The Defenses of Terra - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-12, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

SoL Berzerker's Flag is: USA

Default The Defenses of Terra

Is much known about what is defending Terra? I know the Imperial palace has the Adeptus Custodes, but what about the rest of the planet? Is it just legions of Imperial Guard, or is there another Space Marine chapter devoted purely to the defense of Terra?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-12, 02:20 AM

iirc there are a couple of titan legions garrisoned on terra along with its own PDF and the whole Imperium ; )
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-12, 02:21 AM

Arlex's Flag is: Canada

Imperial Fists, I believe, still dedicate a lot of resources to Terra. And that "just" Imperial Guard garrison is likely as large as the forces of the Sabbat World's Crusades so...

My Armies-
Orks- 3000 pts
Bretonnia- 2500
Raven Guard- 500ish
Skaven- 500ish
Dwarves- 500ish
High Elves- 500ish
Imperial Guard- Starting

Been playing 40k since I was 9, still so much to learn.

Lists-
Raven Guard 3rd Company- 0-0-0
Catachan II- Airbourne- 1-0-0
Muster of Castle Vez- 0-0-0

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-12, 10:56 AM

I believe that the Imperial fists and a very small detatchment of space wolves are the only space marine forces allowed on terra.

As for the PDF id imagine that it is larger than any other pdf in the imperium and as stated above is more than likley larger than many crusading imperial armies. So thereforce probobly 1 billion plus actual soldier and then the quite real possibility of everyone on the planet being conscripted in times of need.

Then Battlefleet Solar is descibed as the mightiest battlefleet available to imerial forces so would probobly number into the thousands if not tens of thousands of ships of all sizes. And then all the defense instillations in space, on luna and then on terra itself.

Then theres the mechanicus of mars so there will be a number of titan legions along with all the tags alongs that come with them (skitarii and techpriests etc) numbering into the millions.

Theres also the inquisition and their available forces. I suppose you could include grey knights that would be available to defend terra.

Im sure theyll be some sisters of battle around on terra not too sure how many though.

Each navigator house has a small private army so they would probobly be used to defend terra.

Not forgeting the custodes but they only guard the palace so yeah... probobly numbering a couple of thousand.

So in conclusion theres a hell of a lot lol!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-12, 11:41 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

i imagine the entire solar system is devoted to the defence of Terra too and likely other near by systems will be on constant alert to come to the aid of terra if it was needed, but the chances of any full scale assault making it anywhere near the system is highly unlikely, just a build up of an army large enough to penetrate that deeply into imperial space would be noticed before it had chance to make the journey.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-12, 11:57 AM
Rattlehead

Bits is right, the only people ever to get near Terra are the Necrons, which was a stealth insertion anyhow. Even then, they had just one ship out of five land on Mars for maybe a minute or two before it was destroyed.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-12, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

SoL Berzerker's Flag is: USA

Okay, so with all of that in place, how likely would it be for Terra to fall to the super Tyranid fleet or super Ork fleet that these forums have been flooded with recently? Seems to me that anything short of another heresy would fall short by a lot in an attempt at invading Terra.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-12, 03:12 PM

Apostle's Flag is: Ireland

IMO super Ork Fleet would take too long, and by the time Terra was 'falling' so many space marine chapters and guard regiments would have been called back to the fray it would no longer matter. Ork's are not particularly known for their tact and speed. They will just want to kill everything they see. You put a couple Hive Fleets together...I can see death coming to Mars and Terra yes.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-12, 05:07 PM
Doomed One

SonofMalice's Flag is: USA

As far as I can tell the only way to truly capture terra is attrition pure and simple. Horus was winning that battle due to isolating potential reinforcements until he decided he wanted a mono a mono duel with big E. I really only see Nids having the capacity for the scale of assault necessary to grind down the defenders. Chaos MIGHT have a similar chance but as mentioned the many regiments and chapters around the Imperium would be recalled. The Nid warp shadow right on top of the astronomican would make getting reinforcements very hard. Maybe chaos could stir up a storm or something but other than that I can't see another power really managing it. Or the Necrons could just make the sun explode, problem solved.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-12, 06:19 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Re-reading the Word Bearers omnibus recently they thought that if they could take and hold the system in the book (completely forget its name) that Chaos would be able to put enough of an Armada together to reach and destroy Terra before sufficient fleets could be mustered to stop them... I think there is a huge difference between taking and destroying Terra: can't say I've read much on it but the various Exterminatus don't seem that easy to stop unless you have fleet superiority. Can ground defences stop virus bombs/cyclonic torpedoes (or others)...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode