Could any of the Primarchs have powered the Astronomicon - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-13, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

zerachiel76's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Could any of the Primarchs have powered the Astronomicon

We know (If I recall correctly) that the Emperor planned for Magnus to take his place on the Astronomicon and the Golden Throne.

I'm wondering whether any of the other Primarchs could have taken Magnus' place.

I think that it appears that Lorgar may have had the latent power to do this but I'm not sure of the others. I have some opinions on 4 at least:

Sanguinius is obviously a psyker (foresight and daemon killing ability) but his maximum strength is unknown.
Night Haunter again is a psyker of some ability (bleak foresight and the 'darkness' ability in "The Dark King" but his limits haven't really been explored.
Corax has a certain amount of psychic ability to use his "stealth" ability but again we don't know his limits. If he can cloak himself from hundreds of people (big if here, I don't know) then this could indicate some strength.
Mortarion's ability to "warp jump" (detailed in Betrayal) could indicate a psychic ability as well.

What does everyone else think? Could any of the other Primarchs have taken the Emperor's or Magnus' place on the Astronomicon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"No, I don't care if it's 'fun', you are not attempting to shove your USB stick in my Scart socket....."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
"It won't fit" "That's what they always say first time"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-13, 08:58 PM
Cruel Commissar

Beaviz81's Flag is: Norway

Horus, that seems to have been his goal.

My story about the commissars Zachary Carrus and Michelle Ionza and their life and crimes https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=123690
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-13, 09:07 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

The Emperor does not power the Astronomicon. He just channelled and directed it. All the thousands of psykers that are fed into it on a daily basis power it.

Of all the other Primarchs though, I don't think any of them had the power to take over from Magnus or the big E. Lorgar was massively powerful, but not in the ways required to handle the Golden Throne or the Astronomicon. Magnus was specifically designed for it, and we saw what it did to the next most powerful psyker in the Imperium when Malcador jumped on board for a joy ride.

Last edited by Khorne's Fist; 06-07-13 at 09:15 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-13, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I'm not sure any of them could either. The only thing that makes me wonder however is their innate link with the warp.

Without doing a who's more powerful thread, I'm not sure whether Malcador is more or less powerful psychically than the Primarchs other than Magnus. He's definitely not as strong as Magnus.

Thinking about the Emperor's plans for Magnus, I've spotted a flaw. Since the Primarchs weren't immortal, I wonder what was the Emperor planning to do when Magnus died and could no longer direct the Astronomicon? Maybe the Emperor thought they were immortal? Otherwise this is another strange flaw in the Emperor's plans.

Interesting thought about Horus. What makes you think he was powerful enough to direct the Astronomicon? (I'm not disagreeing, but I'd like to hear your rationale).

Quote:
"No, I don't care if it's 'fun', you are not attempting to shove your USB stick in my Scart socket....."
Quote:
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-13, 09:56 PM

Just curious, but once the webway was to be completed...would the imperium have even needed the Astonomicom?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-13, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theurge33 View Post
Just curious, but once the webway was to be completed...would the imperium have even needed the Astonomicom?
That's an excellent point, I presume not.

But I think the Emperor only needed Magnus directing the Astronomicon and holding the portal closed after Magnus himself had ruptured it.

Quote:
Quote:
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-13, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerachiel76 View Post
That's an excellent point, I presume not.

But I think the Emperor only needed Magnus directing the Astronomicon and holding the portal closed after Magnus himself had ruptured it.
When magnus barged in he set the emps plans back by god-emperor knows how far. It was stated in one of the books, I think 1k sons, that Magnus only needed to sit on it for a short time.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-13, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by locustgate View Post
When magnus barged in he set the emps plans back by god-emperor knows how far. It was stated in one of the books, I think 1k sons, that Magnus only needed to sit on it for a short time.
Ahh so the Emperor's plans were that Magnus direct the Astronomicon only while the Emperor fixed the problems with the Imperial Webway. That makes more sense than Magnus having to sit on it for ever when he wasn't immortal.

Quote:
Quote:
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-13, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Ahh so the Emperor's plans were that Magnus direct the Astronomicon only while the Emperor fixed the problems with the Imperial Webway. That makes more sense than Magnus having to sit on it for ever when he wasn't immortal.
Not fix the webway but put the finishes it. Magnus basically ran in and threw a bomb into it. I think the emps plan was to bring Magnus back and make him sit on the throne while he fixed it, but then Horus intercepted the message and twisted it (Old fluff covers the 2nd part, my opinion the 1st).

Last edited by locustgate; 06-08-13 at 12:20 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-13, 03:07 AM

Quote:
We know (If I recall correctly) that the Emperor planned for Magnus to take his place on the Astronomicon and the Golden Throne.
The Emperor planned for Magnus to sit the Golden Throne in order to power/protect the man-made section of the Imperial webway (the Thrones original and primary purpose). The Astronomicon is simply a by-product of the Emperor, his soul-light reflected in the warp. These days it is primarily powered by the thousands of souls sacrificed daily for it.

Quote:
I think that it appears that Lorgar may have had the latent power to do this but I'm not sure of the others.
I think (and this is purely speculation) that sitting the Throne is more a matter of control than raw power. That being the case Lorgar's untapped power isn't going to be that useful and neither are any of the other Primarchs more latent abilities.

Quote:
Since the Primarchs weren't immortal, I wonder what was the Emperor planning to do when Magnus died and could no longer direct the Astronomicon?
1) Mentioned above, Magnus was never supposed to direct the Astronomicon.
2) We can't actually say whether or not the Primarchs are immortal. They aren't invincible (they can be killed) but we haven't actually seen a single one die of old age, or even show signs of aging. Sitting on the Golden Throne is probably the safest job Magnus' ever had so he's not likely to die a bloody death doing it, meaning that it's possible he could've done it forever (though he'd get really, really, really fucking bored).

Quote:
Interesting thought about Horus. What makes you think he was powerful enough to direct the Astronomicon?
Horus was powerful enough to go toe to toe with the Emperor it's certainly possible that he's as powerful in other aspects.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode