The Ideal Imperial Citizen - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-13, 08:56 AM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

I always found the "Imperial 10 Commandments" from the 5th ed rule book quite amusing. I can't recall the page right now though.

As for how efficient the Arbites are at carrying out the letter of their laws, I must turn to the new Dredd movie. I believe Dredd tells his rookie that the Judges have a response rate of 4% to all the crime in Mega City 1. They must prioritize what they respond to.

Perhaps the Arbites have a better response rate as the penalty for most Imperial infractions is death. I mean, one of the laws you quoted requires Imperium citizens to commit suicide should the need arise. Lesser infractions, such as speaking freely to your boss or arriving to work late are probably handled by that boss.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-13, 11:38 AM
Cruel Commissar

Beaviz81's Flag is: Norway

Can you recite the ten commandments, that would be a fascinating read, and as for Arbitrators coming to the rescue? Are you sure you want to call them for an employee that is a slacker, they might just file you both in to a Penal Legion for wasting their time if you are lucky, if not they would likely either beat you both into a pulp and leave you for dead for various and stupid reasons they will come up with later. I mean this is a setting were even the most sympathetic of characters actually is a religious fanatic (Ciphas Cain). Okay I admit that's my interpretation of him, but at least I don't think he would rape anyone.

My story about the commissars Zachary Carrus and Michelle Ionza and their life and crimes https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=123690
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-13, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Bruva I am hit!

Protoss119's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon Dan View Post
As for how efficient the Arbites are at carrying out the letter of their laws, I must turn to the new Dredd movie. I believe Dredd tells his rookie that the Judges have a response rate of 4% to all the crime in Mega City 1. They must prioritize what they respond to.

Perhaps the Arbites have a better response rate as the penalty for most Imperial infractions is death. I mean, one of the laws you quoted requires Imperium citizens to commit suicide should the need arise. Lesser infractions, such as speaking freely to your boss or arriving to work late are probably handled by that boss.
Makes sense. That also means if the boss is found to be lax in punishing employees for infractions, the Arbites could just charge the whole lot of them - the employee for being late/speaking freely/whatever, the boss for being lax, and everybody else for failure to report laxity and crime in the workplace, knowing them. "When the machine breaks down, we break down" and all that jazz.

Homebrew stuff for your viewing pleasure:
The Stormhunters Fluff/Crunch - Updated 10/07/13
The Rust Legion Fluff - Updated 5/19/13
Firaeveus Carron Rules - Updated 12/9/10

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-13, 06:17 PM

From page 110 of the fifth edition rule book.

Quote:
BY THE EMPEROR
Thou shalt attend to thy work at the appointed hour.
Thou shalt seek no reward but the satisfaction of thy Master.
Thou shalt know thy duties.
Thou shalt Obey thy Master in all matters.
Thou shalt rejoice in thy Service.
Thou shalt be grateful of thy Master's Favour.
Thou shalt not make improper use of thy Master's comm-links, nor his las-lines, nor his opticon either.
Thou shalt be glad of thy Master's Punishment, for it is deserved and it improves thee.
Thou shalt not speak but Praise of thy Master.
Thou shalt not look upon the works of the Heretic nor speak of them.
Ecclesiarchal Proscriptions MCXVILIV
Hope you enjoyed.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-13, 06:27 PM
Cruel Commissar

That's brilliant that is.

Repped.

My story about the commissars Zachary Carrus and Michelle Ionza and their life and crimes https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=123690
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-13, 09:19 PM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

Thats bloody frick'in messed up. Sounds like the 10 Commandments to a guide of "How to Suck Up to Thy Boss."

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-13, 09:47 AM

It's very dystopian tyranny. I always laugh at the one about obeying thy master in all matters. Note it does not say all work-related matters. Does this mean your boss can determine when you get married or have kids? Not cool.

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-13, 01:37 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

I should point out that, in classic fluff, the Adeptus Arbites did not prosecute normal crime. They only prosecuted crime that was committed against the Imperium, and could not care less about crime - to include felonies or even capital crimes and such - that fell under the planet's "jurisdiction".

This is the reason why Precincts were typically described as having only a hundred or so Arbites and perhaps only one Judge per planet. The sort of crime I can imagine them investigating?

1. Crime against any branch of the Adeptus Terra.
2. Crime that interferes with the planetary Tithe.
3. Crime committed by members of the planetary government (rebellion, piracy, interstellar smuggling, etc.).
4. Crime committed against the planetary government (protests, sedition, rebellion, piracy, interstellar smuggling, etc.).

Know what I mean? It would have to be pretty heavy stuff - or, ironically enough, even petty crime... so long as it involved the Adeptus Terra or other authorities of the Imperium. Local cops (perhaps modeled after the Adeptus Arbites) would handle anything that started and ended within the planet and didn't involve Imperial authorities. I'm not saying an Arbites would watch a murderer gun down normal people and do nothing. If someone ran out of their shop screaming that someone robbed them, though? I doubt the Arbites would bat an eye.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-13, 03:11 PM
Cruel Commissar

The Arbitrators don't maintain order, they just arrest persons who is dissident and serves as a visible reminder of what would happen if the PG decides to make his or quotas less stringent. On a localized level comes local law-enforcement with regular donut-eating cops being the worst and almost as good as the Arbitrators being the best as the standard of the IOM.

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-13, 04:08 PM
HOGGLORD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: That place, you know. That place you went to that one time, surely you remember?

Has anyone considered the posibility that it's a really big cover up? Consider this:

3000 years pre current 40k, the emperor sneaks out from his hidey-hole behind the golden throne, where he had left a papier mâché skeleton a bit after the heresy to distract the tech-priests and custodes so that he could finish that paperback he'd been reading and realises the monumental shit-hole of confusion and religious cults he'd left behind. He went to the newly rising tau and gave them a template for the most enjoyable society he could think of (still dystopian and controlling, but he hasn't got a great imagination when it comes to such things). After he'd done this, he painted himself blue and spent a year being lathargic and useless, slowly weakening his body through every kind of drug and fatty food he could think of, then painted himself blue, cut off his nose and became Aun'Va. The plan is that every time the tau show up, any imperial citizen who can still think somewhat without being mentaly bombarded by propaganda will join up with the tau as soon as they encounter them, so the emperor can re-start the imperium.
This would explain almost nothing, aside from the fact that the Imperium seems, predominantly, to be a shit place to live.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode