Questions about STCs and the Warp - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-12, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Soul Reaper's Flag is: Scotland

Default Questions about STCs and the Warp

Hi there, first post as a my new log in, originally went as LongFangFenrika, but lost my password and log in, so here I am.

Anyway, I have two queries of interest.

1. First of all, I came across a passage of dialogue while rereading False Gods by Graham McNeil which I found peaking my curiosity. The conversation takes place between Regulus and the Warmaster.

'Any price?' asked Horus.

'These machines will allow us to achieve the unimaginable, to reach into the Halo Stars and perhaps even other galaxies,'.

Now this may just be hyperbole, and I am taking into account the 'perhaps', but could it be possible in the vast expanse of time between the construction of the STC machines and the Age of Strife that there may have been human expeditions to other galaxies?

2. This brings me to my other point, which is: does the power of the Warp exist everywhere in the Warhammer 40k Universe? Or does it just call the Milky Way its home? Is it possible that the Chaos Pantheon's influence extends everywhere?

Any information concerning these points would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-12, 01:21 AM

jesse's Flag is: USA

If the warp's power could reach as far as other galaxies, then wouldnt anyone travelling in the warp be able to go to the afforementioned galaxies?

a skulltower is just one of those things.
and like all other things in life you have to respect it.
or it will f**k your s**t up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
I suppose it may be to do with Slaanesh's themes, after all horrific rape, incest and perversion among other things can be viewed as weird by others.

Personally I like Slaanesh, I find his followers interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Nurgle for life!
*makes vague attempt at gang sign sort of thing before giving up and going back to making more Nurgle stuff*
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-12, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Soul Reaper's Flag is: Scotland

That is what I am trying to figure out, is there any information on the warp encompassing other galaxies? Or is it like the force in Star Wars and is only projected so far?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-12, 05:22 AM

It's an interesting question. If the warp extends to other galaxies, it sort of begs a pretty huge question : what are the odds that the gods would take interest in our particular galaxy given the 11ty billion other ones out there? Surely, given the size of things there must be a civilization much more grand than even the Imperium.

I think the easiest explanation is that : the warp exists everywhere in the sense that it is totally separate from what we would call space. But it just so happens that our galaxy is one of the few (only?) places where the barrier between the two has broken down so far.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-12, 05:45 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbellicus View Post
It's an interesting question. If the warp extends to other galaxies, it sort of begs a pretty huge question : what are the odds that the gods would take interest in our particular galaxy given the 11ty billion other ones out there? Surely, given the size of things there must be a civilization much more grand than even the Imperium.
Who's to say that Chaos is only interested in our galaxy? They're beings (if you can call them beings) outside the ken of human understanding. They exist outside of linear time. Their capabilities as gods is not understood.

They could literally be waging trillions or more wars simultaneously.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-12, 02:23 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Hell they might even be four 'lesser' gods, with just their 'small' influence of the Milky Way allowed, whilst other bigger and more powerful gods control a great game of their own.

Without anything from GW though, we could guess and speculate all day.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-12, 02:43 PM

Hellados's Flag is: United Kingdom

It's worth noting that the reason that the Imperium can't expand too far from terra is the astranomicum as 'without its guiding light the warp is near impossible to navigate'.

Also i think that the Nids were being attracted to the milky way by the astranomicum leading me to assume that the warp does exist at least in the galaxy that they have come from.

As for the STCs to compare them to 40k tech the 40k tech is utter rubbish. It's like comparing WW1 tech with 21st millennium stuff. For example in the 40k universe it takes a mass of men to just open a Battleships hanger doors whereas ships from the 31st millennium can do it automatically with no crew.

Furthermore they found a STC print out of a knife that changed the way they made knives in the 41st millennium that are more durable, sharper etc etc (I'm guessing a new way of making or folding the metals rather then just casting them into sheet metal).

So yes there is a very good chance that humans could get to other galaxies way back when (again i'm guessing) but it would 'only' mean setting up more beacons like the astranomicum/golden throne that actually has two roles. 1 stop a second eye of terror opening from the tear made when the emperor was making his own webway and 2 act as a guiding light for ships. They haven't always used it for guiding ships as the emperor hasn't always sat on it

Last edited by Hellados; 11-20-12 at 02:53 PM. Reason: STC stuff
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-12, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Also i think that the Nids were being attracted to the milky way by the astranomicum leading me to assume that the warp does exist at least in the galaxy that they have come from.
If the hive mind was attracted by the astronomican then it means that the emperor's light can shine beyond the galactic border but it'd take a psyker of immense power (like the hive mind) to sense it, so humanity isnt just limited technologically or because its at constant warfare (redistributing resources for galactic conquest could result in losing a foothold in our galaxy) but also because we're not evolved enough..
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-12, 12:02 PM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Reaper View Post
1. First of all, I came across a passage of dialogue while rereading False Gods by Graham McNeil which I found peaking my curiosity. The conversation takes place between Regulus and the Warmaster.

'Any price?' asked Horus.

'These machines will allow us to achieve the unimaginable, to reach into the Halo Stars and perhaps even other galaxies,'.

Now this may just be hyperbole, and I am taking into account the 'perhaps', but could it be possible in the vast expanse of time between the construction of the STC machines and the Age of Strife that there may have been human expeditions to other galaxies?
See Graham McNeill's Priests of Mars. It discusses an expedition into the Halo Stars (that was lost) and the subsequent expedition that tries to follow it. From the way it was written, it does sound like McNeill may revisit the expedition.

And then there is Macharius. His crusade ended on Ultima Macharius because Sejanus had to break the news to him that the men under his command would go no further if that mean losing the guiding light of the Astronomicon.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-12, 12:24 PM

maelstrom48's Flag is: USA

Do I remember reading that the Tyranids migrate from galaxy to galaxy, devouring everything? Sort of an 'Independence Day' scenario, if anyone remembers that movie (it was awesome). If that's true, the intergalactic travel is definitely possible.

But my understanding of the warp is that it's essentially emotion made manifest. Source of this being the new Chaos codex, IIRC. A good example of this is Slaanesh being birthed from the raw excess of the ancient Eldar civilization, forming the Eye of Terror. So, if the warp is just a tide of emotion existing in a separate dimension, and intergalactic space is more or less vacant of life... I'd say the warp tapers off past the border of our galaxy.

The Grind - April's Featured Fiction winner!
A World Eater survives another day at the office (barely).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode