Women in the Imperium - Page 9 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 171 (permalink) Old 09-13-12, 12:17 AM

Nave Senrag's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
Maybe, but it never sits well with me that people of African ancestry are referred to as "Blacks".
It kinda torpedos your assertion for equality to use that term.
It might just be over here, it's accepted to use blacks over "people of African descent". I hear "African-American" occasionally, but that has extremely limited applications. And in 40K it simply can't reasonably be used to apply at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompy Bits View Post
Yup, that sounds about right. The only faction who are a bigger bunch of backstabbers than the Imperium are the Eldar (and this is debatable as the Eldar only stab OTHER factions in the back).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 171 (permalink) Old 09-13-12, 12:20 AM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

The orange sarcasm color needs to be used more often. In fact i think it needs to be a forum rule.(Like feygor after he has his artificial voice box fitted. Hold up your hand when you are being sarcastic.)

As for this argument. The fluff of the 40k universe is what it is. It is unfair, full of gender/racial/species/religious inequalities. Like it or don't. But it has(mostly )been there from the start, and if it bugs you that much, play something else. It is not meant to be a happy place. A wargame in a universe where 'there is only peace' is going to be a little slow.
I reiterate my main point. If you don't like the background to the point where you need to have large amounts of it changed to suit your requirements, play something else.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #83 of 171 (permalink) Old 09-13-12, 12:21 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
Nope, all the black guys are dead. Whenever a mortar was incpming, they would shout "Get Down!!!" and then the black guys would start dancing, and eventually made themselves extinct over 40,000 years of war.
You simply MUST tell your most recent VC winner that, I'm sure he'll get quite a LOL.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaantitus View Post
The fluff of the 40k universe is what it is. It is unfair, full of gender/racial/species/religious inequalities.
No where in the rules does it say what race people are. There are numerous examples in BL fiction of people of other racial ancestries.

Most of us choose to depict our soldiers as Caucasians but there is no reason for them not to be anything else.

My Space Marines are Australian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave Senrag View Post
it's accepted to use blacks over "people of African descent".
Accepted by whom? Not by me it isn't

Last edited by Magpie_Oz; 09-13-12 at 02:25 AM.

post #84 of 171 (permalink) Old 09-13-12, 12:43 AM

Tempessst's Flag is: USA

Oh god, funny but terrible

11th Legion in Homebrew, let me know what you think
Tau - 2500 Points
post #85 of 171 (permalink) Old 09-13-12, 02:03 AM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
You simply MUST tell your most recent VC winner that, I'm sure he'll get quite a LOL.............

No where in the rules does it say what race people are. There are numerous examples in BL fiction of people of other racial ancestries.
maybe not by color, but certainly by genetics. Mutation, deformity, abhumans etc. Race is not necessarily color.(I am not trying to pick a fight or say 40k is racist when applied to 20th century earth.)

Edit.
Maybe I am with the op but not you magpie.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #86 of 171 (permalink) Old 09-13-12, 02:21 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaantitus View Post
maybe not by color, but certainly by genetics. Mutation, deformity, abhumans etc. Race is not necessarily color.(I am not trying to pick a fight or say 40k is racist when applied to 20th century earth.)

Edit.
Maybe I am with the op but not you magpie.
Depends on how you classify "race". In that regard the 21st century is the only datum to go by isn't it?

But really the whole race thing is just a side issue. The point at issue is whether GW need to rewrite the background for the Space Marines to prove they aren't misogynist bigots.

Numerous reasons not to do this have been presented and the only thing in support of it has been the old nugget of "if you don't agree with me you're obviously too stupid".

Last edited by Magpie_Oz; 09-13-12 at 02:24 AM.
post #87 of 171 (permalink) Old 09-13-12, 05:19 AM

cheeto's Flag is: USA

Is this a sign of the times or what? Political correctness entering the 40k universe, the place I go to escape reality (which is funny because I live in Hawaii and love my reality... anyway...).

I would think that the reasons space marines are men is pretty straight forward. I am a US Marine, and women sometimes make an issue of becoming Marine Corps front line combatants. They want equality, and they want to be held to a lower standard because they can't compete as a whole against the men. Are there exceptions? Probably... but nothing worth the bother.

That all said, if they were going to make any changes they should reveal that Lorgar was a woman.
post #88 of 171 (permalink) Old 09-13-12, 08:09 AM

Kale Hellas's Flag is: Australia

I have an idea, we'll write a story, Good old angry marines versus the order of the sacred feminist, eventually you'll realise what you do in any argument about 40k do whatever the hell you want, just ask your opponent,so the fluff says no female space marines, ciaphas cain novel, inquisitor Amberley Vail (<-Female) saves peoples ass's ten times over in power armour, coincidently novel also includes sisters of battle saving peoples ass's, another leading character colonel regina kasteen her bolt pistol might as well be a bmg so what women aren't space marines do you see guys complaining when they can't represent themselves in a sisters of battle army,

1- its a game
2- women are badass when they appear in fluff
3- choose slaaneshi if you really want marines chances are they got high and woke up as a chick (these things happen)
4- if you can't see my point in all of this maybe your just angry at men and not gw.

that is all

post #89 of 171 (permalink) Old 09-13-12, 09:17 AM

Shattertheirsky's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrialSagan View Post
Nothing is preventing someone from retconning the plot so that Lorgar, Magnus, Roboute Gulliman and Rogel Dorn were women.
Everything is preventing it. The community would be up in arms if suddenly it was written BTW three Primarchs are actually women and the books you spent 10 quid on to read about their exploits are actually nothing but bull of the highest order. You might as well say the Emperor has 17 heads and can breath fire, the Horus Heresy never happened, instead it was the Perturabo Heresy, and all that happened was the Iron warriors build a giant floating cow-shaped-spaceship, then crashed it into Terra after a drunken night out, Kharn the Betrayer lives in a monastery as a Space Catholic with Angron as chief monk, and finally Force Commander Boreal speaks like a normal person and doesn't say Spess....

It
Aint
Gonna
Happen!

post #90 of 171 (permalink) Old 09-13-12, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale Hellas View Post
I have an idea, we'll write a story, Good old angry marines versus the order of the sacred feminist, eventually you'll realise what you do in any argument about 40k do whatever the hell you want, just ask your opponent,so the fluff says no female space marines, ciaphas cain novel, inquisitor Amberley Vail (<-Female) saves peoples ass's ten times over in power armour, coincidently novel also includes sisters of battle saving peoples ass's, another leading character colonel regina kasteen her bolt pistol might as well be a bmg so what women aren't space marines do you see guys complaining when they can't represent themselves in a sisters of battle army,

1- its a game
2- women are badass when they appear in fluff
3- choose slaaneshi if you really want marines chances are they got high and woke up as a chick (these things happen)
4- if you can't see my point in all of this maybe your just angry at men and not gw.

that is all
Last time I checked Vail nearly got her ass handed to her by the nids. Cain and jurgen saved her.

And the SoB in that novel got owned in every imaginable way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode