The Power of the Emperor - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-13, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Default The Power of the Emperor

So I was talking to some friends recently and a thought came to mind:

Tigirius is a powerful enough psyker to be able to in some way read the Tyranid hivemind without having his head explode.

The Emperor is powerful enough that he acts as a psychic lighthouse over most of the galaxy so strong that the Tyranids are attracted to it from outside the galaxy (like a moth to a flame?), he killed Horus' daemonicly possessed soul and is pretty much THE top level psyker in the galaxy, even in his near-dead state.

So the question then becomes could the Emperor conquer the Hive Mind in a psychic showdown if the Tyranids did get too close to Terra? I don't think there is a "right" answer but it'd be an interesting idea to discuss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-13, 05:42 PM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

I think the vast majority of the Tyranids would have to be in the galaxy for the Hive Mind to be that exposed. It has no corporeal form and so long as the Tyranids exist, so does the Hive Mind. As you said, no right answer. But I believe that the easiest mode of attack would be through a Hive Tyrant's synaptic link to the Hive Mind. If it perceived a big enough threat, couldn't the Hive Mind withdraw from that Hive Tyrant? It would be in much the same fashion as the Chaos Gods withdrawing their power from Horus when the Emperor destroyed him. But hard to say.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-13, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon Dan View Post
I think the vast majority of the Tyranids would have to be in the galaxy for the Hive Mind to be that exposed. It has no corporeal form and so long as the Tyranids exist, so does the Hive Mind. As you said, no right answer. But I believe that the easiest mode of attack would be through a Hive Tyrant's synaptic link to the Hive Mind. If it perceived a big enough threat, couldn't the Hive Mind withdraw from that Hive Tyrant? It would be in much the same fashion as the Chaos Gods withdrawing their power from Horus when the Emperor destroyed him. But hard to say.
One of the thoughts we had was the Emperor might have enough oomph to override the synapse of a Hive Fleet itself and act much in the manner of a high level synaptic creature (as they have shown themselves to be highly intelligent and are basically in control of the lower level creatures). Of course this assumes there is a creature near the top somewhere he can force out of control.

Again, I got nothing concrete but it's fun to toss about ideas sometimes.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-13, 06:56 PM
Feed

Exactly how powerful the Emperor is has not been clearly defined. Further, the Hive Mind is not a single entity. He would essentially have to contend with the majority of a Hive Fleet at the very least while fending off daemons in the Imperial webway. Personally I do not think it can be done.

And if the Hive Mind is in fact a singular entity (which I doubt) then its power would measure comparable to almost a galaxy's worth of psykers. No easy feat, Emperor or not.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-13, 07:07 PM

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

It's pretty well established that the Hive Mind is the culmination of every Tyrannid creature, with bigger and smarter ones (Zoanthropes, Hive Tyrants, higher Warrior broods) acting as receivers for more sophisticated localized maneuvers. Then you have ones like Gene-Stealers who can essentially act completely independently from the Hive Mind, so long as a Broodlord commands them. If the connection to the overall Hive Mind is lost, I'm pretty sure Tyrannid's become feral, if I remember DOWII: Retribution correctly.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-13, 07:20 PM

BlackGuard's Flag is: USA

An interesting concept. Though the question in my opinion is not: Can the Emperor take control of or destroy the Hive Mind. The real question is: Can he destroy or control part of it?

The Tyranids work like, well, a hive and they have basic troops commanded by intermediate troops, commanded by advanced ones, so forth and so forth. The Emperor may not be able to snuff out the Hive Mind, or break its link to a Hive Fleet. But I imagine it'd be a much easier task to turn part of the Hive Fleet against itself.

If he could snuff out part of the Hive Mind by breaking the synapse link he could make portions of the Hive Fleet turns feral.

Also, while we have no displays from the Emperor on his power (except his galaxy-wide torch), I have to believe that with a thousand psykers being sacrificed a day for him, his presence in the warp must be much larger now than before. So, in my opinion, if anything the Emperor is stronger than he was against Horus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-13, 07:24 PM
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

warsmith7752's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
its power would measure comparable to almost a galaxy's worth of psykers.
Where you getting that from?

My two cents: The chaos gods are fed from the entire human race and the big E went pretty much toe to toe with them during the fight with horus. If the hive mind is stronger, or as strong as the chaos gods i don't see a way the emporor could defeat it while contending with daemons.

However due to Tzeentch being a tricksy bastard i reckon chaos would rather help mankind repel the xenos filth than see their food source go to waste.

current win rates;
csm 3/1/1
daemons 1/0/0
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-13, 09:56 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

I reckon the Big E would be able to do serious damage to the Hive Mind if it was in close proximity to him or projecting itself at him. The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up! The Emperors beacon is projected across the milky way as well continuing to do whatever needs doing in the webway and carrying out soul bindings etc, my 2 cents anyway.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-13, 02:24 AM

Didn't we already discuss the theory that chaos never wanted horus to win?

Since I can't remember I'll state it again. horus was a pawn and he was to do exactly what he did.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-13, 02:47 AM

BlackGuard's Flag is: USA

Quote:
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!
Lol! Sigged.

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode