What would you do if you ran the imperium? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-11-13, 10:59 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

i fake my own death in a "heroic battle" then put some cyborg on a life support system that everyone thought was me and have it make odd cryptic gestures now and then that my flunkies would interpret in a 1000 different ways and have them run things.

Kick back, enjoy the fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-12-13, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post
Even if they do decide to invent/innovate, the Imperium is so large, communication between the millions of worlds is slow and unreliable, and the empire is raided constantly by cults, xenos and heretics so even when new things are invented, they rarely if ever enter mainstream Imperial society.
All you need is a handful of planets that are actually innovating, then given about 50 years, it will naturally disseminate into the rest of the Imperium, the reason why the Mechanicum zealously protects knowledge, is because they dont make their own innovations, they are tied to the past, they hoard their relics, but knowledge became something to pursue, then they would to a greater extent unshackle science, due to the fact they can hoard the past, but the future remains.......full of promise.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-12-13, 12:28 AM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

To be fair, the Mechanicus have good reason to be so technologically conservative.

Consider the origins of the organisation. On a macro level humanity is entering its darkest age. As worlds are lost the knoweldge they hold is also lost, never to be regained. The promise of technology has betrayed you as the Men of Iron rise up and try and destroy you. Technology is no longer the solution to a promising future, rather it's something to fear.

On the micro level Mars itself is failing. Your colony is in civil war and the life sustaining devices on the planet are failing. The Sol system is in chaos and sinking to barbarity. Your leaders, visionaries and scholars are dead.

In this climate of fear and uncertainty the Mechanicum is born. From first hand experience they learn not to trust technology, to be skeptical and thoroughly investigate it. They come to think that perhaps it was all their fault, that the men of iron turned against them due to poor treatment, this slowly turns into the veneration of all technology. They're desperate to prevent a repeat of their near extinction. They're too busy trying to survive and preserve what they have to invent new technology.

As to the op.

It's a tough question as you're really actually quite limited in what you can achieve thanks to the sheer size of the Imperium. Any form of institutional reform as Romanov77 is proposing would be nigh impossible to achieve. These are institutions that are immensely powerful with 10,000 years of history, influence and tradition. I don't see how you can overturn that.

I'd be praying for a primach to return. If one did i'd then have a new Space Marine founding, as many chapters as i could. These would be placed under the command of the primarch and have the responsibility of dealing with major threats to humanity in turn.

This would keep the Imperium's defences as they are whilst providing it with a strategic reserve and offensive force. There's this new hostile empire called the Tau? The primarch goes on crusade to deal with them. Hive Fleet Leviathan bearing down on Segmentum Solar? Off goes the Primarch. They'd be used like the legions were in the Great Crusade.

Failing a primarch's return i might still do the founding. The problem would be finding someone you can trust enough to place in charge. I'm thinking Marneus Calgar would be a good bet. He's unquestionably loyal and commands a good deal of respect and good will.

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-12-13, 02:01 AM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

Eliminate all Ordos except the Inquisition. Mechanicus and Ecclesiarch would be the first to go. From there I would start a massive galaxy wide search for SCT and bring all technology up to date. Then I would start cloning massive amounts of Astarte's gene-seeds.

Rebuild the Space Marines, grow the Guard, and try and bring everything under my heel.

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-12-13, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rems View Post
These are institutions that are immensely powerful with 10,000 years of history, influence and tradition
So did many nations Rems, and yet they all Fall. Egypt fell, Rome was brought to heel, Holy Roman Empire was crushed, the naval empire of Great Britain. It all comes crashing down with enough skill, purpose, and a bit of luck.

So yes I disagree. These organizations can be brought down, or at least to heel. The Emporer did it....I'm sure there are others just as good as him who can.

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-12-13, 02:58 AM
Bruva I am hit!

Protoss119's Flag is: USA

-Create successors from the geneseed of the Angry Marines. Send them at threats, watch threats go away.
-Have the magi on every Forge World ever get together and create a bioweapon from the gene from Astartes-pattern baldness and infect the Eldar with it. The Eldar will be rendered so bald and foolish as to be ineffective.
-Build a giant tower meant to resemble a middle finger and put a macro cannon on it. Stick wheels on it and order Creed to infiltrate it into the Eye of Terror.
-Tell the Fabricator General to come up with a new Titan, bigger than an Imperator, designed in my image because I'm so great. If he refuses, sic Angry Marines on him.
-Harness the power of Bald.
-Reclaim the lost 100 Baneblades.
-Propose new psycho-indoctrination to various Chapter Masters compelling Space Marines to facepalm in disgust every time they hear anything about Chaos. This should prevent Spess Mehreens from falling to Chaos since its appeal would be reduced to that of a 13 year old on an internet forum.
-Commission the biggest hat and the largest pauldrons in the Imperium so everyone can know who is in charge. I don't care if I can't wear them.
-In the event that all of this fails, commission all the worlds that can to mass-produce amasec, vox recordings of ancient terran hits, and disco balls. If the Imperium falls, we will make sure there will be only party.

Remember, only the insane have strength enough to prosper; only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Homebrew stuff for your viewing pleasure:
The Stormhunters Fluff/Crunch - Updated 10/07/13
The Rust Legion Fluff - Updated 5/19/13
Firaeveus Carron Rules - Updated 12/9/10
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-12-13, 03:06 AM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
Eliminate all Ordos except the Inquisition. Mechanicus and Ecclesiarch would be the first to go. From there I would start a massive galaxy wide search for SCT and bring all technology up to date. Then I would start cloning massive amounts of Astarte's gene-seeds.

Rebuild the Space Marines, grow the Guard, and try and bring everything under my heel.
How exactly as a a high lord or regent of terra are you going to achieve this?

You try and get rid of the Ecclessiarchy and the Mechanicus and they will declare war on you, taking a sizeable portion of the Imperium with them. Hell you take away the Mechanicus and suddenly you don't have any infrastructure capability. You won't have guns or the ammo to fire them.

You're trying to remove the two most powerful, and critical, institutions of the Imperium. That's not going to work. You can't just wave your hands or issue an edict and they disappear. For starters they have their respective High Lords as well. You'd start a civil war and destroy the Imperium.

As an aside Ordo's are what make up 'The Inquisition'. You have the Ordo Hereticus, Malleaus and Xenos etc So i'm not sure what you mean by that.

Quote:
So did many nations Rems, and yet they all Fall. Egypt fell, Rome was brought to heel, Holy Roman Empire was crushed, the naval empire of Great Britain. It all comes crashing down with enough skill, purpose, and a bit of luck.

So yes I disagree. These organizations can be brought down, or at least to heel. The Emporer did it....I'm sure there are others just as good as him who can.
I don't know of any nations or empires that existed for 10,000 years. The Imperium and its institutions are the longest lasting, most successful human regimes established. One high lord/regent is not going to bring it down.

Last edited by Rems; 05-12-13 at 03:08 AM.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-12-13, 06:27 AM

Virus Bomb everything not completely controlled by the Imperium and build a bomb the size of the Imperial Palace and ram that bitch into the Eye of Terror then dust my hands off.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-14-13, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rems View Post
I don't know of any nations or empires that existed for 10,000 years. The Imperium and its institutions are the longest lasting, most successful human regimes established. One high lord/regent is not going to bring it down.
You know what Rems, YOU KNOW WHAT????!!!!! It's so ture, wwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
i fake my own death in a "heroic battle" then put some cyborg on a life support system that everyone thought was me and have it make odd cryptic gestures now and then that my flunkies would interpret in a 1000 different ways and have them run things.
This was so good, I posted it on Dakka Dakka and had so many funny comments. +1 for humor.

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-14-13, 01:55 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
This was so good, I posted it on Dakka Dakka and had so many funny comments. +1 for humor.
I as also going to add I'd trick them into "feeding" me psykers and pick out the best chicks for myself!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode