40k VS Star Wars - Page 6 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

View Poll Results: 40k VS Star Wars
Tie. 2 2.22%
Star Wars barley. 4 4.44%
Star Wars badly 12 13.33%
40k barley 14 15.56%
40k badly 58 64.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-28-13, 05:05 PM
Iniquity's Flag is: USA

Spanner, my apologies. I've been a long time player of the Star Wars RPG, and am a fanboy. I've played the Dark Jedi in an RPG club that just what I described. I eventually retired him because it was to over powered in the setting, but my character operated in an area that did not have a lot of Jedi. I could count on one hand the Jedi throughout the whole club that were more powerful. But it does work both ways. Librarians instantly killing every Jedi they see. Boltguns being uberly more lethal. Star Wars armour being crappy because some mini bears killed cannon fodder wearing some. As you said, both sides are guilty of it.

Being a Chaos player, I don't know how the Gods would react. A part of me thinks Tzeentch would instantly offer Palpatine Daemonic Ascension, considering his proficiency in scheming and plotting. Of course, that would be like booning Abaddon into a Daemon Prince.

You did hit the metaphorical nail on the head though. I know a fair amount of 40K, but a whole lot of Star Wars. Even with the super Jedi powers, the majority couldn't sustain their use through a campaign. Star Wars would lose the ground fight, I've said it before. There are not enough Jedi to outlast the 40K on the ground, and I know of nothing to combat the Titans. Space would eventually belong to Star Wars, though, and once that happened, the ground battle would no longer matter. Base-Delta-Zero = Exterminatus. Reliable FTL travel. Instant communication across the galaxy. The ability to destroy entire fleets at a time coming for reinforcements. I believe Star Wars has the edge in manufacturing power. If 40K didn't destroy key installations, Star Wars would out produce them. One killed Space Marine that they got their hands on...

Purpose is the biggest difference. Star Wars is set in the 'Known Galaxy' and is primarily the Empire or one of the Republics. I imagine that had the Emperor of Man not fallen during the Heresy, the two might be much more similar. Both Emperor's don't particularly like aliens/xenos and have no problem wiping them out. Instead, 40K is ravaged by open war, where Star Wars isn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-28-13, 05:25 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

As far as the space superiority thing goes...we're even comparing two different versions of FTL travel.

Is SW invading 40k? If so, how do they deal with travel in the warp? Do their lightspeed drives still work in a universe that coincides with the warp?

If 40k is invading SW, how the hell can they even go FTL without the warp or astronomicon?

How the hell does any of this even make sense? How do we know, since Star Wars is set a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, that they aren't.....THE SAME EMPEROR?!?!?!

Plot twist.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #53 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-28-13, 05:34 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iniquity View Post
Spanner, my apologies.
No need.

Quote:
I've been a long time player of the Star Wars RPG, and am a fanboy. I've played the Dark Jedi in an RPG club that just what I described. I eventually retired him because it was to over powered in the setting, but my character operated in an area that did not have a lot of Jedi. I could count on one hand the Jedi throughout the whole club that were more powerful. But it does work both ways. Librarians instantly killing every Jedi they see. Boltguns being uberly more lethal. Star Wars armour being crappy because some mini bears killed cannon fodder wearing some. As you said, both sides are guilty of it.
Precisely. Damn these versus debates - they bring out the worst.

Quote:
Being a Chaos player, I don't know how the Gods would react. A part of me thinks Tzeentch would instantly offer Palpatine Daemonic Ascension, considering his proficiency in scheming and plotting. Of course, that would be like booning Abaddon into a Daemon Prince.
I suppose that's again part of the discussion. Does Star Wars have any god-like entities that compare to the Chaos Gods? Or for that matter the C'Tan at the height of their powers? Or the Eldar gods before the fall?

Quote:
You did hit the metaphorical nail on the head though. I know a fair amount of 40K, but a whole lot of Star Wars. Even with the super Jedi powers, the majority couldn't sustain their use through a campaign. Star Wars would lose the ground fight, I've said it before. There are not enough Jedi to outlast the 40K on the ground, and I know of nothing to combat the Titans. Space would eventually belong to Star Wars, though, and once that happened, the ground battle would no longer matter. Base-Delta-Zero = Exterminatus. Reliable FTL travel. Instant communication across the galaxy. The ability to destroy entire fleets at a time coming for reinforcements. I believe Star Wars has the edge in manufacturing power. If 40K didn't destroy key installations, Star Wars would out produce them. One killed Space Marine that they got their hands on...
I'm still not sold on the space superiority thing, but I guess we have to look at what ntaw said with the whole setting. If it was in the 40k universe then the Star Wars fleets would be torn apart by warp storms and Daemon incursions. However if it were the inverse, then there would be no access to warp travel etc, which bones all 40k races except pretty much Tau.

Quote:
Purpose is the biggest difference. Star Wars is set in the 'Known Galaxy' and is primarily the Empire or one of the Republics. I imagine that had the Emperor of Man not fallen during the Heresy, the two might be much more similar. Both Emperor's don't particularly like aliens/xenos and have no problem wiping them out. Instead, 40K is ravaged by open war, where Star Wars isn't.
Indeed. I think the whole galaxy constantly at war factor in 40k does give it that edge in the sense that there are always worlds to recruit from (or Hive Fleets to spawn from etc), whereas much of the Star Wars galaxy depends upon clone production. Also, I saw you mention that minor world consisting of ~6bn (and that was a small world). Compare that to Cadia - 850,000,000 (lexicanum). And that's one planet. I still think 40k surpasses on scale.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #54 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-28-13, 05:58 PM
Bruva I am hit!

Protoss119's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
How do we know, since Star Wars is set a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, that they aren't.....THE SAME EMPEROR?!?!?!

Plot twist.
PALPATINE WAS THE GOD-EMPEROR ALL ALONG!

Also, I will continue to insist:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss119 View Post

This thread.

Homebrew stuff for your viewing pleasure:
The Stormhunters Fluff/Crunch - Updated 10/07/13
The Rust Legion Fluff - Updated 5/19/13
Firaeveus Carron Rules - Updated 12/9/10
post #55 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-28-13, 06:03 PM

No Gods in Star Wars. If going off stats, 16D in a skill is considered 'among the best in the galaxy' and you hardly ever encountered someone with one skill at that level, save a select few. The Emperor had 18-19D in his Force abilities(Control, Sense, and Alter). A few Sith had similar skills, but are either trapped on a specific planet or bound to a holocron. So maybe c'Tan like, but shards, not the old star devouring type.

Star Wars doesn't travel through the warp in FTL, but they would never have been there, so months at the soonest and years at the latest for scouts(a playable class) couldn't out safe routes.

6 Billion population mining an essential resource was too small for the Empire to care about. Coruscant had a population in excess of 1 Trillion before the Empire. Did you mean 850 Million for Cadia? 40K might edge it out, but Star Wars is fairly large sized, and the Core Region planets probably rival Hive cities.

The clones were for a fast, fearless army, much like the Space Marines. Not that tough, but the fearless, follow orders, get the job done. The majority of Stormtroopers are recruited from the Imperial Army. Strict height and appearance standards, then heavily indoctrinated/brainwashed. I'm unsure if it is lack of faith, but Palpatine doesn't use clones anymore, and armed forces are recruited/conscripted. The clone facilities do exist though, and I would give Star Wars the edge in technology.

Stormtrooper
3 3 3 3 1 3 1 9 Sv (5+ physical/6+ energy) Blaster Str3/AP6 Heavy Blaster Str4/AP5
- The armour is better at resisting physical damage, so close combat and non-las/Plasma.
- MFTAS: Always add +1 to their roll when firing ranged weapons.

Spanner, you have your Marvel projects, would you mind lending me your expertise if I did the same with Star Wars?
post #56 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-28-13, 06:18 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Of course I'd be able to lend a hand. My knowledge beyond the films might not be great (I play The Old Republic if that counts for anything ), but in terms of game mechanics and unit creation I'd be happy to help.

Also, my bad on the population of Cadia - I was looking for a Hive World.

"There are approximately 32,380 Hive Worlds in the Imperium" - Lexicanum. Scrolling down that page, it would appear the average population of a Hive World is around the 80 billion mark.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #57 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-28-13, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
Of course I'd be able to lend a hand. My knowledge beyond the films might not be great (I play The Old Republic if that counts for anything ), but in terms of game mechanics and unit creation I'd be happy to help.

Also, my bad on the population of Cadia - I was looking for a Hive World.

"There are approximately 32,380 Hive Worlds in the Imperium" - Lexicanum. Scrolling down that page, it would appear the average population of a Hive World is around the 80 billion mark.
A quick search returned about 22 sectors in the Core Worlds. Originally sectors were divided with 50 planets supporting life, but that was an aged division and many sectors quickly outgrew the system. I might be a little off on this(not referencing sketchbook, getting ready to head to an 1850 tournament). I imagine 'Hive Worlds' would match to the Inner Rim Region more closely. 40k has much more, readily available documentation, but I imagine the two are much closer in scale, with 40k most likely edging out. 32k Hive Worlds is a lot, and Core Worlds probably convert 10:1 on average. Assuming ~75 inhabited planets to a sector, the Core is roughly equivalent to 15-17k Hive Worlds on ~1600ish planets. Inner Rim would be much closer, but not as many inhabited planets, but overall I'm guessing twice the population in 40k over roughly the same amount of space. Maybe.

I'll pm you later with some ideas. I'm figuring Stormtroopers should be fairly equal to Guardsmen as a basis.

On another note, if anyone is interested in playing a Star Wars PbP in the other forum, I could throw one together.
post #58 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-29-13, 12:21 AM

I am quite confident that wh4k would win by far.

They got so much manpower that they could kill the sw galaxy by dropping naked men from orbit.

Technology...let's say they could be considered even, but I'm biased for the wh4k.
Deathstar? I say Phalanx and win.
post #59 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-29-13, 12:55 AM

My biggest issue is the that EU for SW has to be used. Otherwise it just appears that jango was an idiot for attacking a jedi. But according to the EU he did it because it killed jedi before.

Whose to say that imperium warp drives would have to be used. The tau do have access to gravity drive tech things. The ones that generate a singularity in front of the ship and pulls it towards it.

The Necrons have teleportation tech. (not the webway stuff)

So yeah no side wins easily.
post #60 of 202 (permalink) Old 03-29-13, 01:16 AM

heretical by nature's Flag is: Australia

well considering storm troopers cant aim for shit, id say 40k

Heresy Death Guard blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanov77 View Post
I am quite confident that wh40k would win by far.

They got so much manpower that they could kill the sw galaxy by dropping naked men from orbit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode