How would you write this? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-13, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Default How would you write this?

Okay, so in the rules, it clearly states that non-chapter-specific marines are Battle Brothers with the Tau.

My first thought is that one of the worlds the Tau captured (w/o violence) during the Second Sphere of Expansion (you know, the ones they took that caused the Damocles Crusade to occour) - was indeed a Space Marine Recruiting World for a chapter that generally hangs out on the Eastern Fringe.

But, this leaves a lot of holes.

So, I'm going to ask my literary betters:

How would you write a Space Marine Chapter going all buddy-buddy with Tau?

BONUS!!
I have here a model I like to call "Commander Surefire" (plays as Lysander). How would you write his story of how he became a tau allied detachment leader?

That is the sept symbol for Ksi'm'yen on his shoulder, and since they have no official color I painted mine dark green, dark purple with ice-blue highlights (since it is said Ksi'm'yen was taken over by Stealth - and Commander Shadowsun).

If you have any questions, please ask =D
- WarHammerman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-13, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarHammerman View Post
STUFF
Ok....first off that is one of the most bad ass conversions and paint jobs I've seen
Secondly Burn the UNHOLY ABOMINATION OF TECH HERESY.
Thirdly You could go with something similar to the Soul Drinkers. or The Inq or Imp forces could of tried to virus bomb their chapter/recruitment world and only with the aid of the Tau were they able to save their world. I would not have them be to ingrained into the Tau, still have them independent and only aid the tau when it is mutually beneficial. Also I doubt that they would ever stop worshipping the emp, unless the tau some how tampered with their hypnotherapy to make them die hard GG fanatics.

Ps. Can I get a pic of the shield?

Last edited by locustgate; 07-20-13 at 05:45 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-13, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Locustgate, that's a very good idea.
And sure ya can!

And while we're at it, he's his Heavy Bolter Devastators:

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-13, 06:29 PM
hailene's Flag is: USA

This is how I would spin it...

The marines should be both honor-bound and humanitarian. Then the situation that led to the Tau involvement: their chapter-world was under attack from some powerful external force (Tyranids, Orks, whatever you want). This threat proved too powerful for the marines to defeat themselves. They requested aid from the Imperium, but no help was forthcoming. Desperate to maintain their oaths of protection over their homeworld, the marines turn to the Tau.

The Tau agree to assist the marines if the Chapter allows free reign for the Water Caste and human facilitators (human converts to the Greater Good) to enter their homeworld for 250 years. The marines, seeing little other course, accept the agreement.

After defeating the enemy force with Tau assistance, the marines fulfill their portion of the agreement and allow the Water Caste and their human allies to preach the Greater Good. The marines and the human natives are little off-put by having Xenos on their world, but the message of the Greater Good rings true in their ears.

After the 250 years are up, the Tau get ready to pack and leave and...

Here's where I came up with a couple different ideas: 1. The Chapter tells them that they would be interested in joining the Tau Empire. This is a little...fast, in my opinion.

The other one is a bit slower. The Chapter allows the Tau to remain, if the Tau find that acceptable. The Tau stick around. Eventually, a few more centuries pass by. All the marines who grew up without Tau influence have passed on one way or another (or interred into Dreadnoughts). The highest echelons of the Chapter have grown up with the Greater Good, and the Water Caste, seeing this opportunity, offer a place for the Chapter in the Tau Empire. There's a lot of debate, but the conclusion was clear to everyone: the Chapter would join the Tau.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-13, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
The Tau agree to assist the marines if the Chapter allows free reign for the Water Caste and human facilitators (human converts to the Greater Good) to enter their homeworld for 250 years. The marines, seeing little other course, accept the agreement.
The majority of humans in the Tau Empire still worship the Emperor but leave out the whole Hate the Xeno commandment.Tau Empire Codex 4th ed, was not revoked in 6th, Fire Caste.

Last edited by locustgate; 07-20-13 at 06:38 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-13, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

I like the idea.
Of course, the Tau being "occasionally sneaky bastards" may arrange for some of the more "Devout" and anti-xeno's, more experienced Space Marines to meet unfortunate ends... making the space marines more desperate for help, and forcing the Space Marines to recruit more from the now pro-xeno's world, and have less direct opposition from above.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-13, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarHammerman View Post
I like the idea.
Of course, the Tau being "occasionally sneaky bastards" may arrange for some of the more "Devout" and anti-xeno's, more experienced Space Marines to meet unfortunate ends... making the space marines more desperate for help, and forcing the Space Marines to recruit more from the now pro-xeno's world, and have less direct opposition from above.
They could manage to sterilize large populations of anti xeno, or use subliminal messaging to 'convert' them.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-13, 12:24 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Really nice work on the mini's there mate, they look great.

As for your back story, whenever I'm thinking of ideas to justify my allies I like to think of it in terms of one race adopting equipment from another.

So a Terminator leading a Fire Warrior squad? That's just a SM Leader with a squad of scouts that has been fully kitted out with Tau equipment that was produced by that Tau factorum we captured a few months back.....

OR

Flip it on its head, perhaps a more likely occurrence given the Tau's better technology and have the Tau creating warriors that are the equal of Space Marines with equipment to match. Terminator Armour is simply Iridium Armour with integrated shields etc.

Am I alone in imagining a squad of 10 Terminators with Shadowsun? Inflitrate, Stealth, 2 x 4+ Invul Drones etc ......

Last edited by Magpie_Oz; 07-21-13 at 10:41 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-13, 07:15 AM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

Just want to pop in and say that I love your minis too. Sadly, I cannot add more than what has been suggested. Though it is refreshing to see others making an attempt to answer why their forces are allies.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-13, 07:39 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Mother fucking hell those are some amazingly painted minis right there. I will think on how best to ally the two forces are get back to you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode