Wait there, now you guys are talking about the dragon, it sounds awefully similar to the sentient thing The Lion encounters in his own Primarchs story. Do you think they're linked?
If memory serves, the agents guarding the device in The Lion
are the same faction as those who crop up conspicuously in Deliverance Lost
, also noted to be of 'The Order of the Dragon'.
There's an inherent point that Deadeye's overlooking here, unsurprisingly as the implications of the power of the C'tan aren't trivial.
First of all: the idea that the Emperor in M1 was the same as that of the Emperor in M30 when he conquers Earth, or M31, when he single-mindedly builds his own section of the Webway, something that it previously took the Burning One (C'tan & Dolmen Gates) or the Old Ones (Warp Gates in the first place) to achieve. The Eldar have ambiguous mastery and a surprising degree of innate control, but we really don't know how that compares to the magic (or triviality) of the Emperor and the Dolmen Gates.
The second point: the C'tan aren't unified, the shards even less so. The events which caused the Dragon to appear on Earth in a shoddy state to fight the Emperor and the events which saw the Talismans of Vaul used against the entire entity and the extent of the entity that's actual imprisoned on Mars are not at all clear
For all we know, events could have proceeded like this:
- Talismans of Vaul used to 'defeat' the Void Dragon during the War in Heaven.
- Entire/most-of/section-of C'tan 'knocked unconscious' to Mars 'the Vaul Moon'
- Sliver/shard of the C'tan makes it to Terra and fights the Emperor
- Emperor beats the 'awake' Shard and proceeds to Mars to imprison/bind the pieces/thing that the Emperor can find on Mars
- Indeterminate numbers of shards might escape/leak from the prison on Mars (notably the Shroud assault on Mars by Necrons in M41 or as the Book stolen by Zouche & Caxton in the epilogue of Mechanicum
In that regard, by M41:
- The bulk of the Void Dragon might still be unconscious and imprisoned on Mars
- Some shards could be loose, some used by the Adeptus Mechanicus' 'Order of the Dragon', some recovered by Necrons, some simply 'loose' and causing mischief (the Book)?
Alternatively the whole thing could have escaped Mars by binding its consciousness into the Book. Or the whole thing was never on
Mars, only a single Shard that the Emperor fought. It could be loose. It could have fled the galaxy. We know tiny, vague bits; we don't know all.