The Ideal Imperial Citizen - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-13, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Bruva I am hit!

Protoss119's Flag is: USA

Default The Ideal Imperial Citizen

I was looking at the doc for Adeptus Arbites in the old Inquisitor game and came across a small list of crimes against the Emperor:
  1. Failure to make way for an Imperial Servant about his duties.
  2. Failure to disclose heretical thoughts.
  3. Failure to return borrowed materials of the Libras Imperialis within the allotted time period.
  4. Failing to conspicuously carry a side-arm in designated establishments (suicide law XXVC)
  5. Wearing garments of an offensive nature (incitement law CVXII)
  6. Speaking freely when in the presence of a superior.
  7. Improper disposal of the Emperor's materials.
  8. Defacement of Imperial property.
  9. Failure to attend the workplace at the appointed hour.
  10. Failing to maintain respectful silence in a sanctuary of the Emperor.
  11. Being taken hostage by the enemies of the Emperor, thus impeding the lawful servants of the Emperor's will.
  12. Failing to report thoughts of doubt.
  13. Remaining within sight of an Adeptus Arbites Precinct without do cause (loitering ordinance VV)

I knew the Imperium was a dominion of brutal and draconian law, but this is about the first concrete proof of it I've seen yet at the civilian level - and that's not even all of them; there are millions of crimes against the Emperor! However, I know why the Imperium maintains these laws in the face of its myriad, insidious, and powerful enemies. That's not what I'm asking.

Adeptus Arbites are said to be willing to punish wrongdoers for even the smallest crime, in that same document. How would the "ideal" servant of the Imperium behave, one perfectly obedient to Imperial Law and Ecclesiastical doctrine? Without the protection of status - without being a Space Marine or Inquisitor, for example - is it possible to be an "effective" Imperial servant without being totally loyal by the stringent standards of Imperial law or totally pious?

Finally, as I said before, there are millions of crimes against the Emperor with which an Imperial citizen can be charged. Is enforcing them all humanly possible for the Adeptus Arbites, even given their status as exceptional human beings? If not, could Imperial Law be seen as just a blanket mandate for Arbites personnel to be as brutal and vigilant as possible?

Let me know what you think!

Homebrew stuff for your viewing pleasure:
The Stormhunters Fluff/Crunch - Updated 10/07/13
The Rust Legion Fluff - Updated 5/19/13
Firaeveus Carron Rules - Updated 12/9/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-13, 11:02 PM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Sounds to me like some British GW humor and nothing more.

Like how there are certain cities in WH40k that are parodies of real British cities.

I've come across some examples on the lexicanum, I'll try and find them. But off the top of my head, Nottingham was made fun of and deemed an abysmal city or something along those lines.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-13, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Bruva I am hit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post
Sounds to me like some British GW humor and nothing more.

Like how there are certain cities in WH40k that are parodies of real British cities.

I've come across some examples on the lexicanum, I'll try and find them. But off the top of my head, Nottingham was made fun of and deemed an abysmal city or something along those lines.
Ah yes, "subsector England" as it were...

I dunno, man. Humor or not, it might make sense as far as justification for taking down heretics is concerned. Having heretical thoughts or doubt? Heresy! Failing to report doubt or heretical thoughts? DOUBLE HERESY! ~blam!~

I guess it's added security the Imperium in legal matters, where applicable.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-13, 11:19 PM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Well even though it is a humor piece it would explain why billions are willing to turn to chaos at the first possible chance, just to gain a chance to horribly murder their former imperial masters.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-13, 11:29 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Have you read the Imperial Infantrymans Uplifting Primer? It's got some more gold in it. I don't have my copy to hand but somebody else might. One of the highlights I can remember is if you lose said book you get a bullet between the eyes. Abnett makes a laugh out of it in one of the GG novels.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-13, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Bruva I am hit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Have you read the Imperial Infantrymans Uplifting Primer? It's got some more gold in it. I don't have my copy to hand but somebody else might. One of the highlights I can remember is if you lose said book you get a bullet between the eyes. Abnett makes a laugh out of it in one of the GG novels.
I have it, but it's not on me right now. It is indeed hilarious bullshit/bullshit hilarity.

I guess what I should really be asking is, are the Arbites really going to arrest people over a million different crimes? I'm sure they've got priorities.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-13, 11:59 PM

This topic has just brought one thing to mind..... tea and cake or death?

But seriously

The imperium has extream laws with extream punishment so its a choice of which is slightly better. Oppressive regime or death... both aweful but theres little choice.

Anyway all the rules have a reason i suppose be it to stop one thing or another.

Plus there can be no ideal citizen of the imperium since basically there all gunna die eventually...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-13, 12:19 AM

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

I think the creation of servitors was really an attempt to gene-engineer the perfect Imperial citizen.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-13, 08:21 AM
Cruel Commissar

Beaviz81's Flag is: Norway

Servitors is what happens to you if you frak up enough with a machine and a friendly neighborhood Tech-Priest is passing by, I even thinks it's there in the Uplifting Primer inbetween the ways the commissariat would kill you.

My story about the commissars Zachary Carrus and Michelle Ionza and their life and crimes https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=123690
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-13, 09:24 PM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

Grow, work, eat, sleep, and create many offspring for service to the emporer. Then shoot the mutant, heretic, xeno and anyone else the authorities deem as bad. Sounds like an estate run by the Papal States during the Middle Ages. Religious ruling down to a fine comb, with every punishment laid out in the book.

The funny thing about your Ideal Imperial citizens question is that it is often contradicted in the books written within the last 3-4 years. Alot of descriptions I read of Hives and cities sound more akin to a modern metropolis with the 40k Gothic style rather than the strict, religious driven world described in the Codex's. I was reading "The Last Ditch" recently, part of the Caiphas Cain series, and found the description of the captial city to talk about artisans, shops, theaters, brothels, modern media, e.t.c. Less of a 40k sense and more a Star Wars type city.

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode