Pylons of Cadia - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-25-13, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

Default Pylons of Cadia

Is there any indication that the Pylons of Cadia are unique to Cadia itself? I've heard some people posit that they were created by the Necron to limit the effects of the Warp and incursions into real space, but don't remember anyone providing a referece. As well, do the Pylons have any effect on Warp travel in their immediate vicinity... while they could calm warp storms with their Gellar Field-like resonance, would that also impede any ship from exiting the Warp in their immediate vicinity?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm considering the use of Cadian Pylons in my own fluff, but don't have a full appreciation of their evolving uses.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-25-13, 09:00 PM

The Necrons seeking to overcome the psychically attuned races created by the old ones, devised a method in which they would separate the material and the warp for all time, the pylons on cadia are assumedly just one of many other such installations scattered throughout the galaxy. (bear in mind the pylons were made roughly 60 million years ago)Thereby handicapping the newer psychic races and severely restricting the Old one's power, leaving the galaxy at the mercy of the C'tan.
they limit mutations, they seem to dilute all effects of the warp as far as i am aware.
source is necron codex 3rd edition.

Last edited by Lost&Damned; 02-25-13 at 09:53 PM.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-25-13, 09:08 PM
hailene's Flag is: USA

The Eisenhorn series sheds some light on them. I'll toss out some quotes.

"Thet are totally inert, by any auspex measure known to our race, but many believe their presence explains the quieting of the violent warp torrents that make the Cadia Gate the single, calm, navigable route to the Ocularis Terribus."

A renegade Inquisitor is thinking of using a copy of the pylons. Do keep in mind that he is probably at least partially mad.

"The pylons of Cadia pacify the warp. By amplifying them using extreme-level psykers, they could be made into a weapon. A weapon to destroy the warp! A weapon to collapse the Eye of Terror in upon itself!"

Eisenhorn's response to it:

"He was raving, insane. What patches of truth or sane notions might lurk in his words, I had no idea. There was no way to distinguish them from his lunatic fancy. All I knew was that a pylon, psychically super-charged might do all manner of things, but its side-effects would be catastrophic. It could lay waste to the continent, the planet."

Less helpful than I hoped for, but it's something. Now to answer what I can answer about your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over Two Meters Tall! View Post
I've heard some people posit that they were created by the Necron to limit the effects of the Warp and incursions into real space
I've personally never read anything about this, but then again I don't read too much Necron fluff. I'd put it at unlikely.

Quote:
As well, do the Pylons have any effect on Warp travel in their immediate vicinity
They do, in a way. They calm the area around the Eye of Terror. I wonder if Cadia would be sucked into the Eye of Terror, if not for the pylons?

As to any other effect (increased/decreased time dilation or speeds) I do not know.

Quote:
would that also impede any ship from exiting the Warp in their immediate vicinity?
Unlikely? As vessels have to make it to the Cadian system one way or another. Unless you're talking about a very close proximity like within the system?

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-25-13, 09:21 PM

Quote:
would that also impede any ship from exiting the Warp in their immediate vicinity?
Probably not, as others have pointed out ships traverse the space around Cadia all the time. In close proximity to the Pylons you would also be in close proximity to the planet and I think that is likely to be the bigger issue (that's why they're constantly referring to "translation points" it's too dangerous to translate too close to the planets).

I would also guess that the Pylons, if truly designed by the Necrons, would not be limited to the area around Cadia. The Pylons were seemingly built before the Eye opened, so it is unlikely that they were built on Cadia because of it (though not impossible thanks to predictive sorcery). If they weren't built because of the Eye than there'd be no reason for them to only exist around the Eye and there could therefore be loads scattered around (maybe buried, maybe destroyed/semi-destroyed, maybe just ignored because they're not doing anything).

Although (and this is pure speculation) it is possible that the Pylons were originally built in response to the growing Eldar threat (the most psychicly powerful race the Necrons would've faced) and were therefore designed to encompass their spread. Since the Eye also sits on the center of the old Eldar Empire the Pylons would also surround it. So maybe there are other Pylons on other planets around the Eye (perhaps preventing it's spread in a more subtle manner) or perhaps they were destroyed in the birth of Slaanesh (and the ones on Cadia were a fluke in there survival).

Ultimately, it's a big galaxy if you need there to be other Pylons (or Pylon-esque devices) elsewhere than you are free to come up with whatever reason you want for them to be there.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-25-13, 11:16 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Of all the BL novels out there I think this is the first time I've ever referenced a Caiphus Cain novel for fluff, but I'm fairly sure in one of his books that the Inquisitor Amberley Vail mentions the Cadian pylons when discussing Necrons and their place in the Galaxy. I also vaguely recollect something about a Mechanicus expedition studying them and linking them to the Necrons. Can't say what book it was in though.

Also, the reason all the Black Crusades seem to head for Cadia is because the pylons make it the only stable warp transit point out of the Eye in that area of the galaxy.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-25-13, 11:52 PM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

In other words, whoever holds Cadia, controls the most stable Warp/Realspace interface. Without holding Cadia, any Chaos force beyond would be cut off, isolated and without reliable re-supply. Fun.

I don't know much about the Pylons, but they sound like a variation on the Null Field Matrix, mentioned in the 5th ed Necron codex.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-13, 12:47 PM

stephen.w.langdon's Flag is: United Kingdom

Don’t ask me to reference this as I have no clue where I heard this, but I have a vague recollection that in the original fluff they were supposedly created by the Eldar after the fall as a means of halting the growth of the eye of Terror and the spread of Chaos into the Galaxy.

Now the reasons why this is more likely than the Necrons in my opinion is why would the Eldar have left them standing so long after the disappearance of the Necrons if they limited the physic ability of their race, surly they would have taken them down.

Now it is possible that this has changed, and that the New Fluff indicates that the Necrons are now the builders of them, as we all know how GW likes to rewrite the fluff side of things, when new races... etc, come into the game

2013 Games W-/-L-/-D

Eldar 1-/-0-/-0

Orks 2-/-0-/-0
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-13, 01:50 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

One thing does strike me though. If they were constructed by the Necrons, it wasn't to calm the warp around the Eye, because the Eye didn't exist when the Necrons were last an active empire. Maybe they were to combat the Eldar somehow? Not allowing them to open webway portals on planets with pylons?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-13, 03:05 PM

As i previously stated, it wasn't to close a specific rift in realspace, it was simply one installation of a plan to create a barrier that would forever isolate the two realms of existence.
They were losing the war of heaven to the new psychically attuned races, their response was to try and create a way to forever negate the warps influence and thereby rob their enemies and ensure that they were permanently at the mercy of the C'tan.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-13, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Also, the reason all the Black Crusades seem to head for Cadia is because the pylons make it the only stable warp transit point out of the Eye in that area of the galaxy.
I suppose the irony being if the Imperium really wanted to hamper the incursions of the Black Crusades into realspace, then someone needs to come up with the bright idea about how to destroy the entire planet of Cadia itself and let the Black Crusades try and work their way out of the Eye by themselves.

Aside from that observation, I'm still kinda' confused (excuse my being dense), but from the responses it would seem:
-the Pylons are psychically attuned and would therefore amplify any psykers abilities? Or is this just the ravings of a rouge/insane former Inquisitor in Eisenhorn... the book is coming back to me now.
-the Pylons acutally calm the warp around Cadia facilitating Warp travel in the area, in doing so preventing the Eye from spreading as it's just a titanic warp storm
-the Pylons limit Warp-induced mutations, which I suppose is what allowed the humans that Lorgar discovered there to be in such close proximity to the Eye for so long with only the lavender colored eyes.

On the Necron front, it's wierd that the Necrons would create something that could potentially benefit the Eldar by reducing the Primordial Destroyer's power to use the warp as a weapon, a la Warp Storms, which plague the Imperium based on the Warp Power's discretion. Unless, of course, the Pylons also inhibit development of the Webway, since it actually seems to help anyone with a Gellar-field enabled warp drive.

Oh, from The First Heretic, it pretty well demonstrates the pylons don't seem to make it harder for any Chaos cult summoning a daemon, so it's not like they prevent incursions from the Warp.

Thanks all for the posts and I really appreciate your feedback.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode