Other Eye of Terrors - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-12, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Shattertheirsky's Flag is: United Kingdom

Other Eye of Terrors

So Slaanesh was born just before the start of the Great Crusade and he made the eye of terror. Soooooo, it stands to reason that Nurgle,Tzeench and Khorne must of been born, but as Slanny is the youngest, obviously at an early date, so where are their 'Eye of Terrors' and when abouts were they born? Or, have they been around since the dawn of time/ its not explained?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-12, 11:05 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

I think the other three where around since time began or before the milky way became full of sentient life, the frolicing eldars hedonism conceived slannesh and birthed the eye of terror, of course there is the mealstrom where huron blackheart hangs out so that is a possible "birthing pool". interesting theory but i'm not a proper fluff guru so cant be of any other help

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-12, 11:09 PM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shattertheirsky View Post
So Slaanesh was born just before the start of the Great Crusade and he made the eye of terror. Soooooo, it stands to reason that Nurgle,Tzeench and Khorne must of been born, but as Slanny is the youngest, obviously at an early date, so where are their 'Eye of Terrors' and when abouts were they born? Or, have they been around since the dawn of time/ its not explained?
The answer is...we don't know. There's no lore (to my knowledge) about the births of the other Chaos Gods.

Hell, with how the warp works, the other Chaos Gods could be born in the future and somehow exist in the past and present because the Warp could care less about linear time.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-12, 12:51 AM

Nave Senrag's Flag is: USA

From what I've heard, the other chaos gods formed over thousands of years, and Slaanesh was born in an instant, so that might have something to do with it. On the other hand time in the warp is meaningless, but it seems like Chaos flaunts even its own ability to flaunt the laws of physics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompy Bits View Post
Yup, that sounds about right. The only faction who are a bigger bunch of backstabbers than the Imperium are the Eldar (and this is debatable as the Eldar only stab OTHER factions in the back).
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-12, 08:16 AM

in my opinion due to the fact Slaanesh was conceived almost entirely through the efforts of the Eldar race and since the eye consumed and envelops what used to be their Homeworlds, i think the fact that there were so many of them packed together in a relatively small space meant that when Slaanesh achieved sentience and reaped their souls, because they were close together the combined effects of reaping and closeness tore through the veil of reality. (and so Slaanesh affected a relatively small area, i.e. it was concentrated)

The other gods are different, mainly in the fact they didnt care which races worshipped them (for example khorne) so when they achieved sentience they reaped souls that belonged to a variety of races and therefore from a variety of places and so while in certain areas where blood lust was rife they were consumed by the warp (tear through reality) while others were left relatively unscathed and so because the reaping took place over a wider area it was more diluted and didnt carry the same punch as Slaanesh's birth but affected a wider area.

Last edited by Lost&Damned; 07-18-12 at 03:31 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-12, 11:16 AM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

It seems to be the case that the other three gods do not have a correspondent warp rift caused by their birth.

The Eye of Terror was the result of Slaanesh's intimate connection with the Eldar, it doesn't seem that the other three gods had such a connection with any particular species. Going by the lore -
Quote:
In the warp, similar thoughts and emotions gather together like rivulets of water running down a cliff face. They form streams and eddies of anguish and desire, pools of hatred and torrents of pride. For billions of years these tides and waves flowed unceasingly through Warpspace, and such is their power that they formed creatures made of the stuff of Warpspace.

These instinctual, formless beings gained rudimentary consciousness and the Chaos gods were born - vast psychic presences made of the dreams and nightmares of mortals. As the races of the galaxy prospered and grew, so too did their hopes and dreams, their rage and wars, their love and hatred, feeding the Chaos Gods and nurturing their power.
- it seems that the rise of the other gods was a much more gradual process, accelerated by the devastation caused by the War in Heaven. Slaanesh's birth in comparison was much more rapid and caused (almost solely) by the depredation of the Eldar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-12, 01:02 PM

tabbytomo's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost&Damned View Post
in my opinion due to the fact Slaanesh was conceived almost entirely through the efforts of the Eldar race and since the eye consumed and envelops what used to be their Homeworlds, i think the fact that there were so many of them packed together in a relatively small space meant that when Slaanesh achieved sentience and reaped their souls, because they were close together the combined effects of reaping and closeness tore through the veil of reality. (and so Slaanesh affected a relatively small area, i.e. it was concentrated)

The other gods are different, mainly in the fact they didnt care which races worshipped them (for example khorne) so when they achieved sentience they reaped souls that belonged to a variety of races and therefore from a variety of places and so while in certain areas where blood lust was rife they were consumed by the warp (tear through reality) while others were left relatively unscathed and so because the reaping took place over a wider area it was more diluted and didnt carry the same punch as Slaanesh's birth but affected a wider area.
I'd suggest this is why there are areas in the galaxy where the veil between the material universe and the immaterium is weaker than others...

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time." - Aurelian Lorgar
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-12, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Shattertheirsky's Flag is: United Kingdom

E.g the maelstrom right?

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-12, 03:50 PM

tabbytomo's Flag is: United Kingdom

The maelstrom would be a fine example sir. Other notable examples are noted in any book where the author needs to explain why the will be daemons in the next few chapters, "the fabric between our universe and the warp must be thing here, I can feel things scratching, dark things, trying to get through".

Thats not a quote from any particular publication, but is so close to so many actual quotes, take my word for it.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time." - Aurelian Lorgar
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-12, 06:19 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbytomo View Post
I'd suggest this is why there are areas in the galaxy where the veil between the material universe and the immaterium is weaker than others...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbytomo View Post
The maelstrom would be a fine example sir. Other notable examples are noted in any book where the author needs to explain why the will be daemons in the next few chapters, "the fabric between our universe and the warp must be thing here, I can feel things scratching, dark things, trying to get through".

Thats not a quote from any particular publication, but is so close to so many actual quotes, take my word for it.
Such areas are usually presented as natural phenomenons, or as the result of particular circumstances (such as a high concentration of psykers). I feel that the birth of a Chaos God would have caused more than simply thinning the veil between dimensions in a particular area - if indeed that what was you were getting at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode