Do the Thousand Sons even know? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-12, 01:27 PM

Ahriman poured everything into the Rune Priest: the corruption
of Horus and the betrayal of everything the Emperor had
sought to create, the monstrous scale of the imminent war and
the horror that lay at the end of it. Win or lose, a time of ultimate
darkness was coming, and as Ahriman opened Wyrdmake to all
that he had seen, he too learned all that had driven the Space
Wolves and the Custodes to make such furious war upon the
Thousand Sons.
He saw the honeyed words of Horus and the sinister urgings of
Constantin Valdor, each spoken with very different purposes,
but designed to sway Leman Russ towards a destination of total
destruction.

quote in the novel thousand sons, regarding what role Valdor played
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-12, 02:27 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongfangFenrika93 View Post
I can't figure out why the Thousand Sons fought under Horus after the Fall of Prospero, and then continued to fight, on occasion, for Abaddon in the millennia after.
He's embittered by the Wolves, even if he was originally loyal: the Emperor sent the Wolves against him, (apparently) knowing full well what they would do. The Emperor betrayed Magnus for 'trying to help'. Even the opening monologue in A Thousand Sons comments on Magnus' state: "power such as this once given cannot be returned" or words to that effect.

As AD-B said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD-B
The problem with stuff like this is that it isn't just black and white. It's not Good and Evil, Pure or Fallen. Thematically, it's the War in Heaven, but it's not the same beyond the theme. The details are wildly different.

Chaos isn't just... Pure Evil. It's not "Magnus was suddenly a bad guy". Like many "villains", he's a guy in a bad place because of bad decisions he - and others- made.

Ultimately, Chaos isn't given enough credit for its subtlety. It offers you a little more, each time, keeping your ultimate goal just out of reach. You get addicted, and think that - for you - it's different. You can master it, because, hey! you seem to be doing okay so far, right? You won't go as far as the other guys. You don't want what they wanted. You only want a little more, just enough to get by. Maybe you'll give it up completely after that. Maybe you don't have anything to do with it at all, right?

You may never even know you're being manipulated. Magnus didn't. You can obviously think you'd be totally aware, but there've been plenty of times in your life you've not been aware you were being manipulated, and it's far, far, far from as simple as "I'd refuse Chaos, because I don't want tentacles, and I'd be aware of it trying to get me."

Well. No, you wouldn't. That's often the point. It's not all about living in the Eye of Terror and hanging out with mutants while screaming dark prayers of dark darkness. Chaos isn't always that blatant or obscene.

Magnus was arrogant and well-intentioned in equal measure. That arrogance and his own good intentions put him in a compromising position. Several compromising positions, in fact. It's not an insult to his character to point out that he was arrogant and thought he understood more than he did. It doesn't make us, as readers, like him any less. All characters have flaws.

Look at Konrad Curze. He's not on Horus's side because he flicks a metal sign and says "Chaos is super awesome." It's the same thing with Magnus. It's a bit more subtle than him just wanting to tear down the Imperium in a sudden "fall" like that trite bullshit we were forced to put up with from Anakin Skywalker, which was executed - at best - suddenly and poorly.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. You still end up in Hell, no matter why you started walking.
Quote:
My point is, how the hell did they not know that Horus had tricked Russ into wiping them out, rather than bringing them peacefully back to Terra.
Well we don't know that for ourselves. Prospero Burns certainly doesn't portray a Russ under the impression that he was ordered to bring Magnus peacefully back to Terra. The Emperor's warning at Nikaea in A Thousand Sons also doesn't portray him as unwilling to visit destruction upon those who betray him. The Collected Visions also states that the Emperor wished nothing less than destruction for Prospero and the 'Sons.

Horus did contact Russ, we know that much from False Gods(?) and A Thousand Sons. But did he change the course that Russ had already embarked upon?

What I think we should instead concentrate on is the revelations of Prospero Burns: that Chaos went to great extents to influence both the VI and XV Legions, and was involved in the events that led up to the fall of Prospero.

Quote:
I just find it hard to believe, that the Thousand Sons (and Magnus if he gives a shit) didn't ultimately find out that the nature of their fall and casting as traitors was due to Horus' manipulations.
Was their fall due to Horus' manipulations though? Valdor certainly seems to have had a strong influence on proceedings as Chompy said. But again, it comes down to Chaos' influence and manipulations rather than Horus'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompy Bits View Post
Currently, as the fluff stands from The Outcast Dead, Horus was already known as a traitor before Magnus sent his message. Which makes him actually being involved extremely unlikely. The likeliest candidate now to have had any influence on Russ' actions is Valdor.
I would love to hear from Graham Mcneill regarding that aspect of The Outcast Dead, I have emailed him myself concerning it but have received no reply - when usually he is actually quite good at replying to fan queries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompy Bits View Post
Also, I think a possible reason for Magnus' turn was survival. His legion is damned in the eyes of the loyalists and they've been decimated by the Wolves (who still have warriors pursuing them). Maybe becoming allies with Horus was his best shot at making it through the Heresy.
I havn't got a copy of the Collected Visions to hand, but I know it covers Magnus' joining of the Heresy. If anyone can look it up and post the relevant quote it would be appriciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 08-06-12 at 03:32 PM.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-12, 07:13 PM

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

A constant thread with the TS is, no matter their incidential intentions, they were in league with Tzeench from virtually their conception... literally if the Big E's pact with Chaos was actual. Magnus, then Ahriman, could only turn to Chaos to stop the dramatic explosion of Chaos within their flesh due to their inherint powers.

In A Thousand Sons
From my standpoint, Magnus found himself at the end of a very long and well-established Faustian bargain, not at the start of one. The Emperor knew this as well, and also knew Magnus was utterly compromised to Chaos at this point. The surprise would have been if Russ was sent to Prospero to do less than execute the judgement of Nikea on Magnus.

While most of the information may have come to Ahriman on the cusp of Prospero being destroyed, he also recognized the bargain for what it was and had to go with it. After Ahriman cast the Rubric, the TS don't even have their bodies owed to the Emperor anymore. The Big E, their progenitor/creator, built them with an open invitation to Chaos and their own Father Magnus co-signed the deal. At this point, I can't think of a single reason the TS would isolate themselves from the HH.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-12, 07:28 PM

Apostle's Flag is: Ireland

'Russ was convinced by Horus' silver tongue to launch an all-out planetary assault on the seditious Thousand Sons rather than attempt to negotiate with them or bring their Primarch Magnus the Red back to Terra peacefully. Horus claimed that the Emperor wanted to punish Magnus'

from the wiki. They should change that if some of the above statements are correct. I mean that basically is saying that the Emperor wished for him to be tried for his crimes on Terra, but Horus convinced him the Emperor wanted him killed instead.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-12, 10:22 PM

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle View Post
'Russ was convinced by Horus' silver tongue to launch an all-out planetary assault on the seditious Thousand Sons rather than attempt to negotiate with them or bring their Primarch Magnus the Red back to Terra peacefully. Horus claimed that the Emperor wanted to punish Magnus'

from the wiki. They should change that if some of the above statements are correct. I mean that basically is saying that the Emperor wished for him to be tried for his crimes on Terra, but Horus convinced him the Emperor wanted him killed instead.
I've read a lot of TS fluff, though never had the Codicies, but have still never seen a direct quotation on the Emperor only wanting a trial for Magnus. Magnus's ultimate purpose was to power the Astronimican, as identified by Magnus himself in The Thousand Sons, and he was completely damaged goods for that purpose once the Emp found out he had sold out to Tzeench.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-12, 12:15 PM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

Well I've re-read Fulgrim once time recently and on page 320, there is a envoy sent to Fulgrim, notifying that shortly after the events of False Gods (when Magnus broke the edict) and shortly before Isstvan III, Galaxy in flames, Russ were sent to bring Magnus back to Terra. It was on Macladores orders btw.

As I understand it, it was Horus who told the Emperor/Malcadore "Hey Magnus broke the rules, punish him!" But then we have The Outcast Dead, who according to the book takes place during the end and after Fulgrim, its then Magnus broke through the Emperor's defenses.

According to Swallow, the time-difference is because the Emepror fought back to stop Magnus and then we have a time dialation-difference. So Magnus realises once he reaches the Emperor its already too late, Horus is a traitor and the Wolves are coming for him.

McNeill has said this will be explained in a later novel, kinda like The Outcast Dead explained why Curze were at Isstvan V despite The Dark King, and The Lion explained the ending of Fallen Angels.

Also from my understanding, Magnus realized he had done Tzeentchs bidding all this time and just went for it, he had lost everything and this was his only chance of survival. And I think Tzeentch then said "Go with Horus!"

Edit: Also on page 506 of Fulgrim it says "Following the Warmasters misdirection of Leman Russ, the Space Wolves were known to be operating in the region of Prospero...."

Last edited by forkmaster; 08-07-12 at 12:38 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode