Alpha Legion vs. Thousand Sons - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-13, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Default Alpha Legion vs. Thousand Sons

There's something about the Alpha Legion that screams Tzeentch followers. I honestly think the AL fits Tzeentch more than the TSons. How do you think these two legions match up?

Say...
1) Alpha Legion is tasked with subduing Prospero (no Sisters of Silence support, no custodes support)

2) Current Alphas vs. Current TSons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-13, 08:53 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

1. On one hand, I want to say that the AL could easily infiltrate Prospero. The Thousand Sons seemed, to me, a very human Legion. The AL could have probably slipped in some infiltrators by posing them as scholars, remembrancers, or even refugees from another planet.

On the other hand, I want to say the Thousand Sons are very good (an understatement, I know) with their psychic powers. Finding an infiltrator could be very easy if you could mentally scan everyone entering and leaving your planet.

On the third hand (my mom says I'm beautiful), you could say the Alpha Legion also have some very talented psykers in their force. Both post-human and human. I'm sure they could rig up some sort of psychic mask, much like the one we see throughout the Eisenhorn trilogy.

The Thousand Sons are an arrogant lot, for the most part. If they couldn't find an infiltrator off-handily with their psychic powers, I'd assume they wouldn't dig all that much deeper. Not without one of the higher ups to whip them into diligence.

One way or another, I'd guess the AL would infiltrate the very ranks of the Thousand Sons. Rather than piecemeal infiltration like we saw in Deliverance Lost, maybe the replacement of whole units? That would make it much easier to keep the infiltrators away from the real Thousand Sons. So long as their commanding officer gives a valid reason to keep his men away from the actual Thousand Sons, the chance of discovery drops considerably.

From there...well, stuff. Anything is possible. Maybe the planting of life-eater virus in strategic locations. Or vortex missiles. Or a myriad of interesting ways to destroy a planet or society.

Eventually, one way or another, the AL would find a way in, I think.

If all else failed, I'm sure they had a bunch of blanks stored away somewhere. I think they were prepared to fight everyone and anyone. I could imagine they'd have contingencies to fight against a force of very powerful psykers.

2. That's just a clusterfuck and stuff. The AL fluff in modern times is everywhere. I wouldn't even know where to begin.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-13, 09:12 AM

If the alpha legion couldnt infiltrate that Tsons then they could always manipulate them into going to war with other enemies and just grind them until they are nothing, send them into campaigns where they are totally outnumbered, withhold their support and feed them false information regarding the enemy while the alpha legion feeds vital information to the enemy regarding when and where to strike the Tsons

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-13, 09:21 PM
Bringer of the Apocalypse

Deneris's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontytheMighty View Post
There's something about the Alpha Legion that screams Tzeentch followers. I honestly think the AL fits Tzeentch more than the TSons. How do you think these two legions match up?

Say...
1) Alpha Legion is tasked with subduing Prospero (no Sisters of Silence support, no custodes support)

2) Current Alphas vs. Current TSons
Hailene pretty well covered part one, as the TSons would be blithely going about their business as the infiltrators were rigging up tunneling melta-torpedoes to hit Prospero's core...

As for part two, I assume we're talking about a straight-up fight between both "current" forces? Hard to imagine, as both seem more geared towards raids and small-scale engagements than massed infantry brawls... I imagine the Alphas would rely on local cultists led by operatives and a handful of Battle Brothers, while the TSons would use cultists, summoned demonic aid, a few squads of rubrics and a handful of sorcerers...

If anything, I'd wager the local inhabitants, if any, wouldn't even know there was a war going on, unless a demonic summoning goes awry...

"That, and sending Leman Russ to make a peaceful arrest? That's like sending a rabid Grizzly Bear to teach Kindergarten." - Cole Deschain
"Deneris - you are a legend." - TheKingElessar
"Chingao...sigh..guess I'll stay a slut then..."- Shogun_Nate
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-14-13, 11:21 PM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

I want to say the Rubric Marines alone would give them the edge over the Alpha Legion. Alot of the AL is just power hungry champions fighting amongst each other. The Thousand Sons are guided by purposes, and for all intents and purposes, their Primarch. As we say in the Recent Space Wolves novel he walmost finished off their Fortress Monastery.

Still the Alpha Legion has the numbers, and the cunning to outmanuever their opponent. It would be a very interesting match up indeed.

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-15-13, 12:14 AM
Bringer of the Apocalypse

Deneris's Flag is: Canada

Now there's a thought; Magnus vs. Alpharius/Omegon...

"That, and sending Leman Russ to make a peaceful arrest? That's like sending a rabid Grizzly Bear to teach Kindergarten." - Cole Deschain
"Deneris - you are a legend." - TheKingElessar
"Chingao...sigh..guess I'll stay a slut then..."- Shogun_Nate
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-15-13, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

I was of the opinion that the TSons would be hardest legion to infiltrate...but Magnus and his legion's colossal arrogance is definitely a weakness to be exploited

Which legion do you guys think would be the hardest for the AL to infiltrate?
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-15-13, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I was of the opinion that the TSons would be hardest legion to infiltrate...but Magnus and his legion's colossal arrogance is definitely a weakness to be exploited

Ones where they would have to act completely insane, so fulgrim's legion/World eaters.
I think simply due to how different the White scars are to everyone else and their shared history and culture that is so different to everyone and integral to themselves means that infiltrating them would be difficult, i would give similar reasoning as to why the Space wolves would be a difficult target to infiltrate.

Last edited by Lost&Damned; 06-15-13 at 11:21 PM.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-15-13, 10:13 PM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
The World Eaters would definitely be one. I don't know if they could fake the Nails. And even if they managed that, how could they fake the sort of berserker rage? Even when the Nails didn't bite, the World Eaters were a hyper-aggressive Legion.

I don't know if they could both fake the rage adequately AND not suffer horrendous casualties in the process.

Other tricky ones, I'd guess, would be the Night Lords.

Honestly, I would have thought the trickiest one would have been the Raven Guard. They operate so closely with one another and their MO of their tactics is pretty different from the other Legions.

I can imagine trip ups in White Scar and Space Wolves. Each Legion has lore and mannerisms ingrained deeply into each individual. It seems, at least to me, their culture is built around symbols and ideas that a foreigner couldn't readily adapt to without living in that culture.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-16-13, 05:13 AM

These discussions involving the Alpha legion are stupid. they all end in, "eventually the Alpha legion always win!" Bunch of crap.

Anyway, there are too many variables for this to work out. Although I feel with Magnus on hand, any type of infiltration would be lost. Although I'm sure an Alpha fan boy will pop up to reply, with "Yeah but the Alpha legion could use their wiley wiles on Magnus too and get him to do something dumb!"

I like the Alpha legion too, but they aren't all that special. I like to point at Hunt for Voldorius as an example.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode