How long is a game of 40K in reality? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned
MadCowCrazy's Flag is: Aaland

Default How long is a game of 40K in reality?

Did a search and couldn't find at topic about the subject.

I'm sure it's been asked before but how much time does a game of 40K actually represent?

When thinking about it I'd put a whole game to about 1 minute to 1:30.

Even 10sec per phase seems like allot, 10 sec per turn seems more plausible.

When looking at the Dawn of War 1 intro you could look at it like a normal game of 40K.

Turn 1 SM: The SM move into cover and shoot at the orks.
Turn 1 Orks: The Orks move into cover and shoot at the SM, destroying the Tank, the Orks that didn't shoot Run in the shooting phase.

Turn 2 SM: The SM shoot the incoming Orks.
Turn 2 Orks: The Orks move and assault but are shot down from Overwatch.

Turn 3 SM: They move out of cover and run in the shooting phase, the Dread shoots but the Orks make their cover saves
Turn 3 Orks: The Orks declare WAAAAGH!!! Move out of cover and charge the SMs with a few getting killed from the SM Overwatch.
SM have initiative so slaughter a few Orks, since the Orks charged they slaughter the SM. An ork with Tankbusta Bombz slap it to the Dread at Initiative 1 and destroys it with an Exploded result which kills all surrounding SM and Orks. Captain takes a wound from the explosion.

Turn 4 SM: SM Captain is close to objective so makes a move and run move towards it.
Turn 4 Orks: The Orks try to shoot the Captain down but he makes all his armour saves.

Turn 5 SM: Captain makes it to Objective claiming it for the SM.
Turn 5 Orks: The Orks shoot the Captain again and this time he fails 2 armour saves and dies.

SM player has no more models so the Orks win by tabeling their opponent.

Whole intro is 2min long, there are allot of extra scenes in there to make it more exciting so if you think of it all as happening at the same time 1 min for everything that happens seems pretty accurate to me.

Has GW ever said how much time a game represents? What do you guys think? 1-2 min plausible for a whole game of 40K?

Last edited by MadCowCrazy; 02-18-13 at 01:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 02:17 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

those cant be C:SMs they have CCWs...

in general ive always thought that every 500pts reflected between 5-10min at most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 02:56 PM
Embrace the Insanity

Insanity's Flag is: Australia

Yeah I agree with Fallen, 5 - 10 minutes seems plausible. So about 30 seconds for one side to move, fire/run and assault. It seems right to me.

Also, is it just me or do the orks in the DOW intro look kind of small for Orks?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

30 Seconds is a LOOOONG time in a combat situation. If it takes you 30 seconds to move 6 yards/meters, then fire yours weapon and then run into an attack you are moving really slowly. I guess the movement phase could be 5 seconds, shooting phase 5-10 seconds and assault 10 seconds.

It's not like you empty a clip in the shooting phase, you pop off a few rounds. Burning people for 10 seconds with a flamer is a loooong time, the short range of the template suggests short bursts of flame rather than a prolonged firing.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 07:55 PM
Feed

No, mcc is right. A typical game, even at 1,500 is no more than a few minutes. In reality such a confrontation is still representative of just a small skirmish encounter.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCowCrazy View Post
30 Seconds is a LOOOONG time in a combat situation. If it takes you 30 seconds to move 6 yards/meters, then fire yours weapon and then run into an attack you are moving really slowly. I guess the movement phase could be 5 seconds, shooting phase 5-10 seconds and assault 10 seconds.

It's not like you empty a clip in the shooting phase, you pop off a few rounds. Burning people for 10 seconds with a flamer is a loooong time, the short range of the template suggests short bursts of flame rather than a prolonged firing.
Mag. It's called a mag.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 08:58 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Mag. It's called a mag.
Mag....azine?

Keep in mind the turns overlap, with the same close combats happening in both player's turns and fliers 'stopping' mid-air while the opponent reacts to them. While player turns can almost represent a simultaneous timeline, the whole game would make sense that it spans about 10-20 minutes of real time.

We're playing skirmishes, like Serp said. Now apocalypse games...

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 09:23 PM

The_Werewolf_Arngeirr's Flag is: Canada

Ive played in a few 4k games, yeah those are full on battles.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Mag. It's called a mag.
I prefer clip as I was brought up with Doom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Mag....azine?

Keep in mind the turns overlap, with the same close combats happening in both player's turns and fliers 'stopping' mid-air while the opponent reacts to them. While player turns can almost represent a simultaneous timeline, the whole game would make sense that it spans about 10-20 minutes of real time.

We're playing skirmishes, like Serp said. Now apocalypse games...
Why would apocalypse change anything? All it means is that more things happen at the same time, having 1 person taking 10 steps does not take any longer than having 1000 people do the same thing simultaneously.

10-20 minutes is a very long time. If you used 5 game turn and walked 6" each turn for a total of 30", then translated that into a real world measurement would it really take you 5-10 min (using half your allotted time as it would refer to a single player) to walk that distance? I dont know the exact measurements but I'd guess it's somewhere around 30 yards/meters in length. 1" on the tabletop does seem like 1 yard or meter though scale is a bit morphed due to heroic scale. You could assume a guardsman is pretty accurate to real world size though.

Did some googling and found that the length of a Leman Russ hull length is 4.5" and the official metric measurement for the same area is 7.08 meters. This translates into 1.57meters per inch on the tabletop. Then again the tabletop version of the Leman Russ might just not be to scale.

Anyways, 30" on the tabletop with the above measurements would be 47.2 meters or 51yards. If you walk an average of 4Km/h or 1.1m/sec it would take you 27.3 seconds to walk this distance or 5.45 seconds to walk 6" per turn. Pretty close to my own estimate

Checking wiki it seems walking 4km per hour is something old people manage, 5.32-5-43 is the average for younger individuals (which I would guess applies to combat trained people, and this is walking not dashing from cover to cover).

With an average of 5.35km/h you get 1.49m/s, or 20.1seconds to walk the 30", 4s to walk 6" per turn.

From my calculations I'd guess the movement phase lasts about 5 seconds.

Last edited by MadCowCrazy; 02-18-13 at 10:29 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 11:03 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

In my world a clip is 5 to 10 rounds held together by a metal "clip" ah la the old M1 Garand or the 303 5 round clips.

Something that holds several rounds is a magazine. Mags are what go on you hot rod's wheels.

In terms of time scale I'd look less at straight out over ground speed and more at time taken to execute an attack.

A game of 40k is around about a platoon attack so I'd say the whole game is at least an hour of real time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode