The Psyker and the Null - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-12, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Default The Psyker and the Null

Only a small handful of humans are born who are Psychic Nulls. According to multiple parts of the canon, a Null is an organism with absolutely no signature in the Warp (ie they have no soul).

A well known example of a Null would be Gunner Ferik Jurgen, the smelly personal aide to the renowned Ciaphas Cain. Now, psykers abhorred Jurgen as he had no soul. His presence caused them physical discomfort, distrust, physical contact caused pain, etc. Now, the content I've read about Nulls says that their presence can be dangerous to high level psykers, like eldar, and may even be lethal. I have heard that like Psykers, there are separate levels of Nulls, but considering they are entirely displaced from the Warp instead of having increasing levels of connection to it, this could just be speculation or fancy...

Which brings me to my query:
The Tau are an entire race of Nulls. Millions upon millions of soulless beings with absolutely no presence in the Warp. But the Tau have no resistance to psychic powers during gameplay, nor do they affect Psykers in any way. With the advent of 6th edition and the allies rules, the Tau and Eldar are battle brothers. In theory a unit of Fire Warriors could be led by a Farseer, and for gameplay purposes this is a killer combo, but doesn't strike me as quite following the fluff. Wouldn't the Tau's proximity to the Farseer disrupt his abilities, or even have the potential to cause him harm?

What do you guys think?
O'Ba'cho

"The one constant in the universe is change, the wise adapt.
Believe in our destiny."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-12, 05:04 AM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue'vesa'O Ba'cho View Post
The Tau are an entire race of Nulls. Millions upon millions of soulless beings with absolutely no presence in the Warp. But the Tau have no resistance to psychic powers during gameplay, nor do they affect Psykers in any way. With the advent of 6th edition and the allies rules, the Tau and Eldar are battle brothers. In theory a unit of Fire Warriors could be led by a Farseer, and for gameplay purposes this is a killer combo, but doesn't strike me as quite following the fluff. Wouldn't the Tau's proximity to the Farseer disrupt his abilities, or even have the potential to cause him harm?

What do you guys think?
O'Ba'cho
No their proximity wouldn't affect anything because they're not Nulls.

They have virtually no presence in the Warp- hence why there are no Tau psykers- but that's not the same as absolutely no presence.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-12, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

So the Tau aren't entirely soulless, just barely register.
Well... that pretty much solves it, thank you.
That makes the Tau/Eldar teamup much more feasible, thanks for the clarification Spikey.

What I figure then is that the Eldar have noticed this in the Tau, and realizing they are almost immune to the effects of chaos, have offered themselves as guides or mentors to the young race as a ploy to gain a useful ally against the dark gods?

This would make a lot of sense with the Eldar slowly dying out and the Tau, while living the shortest of lives (about 40 years) as compared to their ancient allies, achieving so much in the short time they have: When the crap hits the fan and the universe is on the brink the Eldar will need some sort of muscle that Slaanesh can't mind-rape into madness or be turned into puss oozing children of Nurgle before they can be used as pawns in the elder race's epic chess game against chaos.

Believe in our destiny."

Last edited by Gue'vesa'O Ba'cho; 08-19-12 at 05:45 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-12, 06:42 AM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
What I figure then is that the Eldar have noticed this in the Tau, and realizing they are almost immune to the effects of chaos, have offered themselves as guides or mentors to the young race as a ploy to gain a useful ally against the dark gods?
The connection between the Craftworld Eldar and the Tau Empire, if any, has been drawn from two sources. First is a quote from Eldrad Ulthran:
Quote:
I have followed the myriad potential futures of the Tau with great interest. Though barely even striplings compared to us, I feel a strange protectiveness towards them. In time I believe they will exceed even our greatest feats and master the darkness within their souls.
And the second is the implications in Xenology which suggest the Eldar may have had a hand in the development of the Ethereal Caste.

But just to clarify; the Tau are not immune to Chaos, and I would struggle to find how they could become a useful ally for the Eldar against the insidious nature of Chaos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-12, 07:19 AM
Feed

There is a great deal of difference between not having a warp presence and being a null.

The topic is touched on only briefly between the Eisenhorn and Ravenor novels, but a null is essentially an anti psyker rather than literally soulless.

Whereas a psyker channels warp energy due to the structure of their brain forming a bridge between warp and reality, a blank or a null negates warp energy due to their brain structure having the exact opposite effect.

A blank is not actually soulless, their souls enter the warp upon death like any other. When they're alive however, their physiological properties just make it seem that way.

As CotE said, the Tau are neither of these. Their low warp presence may make them resistant to Chaos, but it does not make them completely immune and it does not grant them anti psyker abilities.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-12, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
But just to clarify; the Tau are not immune to Chaos, and I would struggle to find how they could become a useful ally for the Eldar against the insidious nature of Chaos.
I'll give you that the Tau are not "Chaos-Proof," but they do have some advantages over other races when it comes to dealing with the beasts in the void:
1) Their limited warp signature means that the Dark Gods pay little attention to them.
2) Given the Ethereal's control over the other castes, and looking at Tau culture as a whole (where your rank and place in society are more important than you as an individual), they benefit from a lack of the more base emotions and impulses that fuel so many of the actions of other races. Compare them to the human race, where avarice, lust, or envy can make any man an easy target for the machinations of the Chaos Gods. The Tau choose the good of their race over personal gain time and time again, making it far harder for them to be corrupted than the humans.
Why do you see so many human worshippers of Chaos? Because Man is weak.
I'm not saying the Tau can't experience these emotions, or possibly be drawn into Chaos' clutches, just look at O'Shovah. Without the presence of an Ethereal, who can say what has happened to the commander, save that he has forsaken the greater good for his own gain?

----------------------------------------------------------------

The Dark Gods are manifestations of the emotions of beings in the material universe (and each shows opposing aspects that aren't all bad), so the Tau's faint signature still would empower the gods even if it were to a shallow extent, correct?

The bravery, stoicism, honor and courage of the Fire Caste would lean them towards feeding Khorne, obviously, but Tau cultural values on a larger scale include hope for their future, constant learning, mercy after victory, trust in the Ethereals, and embracing change. This would lend them to feeding some other gods as well. So all in all, the Tau mostly give off emotions that would fuel Khorne, Nurgle, and Tzeentch. Who is absent from this list?

With the reading I've been doing, it would seem that the one god that the Tau have but a tenuous connection to is Slaanesh. Which, in the Eldar's desperate war against their orgy spawned starchild (along with the quote from Eldrad you presented above), may point to the Tau as some sort of Eldar experiment to use against Shim...
With their breeding programs and caste system, lust doesn't really come into play. Mating is to further the Empire's cause, and it is controlled. "Love" in Tau society seems more like utter respect and trust in your comrades, and the dedication of a group of lives to a united purpose (the Ta'lissera). How can Slaanesh corrupt something without the base animal desires man so readily displays?

If there is any more information about the relationship between the Eldar and Tau, I would be very interested. Probably should start a new thread though, as this has veered a bit from the original topic...

Believe in our destiny."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-12, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I'll give you that the Tau are not "Chaos-Proof," but they do have some advantages over other races when it comes to dealing with the beasts in the void:
They do have some advantages to be sure but they also suffer from the biggest weakness. Ignorance. The Tau do not understand the threat that Chaos poses. They do not recognize its insidious, personal nature; it's corrupting influence or its malign intelligence. They think the daemons they encounter are xenos beasts and that corrupted humans are simply ignorant heathens. Where have we seen that attitude before? During the Great Crusade, and look how humanity suffered for those mistakes.

Quote:
1) Their limited warp signature means that the Dark Gods pay little attention to them.
I'd put the lack of attention from the Gods down to the insignificance of the Tau Empire on a galactic scale, at least as much as the limited warp signature. Looking at humanity, things seem to have gone relatively light on the Chaos until around the Age of Strife and the Great Crusade. Notably the points where humanity became one of (and then the) dominant power in the galaxy. After all, the Gods feed on all emotion they don't actually need worshipers to feed, just to fight off those who try to otherwise kill them (namely the Emperor).

Quote:
The Dark Gods are manifestations of the emotions of beings in the material universe (and each shows opposing aspects that aren't all bad), so the Tau's faint signature still would empower the gods even if it were to a shallow extent, correct?
Correct. As long as you feel, they feed.

Quote:
With their breeding programs and caste system, lust doesn't really come into play. Mating is to further the Empire's cause, and it is controlled. "Love" in Tau society seems more like utter respect and trust in your comrades, and the dedication of a group of lives to a united purpose (the Ta'lissera). How can Slaanesh corrupt something without the base animal desires man so readily displays?
Slaanesh is not 'lust' or 'love' Slaanesh is Excess. And you have already shown where the opening is for excess in Tau psychology. The Tau obey, and take that obedience to the extremes. Extreme unflinching obedience is no different to Slaanesh than extreme unapologetic selfishness, both are emotions in excess. And then there is the power enjoyed by the Etherals, beings whose superiority goes unquestioned by an entire race. What is that likely to do to their minds, even subconsciously?

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-12, 10:45 AM

I think in 'Atlas Infernal' Czevak uses a very powerful null being/remnant to horribly kill psychically attuned marines/eldar?
This means that whilst it hasn't really been touched upon that it is suggested there is a heirarchy so to speak.

Hopefully we will find out more in Pariah
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-12, 11:19 AM

stalarious's Flag is: Germany

@Ba'cho See part off your reasoning seems...I dont wanna say flawed but colored Tau as a xenos race you cant assume that because they dont have "human" emotional responses makes them any less emotional then humans themselves.

Take Eldar for example they are stated as being very emotional however dont really outwardly express this. They have a cast system as well when it comes to there people.

The way I see the Tau and the warp is thinking about it as a each race has a tube that the flow of the warp is regulated by the races pyschic potential the more potential the more warp the race pulls down the tube. So the Tau having next to nothing have almost nothing coming down the tube. It doesnt effect there race as a whole like others cause the chaos gods dont even know they exist or dont care that they exist.

So I am growing my enemy.....so what I gotta kill something.

CENTER][/CENTER]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode