Abaddon vs ? - Page 10 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-03-12, 09:23 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Reaper View Post
No it dosent put things in perspective, not to me at least. You can view Horus's feats in many ways just like Abaddon's.
Do explain.

Horus had everything. In spades. Yet Horus failed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-03-12, 10:56 AM

Lord Commander Solus's Flag is: Great Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
Do explain.

Horus had everything. In spades. Yet Horus failed.
I suppose Horus did fight to get those things in the first place. It's not like it was just given to him and he still failed; it was quite an achievement that he managed to rend the Imperium in two, turn the Legions upon each other, turn his brothers against their father, and, as you said, get to Terra and hold the galaxy by the throat. He only fell short then because he needed to defeat the Emperor to truly become the Chaos Emperor of the Imperium, and he personally wasn't strong enough.

That's hardly a failure; the Emperor, I think we can all agree, is a damn hard nut to crack. He only got put on the Golden Throne because of his mercy; once he saw Horus was beyond saving he turned on slap-mode and erased Horus from existence. His soul didn't even get returned to the Warp!

So yes, Horus fell at the final hurdle. But that final hurdle was the greatest psyker in existence.
post #93 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-03-12, 11:42 AM
HOGGLORD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: That place, you know. That place you went to that one time, surely you remember?

I'm surprised no one has said this,

Mkoll of the Gaunt's Ghosts series
He would win because he simply cannot die. Abaddon would just fail to harm him and eventually a bunch of lasgun bolts or a demo charge to the balls would put him down...

post #94 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-03-12, 12:37 PM

Apostle's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Commander Solus View Post
I suppose Horus did fight to get those things in the first place. It's not like it was just given to him and he still failed; it was quite an achievement that he managed to rend the Imperium in two, turn the Legions upon each other, turn his brothers against their father, and, as you said, get to Terra and hold the galaxy by the throat. He only fell short then because he needed to defeat the Emperor to truly become the Chaos Emperor of the Imperium, and he personally wasn't strong enough.

That's hardly a failure; the Emperor, I think we can all agree, is a damn hard nut to crack. He only got put on the Golden Throne because of his mercy; once he saw Horus was beyond saving he turned on slap-mode and erased Horus from existence. His soul didn't even get returned to the Warp!

So yes, Horus fell at the final hurdle. But that final hurdle was the greatest psyker in existence.
Agreed and he did pull a full moron move by lowering his flagships void shields and inviting the most poweful Psyker, Dorn and Sanguinous to just head over there for a brawl. He was a genius tactician, yet in the end his obsession with showing his superiority and the need to challenge his father like that...kinda threw his chances out the window.
post #95 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-03-12, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle View Post
Agreed and he did pull a full moron move by lowering his flagships void shields and inviting the most poweful Psyker, Dorn and Sanguinous to just head over there for a brawl. He was a genius tactician, yet in the end his obsession with showing his superiority and the need to challenge his father like that...kinda threw his chances out the window.
When you think about it, that was likely the most sound move he coukd have made. Remember that loyalist reinforcments were but days away, those were fresh troops that the traitor fleet (with the vast majority of its strength on Terra) would have had to contend with in addition to those loyalists already on Terra.

Had Horus kept his troops on the ground and used the fleet, both elements would have been robbed of strength with no gaurantee of success. By making an opening, Horus forced the Emperor to fight Horus on Horus terms, on a battlefield of the warmasters choosing, and only when Horus was ready for the confrontation. That the Emperor still won simply goes to show that Horus's gambit was simply not enough.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #96 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-03-12, 01:38 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Commander Solus View Post
I suppose Horus did fight to get those things in the first place.
Did he?

Horus was Warmaster, commander-in-chief of the Imperium's military. He had the initiative, the element of surprise and the time to initiate his plans. He had gathered support to the extent that a full-third of the Imperium's armies declared for him. He had as good as destroyed three Legions on the sands of Isstvan V and scattered several others to the wind. He was as good as given the advantages he possessed.

In The Crimson Fist, Dorn and Sigismund discuss the probability of the war reaching Terra:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crimson Fist
Sigismund echoed Dorn's frown. 'Horus has the initiative, we are the ones mired in confusion. He could cut us apart piece by piece, wait until we are so weak that there is no resistance left.'
Dorn looked sharply at Sigismund, but he could tell that his father had considered the same possibility.
'If it was Curze or Alpharius then perhaps, but they are not at the heart of this.'
'He will come here,' said Dorn softly. 'He will not stay out amongst the stars and bleed us to nothing. No, he is still Horus. The single spear thrust to the throat, the final killing blow. He will come here to finish this. One night we shall look up and see the heavens burning.'
Perhaps if he remained out amongst the stars he could have, as Sigismund suggested, triumphed by bleeding the loyalists dry. But he always intended to strike at Terra and his father, I can't imagine the alternative was ever an option in his mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle View Post
We don't know the exact reason why his shields were lowered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #97 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-03-12, 01:52 PM

No, Horus has almost no chance of victory. The time he still required to break the siege, especially with the Khan's hit and run tactics behind the lines would never be afforded to him. The Space Wolves, Dark Angels, and Ultramarines were on the way to Terra. In my opinion if Horus had adopted a "sit back and let them bleed out" he would have been resigned to being just like Abbaddon. The gamble to let the Emperor challenge him was the only option beside pulling back into the eye of terror to try again and again later. Obviously that wasn't something he wanted to try so he dropped the sheilds.
post #98 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-03-12, 02:01 PM

dragonkingofthestars's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye776 View Post
No, Horus has almost no chance of victory. The time he still required to break the siege, especially with the Khan's hit and run tactics behind the lines would never be afforded to him. The Space Wolves, Dark Angels, and Ultramarines were on the way to Terra. In my opinion if Horus had adopted a "sit back and let them bleed out" he would have been resigned to being just like Abbaddon. The gamble to let the Emperor challenge him was the only option beside pulling back into the eye of terror to try again and again later. Obviously that wasn't something he wanted to try so he dropped the sheilds.
whats wrong with falling back to the eye?

He who fights and runs away, lives to crusade another day.

note: if you see me giving tactical advice: just assume i have a internet tab open to 1d4 chan and I'm summarizing off of that.

post #99 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-03-12, 02:01 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye776 View Post
If that is in reply to my post, I (or Sigismund) was not suggesting he remained in orbit above Terra whilst he bled the loyalists dry. But out amongst the galaxy.

What if, after Isstvan, Horus mustered his Legions and reinforced the Word Bearers assault on Calth? The death of Guilliman and destruction of the XIII would have only been the first step. If Horus remained out amongst the Imperium, whilst the loyalists remained mustered and paranoid on Terra, Horus would likely have triumphed by tearing the Imperium apart piece by piece, Legion by Legion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #100 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-03-12, 03:14 PM

Apostle's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
If that is in reply to my post, I (or Sigismund) was not suggesting he remained in orbit above Terra whilst he bled the loyalists dry. But out amongst the galaxy.

What if, after Isstvan, Horus mustered his Legions and reinforced the Word Bearers assault on Calth? The death of Guilliman and destruction of the XIII would have only been the first step. If Horus remained out amongst the Imperium, whilst the loyalists remained mustered and paranoid on Terra, Horus would likely have triumphed by tearing the Imperium apart piece by piece, Legion by Legion.
That's what I am thinking. I also think fleeing (there wouldnt have been much of an immediate chase after the assault on Terra) and going to say, find and hunt down the Lion or Russ. Take them out, then return. He had more Primarch's at his disposal, and for sure more deadly ones. (IMO).

Also Horus would have had more backup coming, though it would not have arrived before the Emperor's. If the full might of the Night Lords and Alpha Legion along with their Primarchs. In order for that to work however, at least one or two out of The Lion, Roboute and Russ would have to be taken out of the picture.
Go back and crush Terra.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode