Question About Librarians - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-12, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

SoL Berzerker's Flag is: USA

Default Question About Librarians

I am writing a short story of my own, and thought a cool character would be a Librarian with multiple personalities. I'm not talking about being bi-polar, I'm talking about having two or more separate personalities being inside the Librarians head. He is not corrupted by chaos, just has a mental disorder.

Would this scenario be at all possible with the intense scrutiny and training Librarians face?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-12, 10:08 PM

Generally, such an unstable guy should probably never have been made an Astartes, much less a Librarian. The Librarians that look into the recruits' minds for psychic potential would probably have notice the presence of other personalities, or at the very least the turbulence in his brain.

It might work if he developed these personalities during his time as a Librarian, maybe through some trauma, decades of dwelling on the powers of the warp, etc. You'll probably have to do a lot of research into how and when "other personalities" develop (especially since there is a lot of debate in the medical community as to the validity of dissociative identity disorder and its effects), and to accommodate those to the situation of the Librarian.

Still, though, I imagine his battle-brothers proooobably wouldn't exactly be comfortable with him around if they found out.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-12, 10:08 PM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

Very Unlikely

There not really any evidence that marines can suffer from any psychopathological conditions at all, mainly due to their rigorous training and metal conditioning. Librarians need to undertake even more training than standard battle brothers

It would be possible for him to have an internal monologue though, I'm thinking like Isador on DoW 1, he was vocally loyal throughout but always hints at doubt and betrayal and jealousy throughout

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-12, 10:10 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

It's an interesting idea but I don't think it would work. Anyone showing any sign of mental instability is *already* suspected of being chaos tainted as it is. Any psycher who starts showing signs of severe mental instability would be shot in the back of the head, marine or no.

Remember that A) Mental disorders are an established side-effect of chaos corruption, and B) the Empire is not exactly enlightened. Over the centuries treatment and diagnosis of legitimate mental disorders has likely atrophied to the point that all mental disorders are blamed on chaos taint and the 'treatment' is always the same.

Even if they could tell the difference between warp-spawned madness and just regular crazy, someone wielding the powers of the warp to the degree that a librarian does would not be *trusted* with that kind of mental defect. Even if he's not tainted, he's still fucking nuts and a batshit insane man is not someone you want to leave alone with godlike power. Especially because it takes every ounce of will for a human psycher *not* to succumb to the warp when he uses his powers.

So yeah, assuming his disorder wasn't detected and he wasn't therefore rejected from training as a marine and then as a librarian, the minute he started showing signs of it he would, at best, be taken away and locked up in the chapter's stronghold, or at worst his instability will have caused him to become possessed or some other warp peril. Somewhere in between is getting shot in the head by a senior librarian or force commander.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Last edited by Galahad; 08-21-12 at 10:14 PM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-12, 10:15 PM
Digg40k's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yeh for the above reasons I sincerely doubt somebody with multiple personalities would make it through the recruitment process.

However, someone with the latent flaw of multiple personality disorder becoming an Astartes Librarian and succumbing to it whilst trying to cover it up as they slowly descend into madness and internal conflict might be a better storyline anyway! ;)
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-12, 10:24 PM

Tensiu's Flag is: Poland

Space Marine's mind must be extremely resilient and sane, otherwise it would be dangerous to give him superhuman power. Even if both minds of that supposed psyker would be aware of each other and perfectly loyal, it would still be dangerous. Imagine him "swapping" personalities in the middle of the battle, when the "awakened" one knows not the situation. Also, imperial psykers must be ever vigilant, as even single moment of distraction may end in tragedy. The moment of "swapping" could be good for Warp spawns to attack his mind, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digg40k View Post
Yeh for the above reasons I sincerely doubt somebody with multiple personalities would make it through the recruitment process.

However, someone with the latent flaw of multiple personality disorder becoming an Astartes Librarian and succumbing to it whilst trying to cover it up as they slowly descend into madness and internal conflict might be a better storyline anyway! ;)
The ever vigilant and suspicious Astartes, mostly the Librarians and Chaplains, would probably discover the truth very fast. After all, Librarians are always watched over for signs of corruption, and waking one day and not knowing anyone and anything around would be impossible to hide. Besides, alternative personalities would awake in superhuman body capable of doing miracles at whim, yet without knowledge of long and extremaly rigorous training undergone by "original" Librarian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkaellon View Post
Boobs, That is all.
Victories - 0
Draws - 0
Failures - 4

Last edited by Tensiu; 08-21-12 at 10:29 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-12, 10:32 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Nah you guys need to read Nocturne. D'kir is a positive fruit loop with all the stuff and "other presences" going on in his head.

I go so far as to say that any Libby's head is a quite a crowded place at times.

The mark of a successful Librarian is how well he is able to control that which goes on in his head.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-12, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
Nah you guys need to read Nocturne. D'kir is a positive fruit loop with all the stuff and "other presences" going on in his head.

I go so far as to say that any Libby's head is a quite a crowded place at times.

The mark of a successful Librarian is how well he is able to control that which goes on in his head.
Okay, but aren't these just two different things? Voices in the head and different personalities. Hearing voices, even actually having a neighbour next to your right hemisphere is, I believe, different than actually being two completely separated, different humans in one body.

Quote:
Boobs, That is all.
Victories - 0
Draws - 0
Failures - 4

Last edited by Tensiu; 08-21-12 at 11:20 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-12, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

SoL Berzerker's Flag is: USA

Wow, this got a lot of fast responses, thanks guys.

I guess I'll have to find some other way to set my Libby apart. Perhaps giving him a daemonic sword that can speak to him? Crowe uses a daemonic sword correct?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-12, 11:28 PM

Crowe? The Grey Knight Crowe? Well, only the very, very, very best humans may become Grey Knights. All of them, from their Master to the lowest, youngest Marine, they are all immune to the lures of the Warp. Crowe is one of the very purest of them all, tho the blade he is carrying is also of immense power.
You might give your Librarian such blade, but it should be difficult for him to defend himself from it's machinations and influence. Also, I think it should use every moment of distraction to interfere and harm him or interrupt him. That might be interesting, but the Inquisition would want to take that blade away and purge your chapter's Marines memories. That's what they do in the newest codex...

Quote:
Boobs, That is all.
Victories - 0
Draws - 0
Failures - 4

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode