The drawbacks of bionics...what are they? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-12, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Default The drawbacks of bionics...what are they?

In Wrath of Iron, the Iron Hands' bionics seem to improve their performance with almost no drawbacks...why don't all chapters improve their combat effectiveness with bionic augmentations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-12, 10:47 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

not sure if a metal prostectic is an enhancement.

Being able to feel and not rusting are two advantages of flesh I can think of. You'd also have some power supply problems
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-12, 10:58 AM
Feed

It's psychological.

Most sources will state that bionics provide no real advantages over flesh when applied to a space marine. For a human perhaps, but most astartes only resort to bionics because they've lost their original... bits.

So, the iron Hands may be deluding themselves into believing they're being improved in some way. Or maybe they've got refined bionics?

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-12, 11:47 AM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

There's an elements of ritual and custom as well.

The Space Marines are gene-wrought from the hand of the emperor, made in the image of their holy primarchs. To tamper with that form is not something you voluntarily do (Iron hands excepted it being a part of their culture from the begging). You do not improve on the Emperor's work, you merely fix what's broken. Added to this is 10,000 years of tradition and doing things a certain way. Those are not habits to be easily broken.

It's like how the Wolves prefer to fight with their boots on the ground to the point of tactical detriment.

There's also the fact you then have to make and maintain all those bionics, expensive and laborious process.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-12, 12:00 PM

Sangus Bane's Flag is: Netherlands

One huge advantage of Bionics is that they are more resilient than flesh.
A las pistol might burn the skin of a space marine but it will only scratch the paint off of a metal arm.

Serious injuries with loss of blood can also be prevented with the use of bionics, though SM bodies tend to fix themselves fairly fast.

A disadvantage is an EMP, if all power sources are rendered useless, then so is the bionic.

Please have a look at my space marines.

Lord Bane says: "Keep your water bill low, drink more beer!"

My girlfriend said she didn't like Daft Punk. She's single now. Hahahahahaha lol, just kidding. She's dead...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-12, 01:09 PM

Its been a while since i last read "feat of iron" however if i remember correctly the Eldar devised ways to nullify the iron hands augments, their bionic components were rendered useless and became naught but cumbersome liabilities, ironically it wasn't the flesh that failed, but what they replaced the flesh with (the eldar also poisoned Ferrus manus through his augmented hands.), my guess is the eldar used some sort of EMP.

furthermore, in a short story wherein a Raven guard and a iron hand work together to discover some form of intelligence (if my memory serves correctly) the iron hand was loud, slow and encumbered by his bionics.

also a quote from "wrath of iron":
they are not my hands.
This fact is forgotten by my brothers – inexplicably, it has always seemed to me. The hands are strong, to be sure, and have created great things for us all, but they are not mine. And that counts for something.
They forget that the silver on my arms comes from a beast that I vanquished. It is the mark of a great evil that I ended, and yet it persists within me. It is alien, artificial; an uneasy corollary to the superlative physical frame given to me by my father.
I would struggle to remove it now. The problem is not one of surgery, for I have no doubt my father’s chirurgeons could remake me entirely if he gave them the command. No, I will not remove the silver from my flesh because I have learned to depend on it.
The fault is with my mind. I rely on the augmentation given to me by my metal gauntlets, so much so that the flesh beneath them is now little more than a memory.
It is a crutch, this silver. A day will come when I will strip it from me, lest I lose the power to master myself forever. Already my Legion’s warriors replace their shield hands with metal in my honour, and so they too are learning to doubt the natural strength of their bodies. They must be weaned off this practice before it becomes a mania for them. Hatred of what is natural, of what is human, is the first and greatest of the corruptions.
So I record it here: when the time comes, I will strip my hands of their unnatural silver. I will instruct my Legion to recant their distrust of the flesh. I will turn them away from the gifts of the machine and bid them relearn the mysteries of flesh, bone and blood.
When my father’s Crusade is over, this shall be my sacred task. When the fighting is done, I shall cure my Legion, and myself. For if fighting is all there is, if we may never pause to reflect on what such devotion to strength is doing to us, then our compulsion will only grow.
Already I see the madness that path leads to, and so I shall excise the silver from my hands. In doing so I shall weaken myself and my sons, but nonetheless it must be done.
The hands are strong, and have created great things, but they are not mine.

EDIT: however i should also point out im not trying to portray them in a purely negative light, they have their uses aswell, just trying to answer OP.

Last edited by Lost&Damned; 11-07-12 at 01:17 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-12, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangus Bane View Post
Serious injuries with loss of blood can also be prevented with the use of bionics, though SM bodies tend to fix themselves fairly fast.
Which ironically makes bionics somewhat more vulnerable than marine flesh. A marine can clot a bleed very swiftly (depending on the depth of the cut, minutes or less) but a bionic cannot be repaired during battle. If a control wire or fluid feed is severed than the marine will have no way of fixing themselves.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-12, 02:39 AM

cragnes417's Flag is: USA

Another drawback i see in books of space marines is that its slightly harder to fight daemons with bionics.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-12, 04:31 AM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

Then again isn't there that S6 guard guy because of bionics? That'd be pretty awesome for rines...

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-12, 07:34 AM

khrone forever's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: lived on tyran, moved to occulus, then to macragge.DAMN THE TYRANIDS!!! (near derby)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangus Bane View Post
One huge advantage of Bionics is that they are more resilient than flesh.
A las pistol might burn the skin of a space marine but it will only scratch the paint off of a metal arm.

A disadvantage is an EMP, if all power sources are rendered useless, then so is the bionic.

however if the power sources are rendered useless then so is the armour, meaning they have a very hard time moving, so the bionic going isnt that much of a problem

40Kprayers and benedictions

see my guard army here

see my Empire army

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode