Vulkan sighting in GK Book? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-26-12, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

Default Vulkan sighting in GK Book?

I was reading one of the recent posts on, "What are the primarchs up to?" and was surprised that of all the potentially remaining primarchs, Vulkan seemed to present the largest mystery, outside of him returning once the Salamanders find his sacred objects.

After going through the article, I recalled a character in the GK novel, "Hammer of Daemons." When Justicar Alaric is first taken to the Chaos world Draakasi in the Eye of Terror he wakes up in a smithy (the start of Chapter 5) with a character that has...

<spoiler>-a voice, "It was deep and gravelly, from a throat scorched by years amid the forges."
-"He was a massive man with brawny shoulders and dark skin"
-"...a smith by trade... There are no blades like mine on this world... armour such as I can craft. Fits like a steel skin. Bends like silk. Toughened by fires as fiece as the heart of a star, strong enough to turn Khorne's own axe aside."<endspoiler>

The character turns up a couple more times in the book without additional description, but the boasts of the smith for his work seem to hold true in the book. As well, the character seems to know just how and when to aid Justicar Alaric to bring about the climax wherein the Grey Knight... just read the book yourself. The description of his size is also from the viewpoint of Alaric, a Grey Knight, who himself is a good head above most Astares.

From what I've read of Vulkan, this is the closest I've seen him described that fits with the available facts of his dissapearance... OK, meaning that he's a smith, has dark skin, and is in the Eye of Terror, which is more than we have on Russ or Corax right now. Condsidering Vulkan has in mind the eventual goal of defeating Chaos, it would make sense for him to stay on a Chaos world that would allow him to practice making weapons that are better and better at killing Chaos.

If this issue has been discussed before, I apologize as it doesn't turn up in a Forum search. As well, I wanted to put some spoiler alert, but forget the exact codes for doing so. Besides, the novel is already 4 years old.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-26-12, 11:07 PM

jams's Flag is: Wales

a nice theory, and quite probably correct

+Rep sir!

Follow my online ramblings:
Blog: http://crucible-of-fate.blogspot.co.uk/
Twitter: @geochimp
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-26-12, 11:11 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

If a single GK could find a way to fight his way off the planet then surely a Prmarch would have done so years before, shortly after slaughtering every last heretic he could find.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-26-12, 11:14 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Unless he had some reason to stay Norm...perhaps his anonymity keeps the Imperium safer somehow...
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-26-12, 11:22 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Could be I suppose, just seems like a bit of a stretch. I don't remember anything that made him stand out as being a primarch though. I imagine them as being far more impressive than a larger than average guy with dark skin.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-26-12, 11:34 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Maybe his skin colouration makes him selectively invisible. That'd be fucking cool.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 06:20 AM
Drinker of tea...

TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

Man, that is great observation. I remember reading that story and now you point it out it seems obvious. And yes, making weapons to defeat chaos would be the perfect pastime for an imortal.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 06:22 AM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

Especially an immortal with a smithing hobby.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 06:41 AM
Banned
VanquisherMBT's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
If a single GK could find a way to fight his way off the planet then surely a Prmarch would have done so years before, shortly after slaughtering every last heretic he could find.
To add, by that theory though russ should of been found ages ago
"where is our primarch?"
"well if we follow this trail of dead bodies, I'm sure we can't go far wrong"

Maybe the primarchs have no power there, or have forgotten there past, or something, its not discussed allot by GW any further than "there are primarchs in that chaos place, the thingy"
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 06:46 AM
Cruxyh's Flag is: Netherlands

I just looked up the final talk Alaric had with that smith, during which he noticed surgical scars and a black carapace, which raises the question, did the primarchs have a black carapace?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode