Was Angron retarded? (in context of comparison of his comparative kin) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-23-13, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Lux

Default Was Angron retarded? (in context of comparison of his comparative kin)

After reading countless documents regarding angron, such as "Angron" "betrayer" "raven's flight", etc etc. I have come to the conclusion that Games Workshop designed Angron with the intent of being mentally "retarded", I use this word to its' full psychological definition. That Angron was below the average level of intelligence relative to his social comparison.

Furthermore it seems Black Library went out of their way to attribute to him a plethora of physically and behaviorally displayed symptoms that are often seen in retarded individuals, mostly through brain damage in various lobes.

The red eyes, the constant slobbering, twitching face and muscles, along the inability to focus upon any subject for long without the constant desire to do something else.

I just find it interesting that even among primarchs who are super humans, yet humans among one another that Angron was the retarded one of them. Which I suppose makes sense, you have some which are entirely narcissistic, others that are experiencing delusions of grandeur, paranoia and so forth.

Your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-23-13, 05:06 PM

Yeah I'm pretty sure the implants had nothing to do with it.
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-23-13, 05:08 PM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

@title: yeah just no.

I will say that not even ADB could save Angron from GW's established lore on him. It's not the authors fault, there is simply only so much you can do with Angron before changing his story radically.

In Betrayer, he and his legion were still incapable of forming any battle tactics and blindly charged into the fray losing hundreds.

IMO there still was never any reason for the Emperor to send the WE in when you could have controlled fury/savagery (Wolves/Blood Angels).

It was almost like they were made simply so that the other better legions would not have to lose men. A cannon fodder legion.

Last edited by Malus Darkblade; 05-23-13 at 05:21 PM.

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-23-13, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post
@title: yeah just no.

I will say that not even ADB could save Angron from GW's established lore on him. It's not the authors fault, there is simply only so much you can do with Angron before changing his story radically.

In Betrayer, he and his legion were still incapable of forming any battle tactics and blindly charged into the fray losing hundreds.

IMO there still was never any reason for the Emperor to send the WE in when you could have controlled fury/savagery (Wolves/Blood Angels).

It was almost like they were made simply so that the other better legions would not have to lose men.
Why waste time on tactics when blindly charging in works just as well.

Personally I blame that rubics cube more than anything else.
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-23-13, 05:16 PM

It doesn't work just as well because you have to constantly bolster your numbers after unnecessary losses.

There was a reason the other 19 legions did not imitate Angron's tactics.

Also they were like this even before the implants. The implants just worsened things.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-23-13, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Lux

Well I do think by the definition of one being retarded that Angron fit it perfectly, his tactics, plans, and processing of information was drastically below that of all his brothers and below that of the humans that served him (such as the ship captain, and some of his astartes).

Angron was unable to recognize or process that his tactics were inefficient, additionally he was unable to understand and process abstract forms of thinking. Particularly when he was recalling his fight with Russ and the wolves, Lorgar tells him that he is a foolish being for being unable to even see that he lost that fight entirely. Yet all Angron could reconigze due to his diminished mental processes, was that "Oh I punched russ more and he was on the ground longer". He was never able to see the tactics russ used, as well as that at any moment during that fight Russ could have killed him. Lorgar confirmed this, additionally Angron believed his forces kill more wolves yet Lorgar states that from every other source he knew, that it was the wolves who won the ground war too.

Angron is just unable to mentally see things beyond simple configurations, he is unable to process anything in regards to quantitative or abstract thinking.

Angron often times is depicted in both behavior, and thinking as a child. The body of a warrior with the mind of s stunted child stuck forever in childhood. He ruminates upon the same emotionally ques constantly, never able to even understand why he does so and why it bothers him.

Angron, the retarded child of the primarchs.

Last edited by Lux; 05-23-13 at 05:27 PM.
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-23-13, 05:27 PM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

I would think Angron had brain damage. This no doubt reduced his cognitive capacity, in all senses I don't think he would qualify as mentally retarded though. Also the symptons you list are not actually associated with mental retardation but other disorders

Unfortunately we don't understand the physiology of primarchs enough to say more

The World Eaters were the emperors terror shock troops. Those whose reputation would stop wars before they happened, or a weapon to be exhausted to utterly destroy a foe. The emperor did not care about loses of destroyed legions, he was just concerned about his final objective
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-23-13, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnster View Post
I would think Angron had brain damage. This no doubt reduced his cognitive capacity, in all senses I don't think he would qualify as mentally retarded though. Also the symptons you list are not actually associated with mental retardation but other disorders

Unfortunately we don't understand the physiology of primarchs enough to say more

The World Eaters were the emperors terror shock troops. Those whose reputation would stop wars before they happened, or a weapon to be exhausted to utterly destroy a foe. The emperor did not care about loses of destroyed legions, he was just concerned about his final objective
He actually displays many symptoms of mental retardation, unable to process abstract thinking. Constant focus upon the concept of self with no understanding of anything outside of it, in addition to being unable to grasp and process large quantitative lines of thinking.

Unable to focus upon a single subject for long, can be associated with OCD but is often seen in individuals with retardation in that they are unable to process something and thus lose interest in it quickly. Twitchy face along with muscles is seen in many patients with brain damage, or a nerve disorder.
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-23-13, 05:33 PM

You being adamant that angron is retarded made me laugh. +2 and well played for baiting me.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-23-13, 05:34 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

This made my evening.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode