Allies confusion - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-12, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Shattertheirsky's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Allies confusion

I went to buy the 6th Ed today because I am sick of having to borrow everybody else's whenever I want to play. I cast my eyes to the allies section and am met with a number of fluff inconsistencies.

Imperial Guard:
Are allies of convenience with the Grey Knights? Surely as both being Imperial troops they should be battle bros! Furthermore allies of convenience with both Demons and Chaos? The Imperial Guard codex assumes that all troops are loyal, so surely these two factions should be come the apocalypse. However I can't understand why the IG are convenience to Tau whilst SM are battle brothers! Surely the SM want to purge the Tau as much as the IG?!

Eldar:
The Dark Eldar led to the fall of the Eldar race right? So surely they should be hating on each other, not battle bros! Furthermore the eldar look down on the tau as being young and inferior!

Last edited by Shattertheirsky; 07-15-12 at 04:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-12, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Shattertheirsky's Flag is: United Kingdom

Could this be moved to fluff please? It was originally a rant WITH a rules question, but I finally found what I was looking for so edited out the rules question!

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-12, 04:17 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Imperial Guard - can also be used to represent Traitor Guard, the Gue'seva [sic] etc. But I agree with you on the Tau.

Eldar - nope, apparently according to recent fluff they're merely different cultures rather than worst enemies. And there's hints that the Eldar (or at least the Old Ones), had a helping hand in the Tau's development.

One Eye Open - Bottom of page 112. Basically means your forces can sit immobile for a turn if they don't "trust" their allies.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-12, 08:34 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shattertheirsky View Post
Imperial Guard:
Are allies of convenience with the Grey Knights? Surely as both being Imperial troops they should be battle bros!
Grey Knights are unknown to everyone except the Space Wolves. They can never have battle brothers as they just mysteriously turn up out of nowhere. They also mind wipe or eliminate any one who sees them so the tend not to get too chummy.

Having said that I think that Inquisitors should be an exception and be Battle Bro's with IG at least and probably all of the SM's as well.

Quote:
Furthermore allies of convenience with both Demons and Chaos? The Imperial Guard codex assumes that all troops are loyal, so surely these two factions should be come the apocalypse.
As above, this is so you can model Archenemy traitor guard, cultists etc.

Quote:
However I can't understand why the IG are convenience to Tau whilst SM are battle brothers! Surely the SM want to purge the Tau as much as the IG?!
IG again because of them being kept in the dark about most things wouldn't really have any understanding of the Tau. SM on the other hand are being charged by the Inquisition to husband the Tau as they are immune to the ravages of the warp and are seen by some as our salvation.

Quote:
Eldar:
The Dark Eldar led to the fall of the Eldar race right? So surely they should be hating on each other, not battle bros!
DE and Eldar are notorious for swinging loyalties, they will do anything to get what they want, i.e. their Hedonism. A deal can easily be struck with either of them, it would be a fragile alliance but an alliance none the less. Of course if nothing else "Blood is thicker than water" so relatives, however much they might hate each other, will band together against outsiders.

Last edited by Magpie_Oz; 07-15-12 at 08:41 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-12, 08:38 PM
Banned
VanquisherMBT's Flag is: England

Although battle brothers for eldar and dark is still a little off, convinence would of been more appropriate, but it could be to represent eldar pirates, since they will be a mixture more than a craftworld will
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-12, 03:10 AM

Azrell's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
Grey Knights are unknown to everyone except the Space Wolves. They can never have battle brothers as they just mysteriously turn up out of nowhere. They also mind wipe or eliminate any one who sees them so the tend not to get too chummy.

Having said that I think that Inquisitors should be an exception and be Battle Bro's with IG at least and probably all of the SM's as well.

As above, this is so you can model Archenemy traitor guard, cultists etc.

IG again because of them being kept in the dark about most things wouldn't really have any understanding of the Tau. SM on the other hand are being charged by the Inquisition to husband the Tau as they are immune to the ravages of the warp and are seen by some as our salvation.

DE and Eldar are notorious for swinging loyalties, they will do anything to get what they want, i.e. their Hedonism. A deal can easily be struck with either of them, it would be a fragile alliance but an alliance none the less. Of course if nothing else "Blood is thicker than water" so relatives, however much they might hate each other, will band together against outsiders.

Dante knows about them and agreed to let them mind wipe all the BAs that were involved. So people know, they just don't trust them, because when they show up the shits already on the floor under the fan.

It takes a pack of Wolves to tree a Lion... here is hopping the new DA codex reflects that.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-12, 04:32 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrell View Post
Dante knows about them and agreed to let them mind wipe all the BAs that were involved. So people know, they just don't trust them, because when they show up the shits already on the floor under the fan.
-sniff- they all hate us right up to the point where the bad guys are gnawing on their butts THEN we're everybody's baby -sniff-
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-12, 10:55 AM

I know from their Codex there's a story of the Dark Eldar helping out the Iyanden Eldar because they found their exploits into necromancy and such "amusing." So even when the Dark Eldar ally with them, they still manage to be dicks which is cool. I also get that IG would be unwary around the mysterious Grey Knights, but I think they'd be closer to them then Space Marines would be to Tau.

Although at the end of the day, I guess they just wanted to keep some fairness in the amount you could ally with someone...apart from Tyranids.

"Death? You want death? I'm afraid that would be far too boring."
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-12, 11:18 AM
Embrace the Insanity

Insanity's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
However I can't understand why the IG are convenience to Tau whilst SM are battle brothers! Surely the SM want to purge the Tau as much as the IG?!
The only reason I know for the Tau / SM relation is there was a rumor saying that The Emperor tasked Guilliman to protect the Tau. Probably because they have no corruption or taint due to Chaos.

Quote:
Eldar:
The Dark Eldar led to the fall of the Eldar race right? So surely they should be hating on each other, not battle bros!
Wrong, the Eldar both dark and craft world both strive for the preservation of their species as a whole, yes the craftworld Eldar look down upon their dark brethren, but they are still part of the same dying race and would still gladly help one another.

Quote:
Furthermore the eldar look down on the tau as being young and inferior!
Wrong again, here is a quote that should clear stuff up

Eldrad Ulthran, Farseer of Ulthwé Craftworld

"I have followed the myriad potential futures of the Tau with great interest. Though barely even striplings compared to us, I feel a strange protectiveness towards them. In time I believe they will exceed even our greatest feats and master the darkness within their souls." ~ Codex: Tau (3rd Edition), p. 61
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-12, 11:34 AM

Eldrad maybe would look on them (tau) as potential friends.
What about the DE? Lilith? Vect?
I'm sure there was some fluff where the DE 'helped' Tau to repel an invasion (can't remember who by) and then made them hand over some fire warriors, who got experimented on. (possibly in the DE codex)

I also don't think Dark Eldar would ever 'gladly' help anyone

Not unless there was something in it for them - one of the eldar path's books shows an accord between Eldar and Dark Eldar - The eldar involved in the deal realise they've been sold out by their own leaders to the dark eldar.

I see the eldar as permanantly looking out for number 1.
The Eldar will only do what's best for their craftword.
The DA will only do what's best for them.

They'll talk to each other, they will even ally together on the field, but as soon as the mutual interests diverge....

So for me - the fluff works both ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
Fur is for the weak!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode