Questions about STCs and the Warp - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-12, 12:33 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstrom48 View Post
Do I remember reading that the Tyranids migrate from galaxy to galaxy, devouring everything? If that's true, the intergalactic travel is definitely possible.
True, but they aren't humans, and how long did it take them to get here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-12, 02:51 PM

Hellados's Flag is: United Kingdom

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-12, 05:18 PM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstrom48 View Post
Do I remember reading that the Tyranids migrate from galaxy to galaxy, devouring everything? Sort of an 'Independence Day' scenario, if anyone remembers that movie (it was awesome). If that's true, the intergalactic travel is definitely possible.
Tyranid FTL travel differs from Imperial FTL. The Imperium relies on the warp. The Tyranids use Narvhals. Those don't rely on the warp at all.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-12, 08:06 PM

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-12, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Soul Reaper's Flag is: Scotland

The Priests of Mars thank you.

I can well imagine Intergalactic space having no emotional mirror in the Warp, but there are billions of galaxies, and life does seem to be pretty common in the setting of Warhammer 40k. Wouldn't it be safe to say that there are trillions of civilizations in the Universe? Each one possibly emotionally as complex as Humans?

I picked out another passage in Galaxy in Flames, spoken by the emissary of the Gods, Sar'kell:

'The victory of the Gods is as inevitable as the passing of time and the mortality of flesh. Do the gods not rule an entire universe hidden from your eyes, Warmaster?.'

More inclined to believe what a senior Adept of the Mechanicum was saying previously, compared with this statement from a Daemon, however.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-12, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellados View Post
I believe that's new fluff, i'm pretty sure Nids used to use the warp
It doesn't really matter what they used to use. Current fluff would have retconned it, anyway.

I skimmed through the fourth and third edition codices and I didn't see any specific mention of their FTL. I only skimmed it, but could you find a source stating that they used the warp to travel?
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-12, 01:03 PM

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-12, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellados View Post
sorry that was meant as a question

'Is that new fluff, I thought the Nids used the warp'
Ah, I see. Question marks, Hellados. They're an invaluable tool when we can't hear each other's voice's :D.

But, yes, it's "new". Came out with the fifth edition codex. From page 19 of the codex:

"Tyranid Hive Fleets do not travel through Warpspace....Whilst it is true that the Tyranids are constrained by sublight speeds whilst within the borders of a planetary system, they are capable of far greater velocity when traveling interstellar space. That they can do so is thanks to a small, almost innocuous vessel classified by the Imperium as a Narvhal....

It can somehow harness [a] system's own gravity, creating a compressed-space transit corridor through which the Narvhal and nearby vessels can cover vast distances."
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-12, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
Tyranid FTL travel differs from Imperial FTL. The Imperium relies on the warp. The Tyranids use Narvhals. Those don't rely on the warp at all.
They may not travel using the warp (which I personally feel is dumb) but they are still very much reliant on it. The Hive Mind exists within the warp and is the guiding force of the Nids.

A 40k Warp Drive would be fully capable of taking a vessel out into the void between galaxies. The reason this is not done is a navigating issue, not a tech one. Given that the Hive Mind is apparently (or assumed to be) capable of perceiving the Astronomicon from other galaxies it is possible that with better sensors than the Imperium possesses navigation could become possible in the void between galaxies. The primary reason why I don't think humanity would've been able to colonize other galaxies is simply that the time-scale involved is such that it is unlikely the materials of the ship, let alone the people on board, would be able to survive. Remember that time is not stagnant within the warp, materials will still decay, and also that the warp exerts incredible pressures upon material objects within it. At some point the Gellar fields would fail under this pressure and the ship would be destroyed or left drifting in the middle of nowhere.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode