Spartan II's VS space marines? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

View Poll Results: Who would win? Spartan or space marines? In general
Spartans 6 13.64%
Space marines 38 86.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-07-13, 10:48 PM
Senior Member
 
DeathJester921's Avatar
DeathJester921's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,266
Reputation: 9
Default

A spartan can flip a tank in the game. They kind of had to add that mechanic so you could continue to use them if they flipped. In the books, they have never done such a thing. Ever. I doubt they even could. Hell, theres no way a spartan II could even flip an elephant, yet they added that mechanic in the off chance that you were ever able to flip one in the first place. We're going off books here, not games dude.

And if you believe a spartan can take a lascannon shot and live, then I have bad news for you as well. A spartan with shields has never been able to take a head on fuel rod shot and live. Only one spartan two lived through it, and he had a jackal shield in front of him, as well as his own shield. And he lost an arm in the process, and was in shock afterward. It would do a space marine quite a bit of damage to his armor, and the flesh underneath, but he'd get back up and be pissed as ever. A spartan II would be dead.

John got lucky with the air-to-surface missile, because he had Cortana's help in calculating what it would take TO deflect it. He even did himself a shit load of damage in the process. Even says that he got lucky in the book, IIRC. If he hadn't had Cortana, he would have died on that training ground. I'm not saying a space marine could do it, because I highly doubt he could. They'd both be just as dead. But John having the help of the smartest AI around helps a helluva lot.

If the spartans weren't in the direct line of fire (i.e., in their own element (i.e. their own terms)) sure they could take a hundred+ covenant and come out with a few scratches, burns, and dents. In the direct line of fire, they'd be dead like any other. A space marine would be wading through, letting his armor soak it all up, and would be able to take a few down with him. In his own element, on his own terms, theyd be dead, and the space marine would be even less harmed than the spartan.

Anything I missed? No? Good.

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
DeathJester921 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-08-13, 02:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Hellados's Avatar
Hellados's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London, England
Posts: 1,404
Reputation: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
The Word Bearer is almost unrecognisable. For a nanosecond, the figure registers to Luciel as an unknown, a threat.
Transhuman responses are already there, unbidden. Adrenaline spikes to heighten an already formidable reaction time. Muscle remembers. Luciel wears his boltgun, an oiled black pit bull of a weapon, in his thigh holster. He can draw, aim and fire in less than a second. The range is six metres, the target unobstructed. There is no chance of missing. Maximus plate, frontally augmented, might stop a mass-reactive shell, so Luciel will fire two and aim for the visor slits. The airgate skin-sleeve is self-repairing, and will survive las-fire damage, but a bolter shot will shred it open, so Luciel also braces for the explosive decompression of a ricochet or a miss-hit. At a simple, subconscious neural urge, boot-sole electromagnets charge to clamp onto the deck plates.

He can make a clean kill headshot in less than a second and a half, two rounds for kill insurance, and probably protect the atmospheric integrity of the airgate.
All this, all this decided, unbidden, instinctive, in less than a nanosecond.

Leaves time to think about girls..... oh no wait! damn!

Space Marines all the way, do Spartans even have Jump Packs?

Also I kept dying to these little allien things on Halo, Space Marine, no problem, killed millions of Orks! As for the Nids HA! they'd use Spartans as tooth picks! Little Alliens that attach themselves to the head v Trygon (think we all know how that one would go!)

Perhaps this should be the new tool used to judge these verses threads, look at the enemies and use that to work out who's the most powerful.

Last edited by Hellados; 05-08-13 at 02:14 AM.
Hellados is offline  
post #23 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-08-13, 04:38 AM
Senior Member
 
LTKage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 302
Reputation: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
And yet, its true the covenant plasma weapons are not the same as warhammer 40K weapons. Temperature for one. Compare plasma weapon overheating to warhammer 40K plasma weapon overheating. One doesn't do anything. Doesn't even harm the shields. The other has the possibility of injuring or killing the wielder. Put it into a spartans hands. He would be annihilated by the overheating plasma gun from warhammer. A charged shot from a plasma pistol only damages shields of a spartan. Put him up against a suit of power armor. It would melt the portion it hit, but it wouldn't do anything to the skin underneat. Charged shot from a warhammer plasma weapon. It can go through tank armor. Adamantium armor (harder than the armor they use in halo) A plasma weapon from halo would not be able to achieve that. It would melt the portion slightly. That is about it.
Maybe that just means that they have better cooling technology. The Tau have plasma guns that don't "Get Hot". Those guns are still pretty good. In fact, I would argue that they are better because their use doesn't put a multi-billion dollar soldier's life on the line. The Imperium might do that if this Games Workshop didn't write this onto every book they put out:

"Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be relearned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war."

Human civilization is basically in a death spiral that it may or may not recover from. And supposing that it only melted the armor, that would still make it very difficult to move....because your armor would still have some serious problems that would impede it's ability to function. Besides, if one side only has plasma guns, what sort of insane game designer would make them the end all be all of everything? This isn't X-Com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
Space Marines can survive wounds that would kill a spartan several times over. That is how much more augmented they are. A spartan can lose a limb, but he'd be in shock (evidence from Fall of Reach). A Space Marine can lose an arm and continue fighting. He could lose a leg and keep fighting. He can lose a heart and keep fighting, because he has a second there to pick up the slack. I'd like to see a spartan come close to this. Space Marine wounds clot almost instantly. Not a spartans wounds.
No argument there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
Really the only fundamental problem that hampers these comparisons is the fact that they are from two different universes. One is set further in the future than the other. The thing that makes these two comparisons so prevalent is the fact that they are both augmented super warriors.
Wait. I read that and thought I saw reason--these are two completely different settings that diverge wildly in terms of game philosophy, world outlook, target audience, story arcs, and so on. But then--

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
By mere fluff alone we can see who is better.
lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
Gameplay isn't a basis to say who is better. Besides, those of us who support the Space Marines can cite Space Marine the game as proof to the contrary.
Yeah, I played that game. In fact, Space Marine is right across from me. That guy is a chump, even compared to the "more realistic" protagonist of Halo: Reach. Besides, you fight more people and the AI is better/more varied in Halo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
We all know that actual named, important characters like gaunt are uber badasses with much experience fighting on the front lines. Hell, if you make it that long as a guardsmen, then you'd definitely be a defined bad ass. It'd be no surprise if they could take out a squad of chaos marines.
We all know that actual named, important product flagship products are uber badasses with lots of fan fapping. It'd be a huge surprise if normal people could take out a squad of chaos space marines.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
I disagree that spartans are better. They are not. You can believe what you want though. Its your opinion after all.
Way to make your opinion objective fact and shit on people who disagree in a make believe world. Bravo!

"Atrocity is recognized as such by victim and predator alike, by all who learn about it at whatever remove. Atrocity has no excuses, no mitigating argument. Atrocity never balances or rectifies the past. Atrocity merely arms the future for more atrocity. It is self-perpetuating upon itself — a barbarous form of incest. Whoever commits atrocity also commits those future atrocities thus bred."

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."

--Frank Herbert
LTKage is offline  
 
post #24 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-08-13, 04:48 AM
Senior Member
 
DeathJester921's Avatar
DeathJester921's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,266
Reputation: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTKage View Post
Way to make your opinion objective fact and shit on people who disagree in a make believe world. Bravo!
No problem budy . Anytime you need it again, just ask

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
DeathJester921 is offline  
post #25 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-08-13, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kiro the avenger!'s Avatar
kiro the avenger!'s Flag is: England
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Where you least expect it
Posts: 1,509
Reputation: 3
Default

*cough*termie armour*cough* and jump packs

........
Through temptation and horror
I have held to my faith
As a drowning man grasps at a rock
Judge me not by my weakness
Remember not my sins of late
kiro the avenger! is offline  
post #26 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-08-13, 07:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Malus Darkblade's Avatar
Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,332
Reputation: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTKage View Post
Maybe that just means that they have better cooling technology. The Tau have plasma guns that don't "Get Hot".
At the cost of much less damage output.
Malus Darkblade is offline  
post #27 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-08-13, 09:25 AM
Senior Member
 
LTKage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 302
Reputation: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
No problem budy . Anytime you need it again, just ask
I knew that I could count on you, bro. Can I get your opinion on this master troll/flamer? FYI, you can write comments on the bottom should you actually be interested.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kiro the avenger! View Post
*cough*termie armour*cough* and jump packs
Wtf are you talking about? They have armor lock and jump packs--a vehicle can hit you and you can kill it with armor lock. Spartans can also turn invisible...and can run...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTKage View Post
Maybe that just means that they have better cooling technology. The Tau have plasma guns that don't "Get Hot". Those guns are still pretty good. In fact, I would argue that they are better because their use doesn't put a multi-billion dollar soldier's life on the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post
At the cost of much less damage output.
That is true but it's also easier to mass produce also easier to mass produce and use in the field. So what if you don't have one guy hauling around a the IG plasma gun? You give everyone that gun and you give one of them a rocket launcher. I also have a feeling that it wouldn't be hard to make "higher" output plasma weapons, which they did to a certain extent in Halo 2.

In conclusion, has anyone played the newest Halo game? And has Vaz destroyed some puppy yet?

"Atrocity is recognized as such by victim and predator alike, by all who learn about it at whatever remove. Atrocity has no excuses, no mitigating argument. Atrocity never balances or rectifies the past. Atrocity merely arms the future for more atrocity. It is self-perpetuating upon itself — a barbarous form of incest. Whoever commits atrocity also commits those future atrocities thus bred."

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."

--Frank Herbert
LTKage is offline  
post #28 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-08-13, 09:46 AM
I am Alpharius.
 
Doelago's Avatar
Doelago's Flag is: Finland
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,375
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTKage View Post
In conclusion, has anyone played the newest Halo game?
Halo 4? That super hero love story shit wankage? I loved it at first, but the more I think about the game the more I come to hate it.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
Doelago is offline  
post #29 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-08-13, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kiro the avenger!'s Avatar
kiro the avenger!'s Flag is: England
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Where you least expect it
Posts: 1,509
Reputation: 3
Default

Librarians, dreadnoughts, rapid-fire rocket lauchers as basic weapons, iron halo, storm shields, power fists, power swords, chain swords as basic
Are we found in halo reach or 4? 4s the most recent and no armour lock there! And it's not invisibility, it's active camo, big difference, and space marines have super eyesight, they could probs detect re sensitive ripples, in fact, in Horus rising, at the start, I believe it's loken who kills some active camouflaged warriors, anyway, active camo is covenant tech, not UNSC. Jet packs are very different to jump packs, jumps provide forward momentum, jet packs go up. Space marines can sprint, jump, do back flip and every thing as well.
Have I missed anything?

........
Through temptation and horror
I have held to my faith
As a drowning man grasps at a rock
Judge me not by my weakness
Remember not my sins of late
kiro the avenger! is offline  
post #30 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-08-13, 06:58 PM
Senior Member
 
LTKage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 302
Reputation: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
Halo 4? That super hero love story shit wankage? I loved it at first, but the more I think about the game the more I come to hate it.
I hand't played it but I can see that it has left you a charred emotional wreck with little, if any, semblance of self left. Looks like a pass for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiro the avenger! View Post
Librarians, dreadnoughts, rapid-fire rocket lauchers as basic weapons, iron halo, storm shields, power fists, power swords, chain swords as basic
Are we found in halo reach or 4? 4s the most recent and no armour lock there! And it's not invisibility, it's active camo, big difference, and space marines have super eyesight, they could probs detect re sensitive ripples, in fact, in Horus rising, at the start, I believe it's loken who kills some active camouflaged warriors, anyway, active camo is covenant tech, not UNSC. Jet packs are very different to jump packs, jumps provide forward momentum, jet packs go up.
Have I missed anything?
Yeah. You could say that Shields=Iron Halo. It's also not surprising that they took armor lock out because it was broken in multiplayer. The things you outlined also have little reason to have any equivalent in any other setting. Why would any non-40k military have something like a Dreadnaught? I still have a hard time understanding why Space Marines have Dreadnaughts.

The Jetpack/Jump pack distinction isn't really useful because you can clearly use a jet pack as a jump pack. If anything, Space Marines lose out.

Well, cloaking technology does render you invisible. That's the whole idea behind cloaking technology although degree of success is an issue. Be that as it may, I'm also pretty sure that anyone who has ever played a video game can tell you that imperfect invisibility is still good and I'm sure that any soldier (Astartes included) would also agree. There's a reason why camouflage exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiro the avenger! View Post
Space marines can [do] every thing as well.
I see you're relying on the "they can do everything" defense. Well played, Kiro the Avenger! I haven't see anything so compelling since Johnnie Cochran's Chewbacca Defense. Masterful.

"Atrocity is recognized as such by victim and predator alike, by all who learn about it at whatever remove. Atrocity has no excuses, no mitigating argument. Atrocity never balances or rectifies the past. Atrocity merely arms the future for more atrocity. It is self-perpetuating upon itself — a barbarous form of incest. Whoever commits atrocity also commits those future atrocities thus bred."

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."

--Frank Herbert
LTKage is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome