On Angron and the Emperor - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-13-13, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

BlackGuard's Flag is: USA

Default On Angron and the Emperor

A thought just occured to me while reading another thread. This post will contain spoilers, so just be warned.

When the Emperor saved Angron from the slave masters and sent him to his ship. I do not recall the Emperor ever having punished the slavemasters in the first place. Why did the Emperor not just teleport down and stand beside Angron and fight them?

The Eaters of Cities were likely outnumbered but with the God-Emperor fighting beside Angron against slavers who enslaved humans -- you would think that the bond would be formed instantly and permanently. The world where Angron was found would have had to become compliant.

I just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If the Emperor could stand against the Chaos Gods, make pacts with them, sit upon a Golden Throne for 10,000 years -- he couldn't defeat an army of slavers?

If he'd done that then Angron would likely have marvelled at his martial abilities and forever devoted himself to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-13-13, 04:53 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Good point. Instead he ended up with a son who would rather have died with his comrades than join his father and would hold that against him forever. It definitely seems out of sync with how he dealt with the rest of the primarchs.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-13-13, 05:14 PM

That's what we call plot armor. 9 primarchs had to turn to chaos. Angron needed a reason To. In case you didn't notice all primarchs who challenged the emperor never turned.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-13-13, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
That's what we call plot armor. 9 primarchs had to turn to chaos. Angron needed a reason To. In case you didn't notice all primarchs who challenged the emperor never turned.
Er, Mortarion.

Cheers,
Marcus

Blogging the Horus Heresy here
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-13-13, 06:26 PM

i wouldnt trust Angrons interpretation of events, nor would i trust the interpretation of the civillians on that planet.
if that IS the true story , then i think the writers made the emperor look like a complete and utter dunce.
I'd say it was more likely that Angron killed all his friends, so the emperor changed some of the facts in his mind, but Angron's mind being as twisted as it is....well twisted it.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-13-13, 06:36 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

My interpretation is that Angron already had given up, he was already dead in his mind and wellcomed the imminent oblivion that would free him from the torture of the nails. But the Emperor saw different, he had a need for Angron that superceded the broken Primarch's own desires, and thusly swept him away and sent him to the War Hounds to wage battle upon his foes. Sure he knew Angron was dying inside, but found the Primarch to have been too much of an investment to just discard him.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-13-13, 06:37 PM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

I think the Emperor wanted to teach him a lesson, a moral of some sort.

It could just be a piece of lore written without any afterthought. Perhaps ADB should expand upon it.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-13-13, 06:41 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

I think Angron had an ulterior motive with his last stand. He desired to go out with a bang, to ravage and rile up the city states so much that they had no choice but to throw out everything in the arsenal in order to put him down. He wanted to die to end the pain, and used his talents in warfare to make sure a whole world was united against him in a collosal battle. And then, his father arrives and takes him away from his planned death. He have already given up, nothing more to live for, only going through the motions, a zombie desperately seeking the peace for his tortured mind in the deepest dim of battle that never lasts long enough. And if his mind finally blanks out, the Communion is there to drag him back to his tortured existence.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-13-13, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoos View Post

Er, Mortarion.
I'd say that was less of a challenge and more of a dare. The emperor knew that he couldn't survive that high up as did the guy who found him.

Besides russ ferris and vulkan challenged the emperor himself. It wasn't a go kill this guy sort of thing.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-13-13, 08:36 PM

It's certainly a huge mistake of the Emperor's in hindsight.

It's my belief that the fact that Angron had 'failed' to become the ruler of his planet had a massive bearing on this. Relatively late in the crusade (approximately 100 yrs into it) and with Angron one of the last Primarchs to be discovered, the Emperor had less time to spend one on one with his newly found sons, and at that stage he was looking for stable, willing to become compliant worlds. If the high-riders appeared to control and peaceful, prosperous planet, and potentially had contact with the expeditionary fleet to suggest they would become a valued participant within the Imperium, then maybe the Emperor was unwilling to destroy a planet and it's population just to 'bond' with his son.

Cheers,
Marcus

Blogging the Horus Heresy here

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode