Chapter Master vs Chapter Master - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 147 (permalink) Old 01-02-13, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Default Chapter Master vs Chapter Master

Everyone loves a vs's thread and I've seen plenty of primarch ones and other ones like Gaunt vs Cain and whatever else but I'd like to see one focusing on Chapter Masters but only from the main chapters which for me anyway include
Ultramarines
Blood angels
Dark angels
Space wolves
Imperial fists
White scars
Iron hands
Raven guard
Salamanders
Crimson fists
Black Templars
Grey knights
Doom eagles
Blood ravens
So I guess my question is of all the chapter masters from these chapters ( I trust you know who they are) who do you believe is the greatest and why and who would win in a fight which featured all of them at once???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 147 (permalink) Old 01-02-13, 04:46 AM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

The Lord of Baal, Commander Dante. He has the wisdom of age on his side, having organized campaigns before many of the others' great grandfathers were birthed. He may not be the strongest but he is cunning and clever as well as politically astute; something many Chapter Masters lack. In a complete free-for-all, he would bide his time, letting the strongest destroy and weaken each other, possibly uniting some of the others to a temporary alliance. Those of great strength would be too arrogant to ally. Lastly, Dante has the advantage of flight. Few other chapter masters use Jump Packs and none would be as skilled.
From the books I've been reading about the Blood Angels, it would probably take one of their successors' chapter masters to bring Dante down in single combat. Even then, he would be patient and let his foe weaken himself, fighting in a defensive retreat.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."

Last edited by Archon Dan; 01-02-13 at 04:51 AM.
post #3 of 147 (permalink) Old 01-02-13, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

I agree in that I think that Dante would hold an advantage in that he makes use of a jump pack but I wouldn't put it past the raven guard chapter master to also make use of one and haeron from the doom eagles to also use one. So just say these two were to combine forces for a time just to eliminate Dante do you think that Dante could manage to defeat the two of them at the same time??

post #4 of 147 (permalink) Old 01-02-13, 05:05 AM
Eva

Eva's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon Dan View Post
The Lord of Baal, Commander Dante. He has the wisdom of age on his side, having organized campaigns before many of the others' great grandfathers were birthed. He may not be the strongest but he is cunning and clever as well as politically astute; something many Chapter Masters lack. In a complete free-for-all, he would bide his time, letting the strongest destroy and weaken each other, possibly uniting some of the others to a temporary alliance. Those of great strength would be too arrogant to ally. Lastly, Dante has the advantage of flight. Few other chapter masters use Jump Packs and none would be as skilled.
From the books I've been reading about the Blood Angels, it would probably take one of their successors' chapter masters to bring Dante down in single combat. Even then, he would be patient and let his foe weaken himself, fighting in a defensive retreat.
My, that is rather presumptuous of you.

post #5 of 147 (permalink) Old 01-02-13, 05:32 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

It is laughable to suggest that anyone other than the Son of Vulkan the Honoured Chapter Master Tu'Shan of the Salamanders would prevail in any trial you would care to submit.

Even Commander Dante says as much

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tu%60Shan#.UOPKoeSsh8E

While Dante is without doubt without peer, Tu'Shan is much younger yet has a wise head on those young shoulders.

Last edited by Magpie_Oz; 01-02-13 at 05:57 AM.
post #6 of 147 (permalink) Old 01-02-13, 05:33 AM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Decree View Post
I agree in that I think that Dante would hold an advantage in that he makes use of a jump pack but I wouldn't put it past the raven guard chapter master to also make use of one and haeron from the doom eagles to also use one. So just say these two were to combine forces for a time just to eliminate Dante do you think that Dante could manage to defeat the two of them at the same time??
That is intriguing. I guess the flip of what I said could mean that Dante is viewed as the biggest threat and targeted early. Respect could easily flip to fear. Could he withstand an early 2-on-1 fight? Maybe. He's fought Greater Daemons and lived. But the question presented was rather tough. I went with my gut. In a series of one-on-one fights, Dante could certainly meet his match, even with the Jump Pack and tactical experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva View Post
My, that is rather presumptuous of you.
Which part? This really is an opinion based situation. I favor Dante. Who would your money be on? You really shouldn't just indicate I'm "wrong" and not put your support behind another candidate.

My conclusion is reached by what I know of the fluff. Perhaps there is a detail about another I am unaware of. But like many Blood Angels I may just be arrogant; as the Flesh Tearers put it anyway. But as this is about the fluff(I'll leave it to Terminus to decide whether or not to ask the thread be moved.), we are not all going to agree. I merely ask that if you challenge my opinion that you present one of your own.

EDIT: Can you provide the source for Dante saying that, Magpie? I'd love to know more. Reading Red Fury, I have this sense that Dante is always in control. Even when meeting with his advisers, he has a plan in mind but guides them to suggest it instead of just commanding it.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."

Last edited by Archon Dan; 01-02-13 at 05:37 AM.
post #7 of 147 (permalink) Old 01-02-13, 05:45 AM

Hellados's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm afraid you get another vote for Dante here too, I haven't read a lot about the other chapters, especially not the chapter masters as from what I remember they're normally mentioned then the author moves on. Dante however we have heard/seen/read of fighting toe to toe with things that tore a (Venerable) Dreadnought Chapter Master apart after out witting and controlling the Flesh Tearers in a debate.

He also ran a war of Armageddon (but Logan ran the first one).

I would love to hear some fluff about the other chapter masters though.
post #8 of 147 (permalink) Old 01-02-13, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Supporting evidence or whatever can come from fluff or BL novels, when it comes to warhammer 40k I'm insanely engrossed in the books more so than gaming, at last count I own roughly 150 BL novels give or take but I'm happy to see people base their opinions on fluff
post #9 of 147 (permalink) Old 01-02-13, 05:58 AM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Moved to 40K Fluff

I'd have to go for Dante too, he's the best, plain and simple.

(I do love the BA so I'm probably biased and cannot base my argument on anything other than favouritism!)

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #10 of 147 (permalink) Old 01-02-13, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Nobody thinks supreme grand master lord kaldor draigo??? Can't believe that people!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Tags
blood angels , chapter master , fight , ultramarines , versus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode