• Spartans

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Space marines

Votes: 39 86.7%

Spartan II's VS space marines?

11K views 73 replies 30 participants last post by  ICatoSicarius235 
#1 ·
Who would win in a fight? And why?
A typical Spartan 2 from the halo series, like master chief, or a typical space marine
Or how about a typical Spartan squad VS a typical space marine tactical squad, with say a missile launcher and melta gun
Or what about the astartes against the entire Spartan program?

I vote space marines on all accounts but won't say why exactly now as my phones low on charge.

#41 · (Edited)
Not discounting canon at all, merely stating that tabletop from Gamesworkshop own stance, holds a lower level of canon then do the Black Library books within their mythos.

I am not stating anything is not canon, I am stating to be aware and recognize varying levels of canon within each mythos.

When debating, and or discussing comparisons between different IP's and or mythos, one should be using examples that do not conflict with higher levels of canon.

Thus if one person presents a argument formulated upon the Warhammer 40k table top as the basis of their presentation, yet the example is in conflict with an example brought forth from the black library books then the warhammer 40k table top example is discounted.

The same goes for the halo mythos when using examples, any example is fine taken from canon material however when a higher level of canon within its mythos contrast a lower level example you go with the higher level display.

#43 ·
Just looking at Lux's first post, he is even discounting Halo canon, Vaz. In the books, no spartan has withstood a direct hit from a hunters fuel rod cannon. James had a jackal shield, and his own shield, and it still took off an arm and left him in complete shock with his armor worse for wear. No spartan has survived atmospheric jumps without armor. Ever.

The flipping a 72 ton tank argument is a gameplay mechanic that is essential if you flip your fucking tank. Look at the elephant. There is no way a spartan could flip that big bastard, and yet if you somehow managed to flip it in game, Bungie thought ahead and added the mechanic to flip it back upright. In the books, they have never flipped a tank. The only vehicles they could flip would be warthogs and smaller.

They weren't even in the upper atmosphere of Reach when their pelican was hit. They were well below the upper atmosphere. They maxed out the gel layer for maximum cushion in their armor, they bumped their shields up to max in all areas, and they aimed for a forest to help break their fall. And yet still several died, and over half were left injured from it, horribly or otherwise. That is about 30 or so combat effective spartans that made that jump. When they landed, they were well below half combat effectiveness. Out in the open, the spartans were slaughtered up against the covenant. This you could tell when one of them commed Fred whom was elsewhere on planet. Not to say they didn't put up a fight though, because they did. They put up a hell of a fight.

Honestly Lux, I don't know where you got the dropping from atmosphere and surviving the fall without armor deal. Never happened. Ever. I remember everything from the books. Nowhere did that ever happen. Also a simple google search would further prove my point, but I digress. Its also pointless to suggest using google since you never seem to use it. You seem to make it up as you go.

#44 ·
As I stated in the Halo Mythos, the game is the highest form of canon with the books being secondary. When an example from the books is contrasted by the game, then the games example is taken in place. However all examples from the books are valid as long as they are not made invalid by the game.

Nothing I have said is made up at all

#61 ·
Wait a sec guys, heres a good one to help in better pointing out Lux's bullshit. For this I will need the help of Lux himself, or rather a previous post of his:

As I stated in the Halo Mythos, the game is the highest form of canon with the books being secondary. When an example from the books is contrasted by the game, then the games example is taken in place. However all examples from the books are valid as long as they are not made invalid by the game.
And now we have him directly contradicting himself, since now the stuff from the games is clearly not the end all be all.

#49 ·
Lux, Spartans surviving atmospheric falls without armor is made up. No where, in books or games, has that ever happened. No where, in books or games, has a spartan ever survived a direct hit from a hunter fuel rod cannon. James is a special exemption because he had his shields, and a jackal energy shield held up in front of him, and like I said, he lost his arm, his armor was badly damaged, and he was in shock. Yes, both of your examples are made up.

Game mechanics that are essential cannot be taken as canon. A spartan cannot lift 72 ton. They cannot flip a 72 ton tank. From a canon stand point, Spartan II's can lift about three times their body weight which is double what it originally was because of their augmentations. No, they cannot flip a 72 ton tank. Even in their armor, with it enhancing their strength, they would never be able to flip a 72 ton tank. It would take several spartans to flip it. It took several to push a 160 ton monument on top of a hunter. They had trouble with it, even when they got a good running start and shoulder barged it. So how can 1 spartan, who isn't even the strongest of them (not even by a longshot) flip a 72 ton tank by himself with relative ease?

#50 ·
Classic literature? You mean like Homer? Socrates? Luo Kuan Chung, Sun Tzu? Churchill? Bronte sisters? Stoker? Shelley? Twain? Virgil? JG Frazer? Marx, Wilde? Powell? Nietzche?

Lose the ad hominems, suggesting I am some literary luddite is horribly misplaced.

How you got the ability to teleport from (paraphrased) "he stepped out of the shadow like a big crow" I have no idea.

If games are canon then; http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=sSDAu7sHE_c

Break dancing tanks are a thing then?

#52 · (Edited)
Ok to the people who are siding with halo are you insane

Point 1: I have a best friend who knows everything there is to know about halo and I myself know what there is to know about 40k and we talk about this frequently. He agrees space marines will win

Reason 1 first we talk the biology/augmentation system now a Spartan is taken a as a child and trained to a be deadly weapon for years and get augmentations am I right? So they are still mortals yes?( I don't mean anything by that) Now when initiates are pick it depends on each chapter for example fenris for the final test you have to with stand the night of fenris alone with nothing at all really and have to make it back to the fang now do you think that a spartan with out armor could do that cause the people who choose Spartans make it no offense or anything sound like a spartan can do anything in its armor so in my point of view they are nothing unless they have their armor. Now when a initiate passes the final test they get their whole fuckin biology system changed. Some can even spit acid

Reason 2
Armor and weapons who ever said halo weapons are far stronger then 40k ......
Do you know why it's called 40k cause its the fecking 41st millennium 40,000 years further then halo so do I need say any more

Reason 3

I for one even think imperial guard can beat Spartans you wanna know why one word.......:popcorn: baneblade

#54 ·
Spartans would be moving faster than Space Marines could visually track, then the Spartans would be grabbing the bane blades and be using them as melee weapons against the Astartes.

This really is not much of a comparison, Spartans take this hands down.

#55 ·
Spartans would be moving faster than Space Marines could visually track,
Yeah... Spartans are no where near that fast, very few things are. Spartans are only slightly faster than an average human in armour, Space Marines can move faster than that and can certainly visually track faster than that.

#63 ·
For the record, everyone, I'm sorry. I may have just killed us all.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=124819&page=6

Read and you shall understand why he is now using the word "entity" and the words "apparition of reality" to describe darkreever and soon, us. Again, sorry. Didn't think that one post would drive him over the edge. Sorry.

#67 ·
Lux no mortal no matter what you think spartan is still mortal no mortal can pick up a fecking bane blade now if you still wanna argue on that point I got another......... Titan...... Don't even think of saying that spartan can pick it up .....

Cause I will find you :blackeye:

Trolololololol

#70 ·
What's also worth remembering is that Spartan IIs are fond of spawncamping with snipers, so if by some chance they do kill a Space Marine, they can just keep killing him every time he respawns until he ragequits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.