how to make broken pieces work effectively, does Guilliman?

Quote:
Papa Smurf is also smart enough strategically to actually see the patterns Lorgar was creating to undermine the Imperium if he was placed at the center of command. The Heresy would still have happened, but it would have been a 2/3 loyalist 1/3 heretics war.
What 'patterns' was Lorgar creating? The Chaplains were a recognized and fully instituted part of Imperial policy. The Lodges were a far more covert thing, and I don't believe any existed beyond the Legions that turned, so there'd be no reason to expect Guilliman to be more aware of them. Further, the Heresy as instituted by Lorgar is a war unlike anything Guilliman had ever seen before. He's smart, yes, but is he smart enough to see something that literally no one else (not even the Emperor) saw coming?

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."

Last edited by MEQinc; 07-24-13 at 07:19 PM.
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-25-13, 01:55 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Curze. Seriously.

He's paranoid enough to have everything covered, can see the damn future, and is capable of commiting atrocities that even other Astartes and his fellow Primarchs found distasteful. Considering the nature of 40K, and with perfect hindsight knowing what would have been created, I'd have put Curze in charge to put 10,000+ years of fear into the minds of those subjected to his forces violence, and prepared the human race as a whole for the harsh times of the future.

Despite his strong will, it is brittle, and once broken, he could be used; as Emperor, it wouldn't be hard to shore it up and to coach him how best to protect against others, but also to leave that plot hole size chink in his defences for when/if he needed blowing up. The military leader IMHO, should not be the one who is seen as kind and considerate, but one who should be feared by those he faces as well as his subjects. The enforced interaction with others could have cured his neuroses, he could have had a more positive influence on his legion (or the legion's selections at least), and when the silk glove needed to come out, he could pass it on to his other brother Primarchs who were even more greatly loved; Vulkan, Horus, or Sanguinius, say.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode