Favourite and Least Favourite First Founding Chapters - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-30-13, 10:16 AM

Apostle's Flag is: Ireland

Honestly, though most popular (it's obvious GW favors the Ultramarines, the newest game and a giant series of novels proves so) without the Ultramarines the 40k story would be far less annoying and ridiculous. I mean they basically made Calgar a Primarch, running around in the Warp killing daemon princes.......I have changed my mind, the Ultramarines are the most ridiculously boring and powerful space marine chapters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-30-13, 07:01 PM
Bruva I am hit!

Protoss119's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle View Post
I mean they basically made Calgar a Primarch, running around in the Warp killing daemon princes.......

Think you have your characters confused? The whole running-around-the-warp thing is Kaldor Draigo's schtick...granted, Draigo has his own problems, but that's a discussion for another thread.

To answer the thread question, though, I think each legion has its own charm, its own appeal. For that reason, I don't have an absolute favorite, nor an absolute unfavorite.

That said, like a lot of players, I tend to favor the nonstandard over the standard - post-heresy Iron Warriors over Black Legion, for example, or Iron Hands over Ultramarines. Mind, I realize what it is the Ultramarines are trying to do - that is, be to the legions/chapters what Superman is to DC superheroes - and I appreciate that, but as I said, the nonstandard has more appeal to me, likely for being just that: nonstandard.

Nothing about any of the legions turns me completely off from them, though.

Homebrew stuff for your viewing pleasure:
The Stormhunters Fluff/Crunch - Updated 10/07/13
The Rust Legion Fluff - Updated 5/19/13
Firaeveus Carron Rules - Updated 12/9/10
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-30-13, 07:51 PM
Cruel Commissar

Beaviz81's Flag is: Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle View Post
Honestly, though most popular (it's obvious GW favors the Ultramarines, the newest game and a giant series of novels proves so) without the Ultramarines the 40k story would be far less annoying and ridiculous. I mean they basically made Calgar a Primarch, running around in the Warp killing daemon princes.......I have changed my mind, the Ultramarines are the most ridiculously boring and powerful space marine chapters.
The Ultras has always been boring ever since they were imagined as the Ultra Marines. Nothing new there. And they hired Matt Ward as a writer, comeon the way to see a codex is how people (I use that term loosely) see themselves. At least that's how I see it, everything is written from a POV.

My story about the commissars Zachary Carrus and Michelle Ionza and their life and crimes https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=123690

post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 08:13 AM

Apostle's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss119 View Post

Think you have your characters confused? The whole running-around-the-warp thing is Kaldor Draigo's schtick...granted, Draigo has his own problems, but that's a discussion for another thread.

To answer the thread question, though, I think each legion has its own charm, its own appeal. For that reason, I don't have an absolute favorite, nor an absolute unfavorite.

That said, like a lot of players, I tend to favor the nonstandard over the standard - post-heresy Iron Warriors over Black Legion, for example, or Iron Hands over Ultramarines. Mind, I realize what it is the Ultramarines are trying to do - that is, be to the legions/chapters what Superman is to DC superheroes - and I appreciate that, but as I said, the nonstandard has more appeal to me, likely for being just that: nonstandard.

Nothing about any of the legions turns me completely off from them, though.
Yep that was a completely confused statement by me. Read about Draigo and I just kindof wish the Ultramarines had such a crazy story attatched to them.
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-05-13, 09:08 PM

NetherMessenger's Flag is: Netherlands

I really like the Emperor's Children, so far their downfall as well as their primarch's has been the most interesting part of the Horus Heresy novels. They also have a unique color scheme. But in my mind they are less flashy purple and not bright pink as seen in some art.

My second favorites have to be the Luna Wolves, some of the most interesting characters are the loyalists in there.

Of course, every single legion is interesting and there is not a single one I don't love.

Last edited by NetherMessenger; 08-05-13 at 09:23 PM.
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-11-13, 12:37 AM

DarthMarko's Flag is: Croatia

I like :
SW for crushing pompus,one eyed, chaos touched dog called Magnus who joined Horus even when he found out who changed the order for his legion execution.....When Russ broke his back I shed a tear of joy....

DA - love their secretive way and brotherly rivalry between them and SW

Salamanders - human friendly - me like

WB - very interesting legion

So,so : IF,UM,BA

I hate : TS - because of arrogant Magnus ( on contrast I love Ahriman and his band of renegades) and ofc mission impossible marines
post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-11-13, 04:38 PM

Bearer.of.the.Word's Flag is: United Kingdom

Favourite have to be the word bearers, I love the idea that of all the reasons for treachery i.e. power, survival,why the fuck not (ANGRON) and the hatred of the Imperium, only the 17th chose Chaos because it is real, they are gods and so should be worshipped.

Also got a lot of love for the broken sons, Angron, Curze, Sanguinius and the like.

Absolutely hate the Wolves, a bunch of big headed, ignorant, hypocritical, self righteous, judgemental pups, the one legion who manages to eliminate 2 loyal legions both there own and the 15th (who probably would have been the most useful) in one fell swoop, even the 16th cant bost of an achievement on that scale (drop site massacre was a group effort). On top of that is the whole 'My sorcerers are not sorcerers', they are spirituals, they dont use the warp they use the land or some such shit.
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-11-13, 05:14 PM
Bigus Dikus's Flag is: Serbia

Favorite :
- UM great tacticians, stoic, professional, my favorite
...300 UM vs 600 WB ??? Not one UM dead (mark of Calth)
- SW freaking Vikings, love them too much since the start of hobby, burning Prospero and breaking Magnus was Epic
- DA (but only the fallen), I think they are the one who are loyal

I hate : WB - bunch of wusses, they sucker ambush Ultramar and they Lose in the end...:-) O yeah Lorgar is the guy who is to blame for heresy, fething religious nutjob
TS - deamonic friends, they should have been put down the moment cyclops sold his puny soul
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-26-13, 03:16 PM

Cavash's Flag is: Scotland

Favourites: Night Lords and Iron Hands.

Least Favourite: Word Bearers and Imperial Fists.
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-26-13, 07:45 PM

Before The Black Library?

Alpha Legion were a favorite. Their original fluff was pretty awesome. A bunch of arrogant jerks who were ruthless on the battlefield and always trying to perfect the art of warfighting and trying new ways to victory. Then, after the Heresy, adopting a crafty Green Beret style of snake eating guerrilla warfare against the impossibly powerful Imperium because that was the only option left to them and because they were stubborn, arrogant jerks.

After Black Library, the Mission Impossible Marines plummeted to the bottom of the list.

All the setting needs now are some Scooby Doo Marines to see "just who they really are" and then Alpharius can rant about how he would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those stinking kids.

Other than that, I don't really have any "favorite" or "least favorite" Legions. I like the Ultramarines for being a bit more "no nonsense" than some of their bretheren. If I had to pick a "least favorite", it's probably the World Eaters, only because they are so ridiculously cartoony. Seems like the most fun Legion to model, convert and paint. But the silliest of them, story wise. The World Eaters would be completely ineffective as a fighting force.

If Marneus Calgar is supposed to be "one of the Imperium's greatest tacticians" and he treats the Codex like it's the War Bible, but the Codex is garbage, then how bad is everyone else?

True Scale Space Marines: An odyssey in posing, tall scaling and other madness.

The Brief and Humorous History of the Horus Heresy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode