Vulkan sighting in GK Book? - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 10:10 PM
dtq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
Some imperial dreadnoughts go increasingly insane or detached from the physical world, needing longer and longer periods to sleep in. Plus bjorn is kept asleep for most of the time, Prospero Burns had visions of a frozen ice cave where the spirits of dreadnought pilots was hanging out in by a fire, Kaspar Hauser joining them.
Insane is very different to dieing of old age. A machine body and hundreds of years of unending war are likelly to take their toll.

I know Bjorn sleeps most of the time, I read in a novel somewhere recently that the space wolf dreadnoughts have to spend so much of their time asleep to avoid the curse of the Wulfen. Im not sure if Ive heard of other chapter dreadnoughts sleeping most of the time.

Wasnt kasper stored in stasis at the time or something? as he was at the end of the book? Very good book, suggesting to my reading at least that the space wolves were involved in the deletion of the two "lost" primarchs and chapters... But thats another topic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 10:18 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
False. We have no data on whether or not a Primarch can live 10k years. Making such a claim that "there is no way they could be alive normally" is specious.
The only lore that I can think of which suggests the contrary is Codex: Imperialis: "...Although long lived, the Primarchs were not immortal and the last of their kind finally died after fourteen hundred years."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 10:22 PM

1400? Dante and Grimnar pretty much that old

post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 10:24 PM
Banned
VanquisherMBT's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
The only lore that I can think of which suggests the contrary is Codex: Imperialis: "...Although long lived, the Primarchs were not immortal and the last of their kind finally died after fourteen hundred years."
But there not all dead, the dark angels primarch is certainly not really dead, and russ was never confirmed dead, and some are daemon primarchs, that's technically alive
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 10:37 PM

CPT Killjoy's Flag is: USA

I have to agree, 1500 doesn't seem old enough. I'm having trouble remembering which book this is in, so if anyone knows, help me out here. I'm fairly certain that it's in 'Salamander', but again not sure. All I remember is that they find a space marine locked behind a door, and that he had been sitting there since just after the heresy. He was the last of his squad alive, and had been sitting there keeping watch over their armor, with the memories of the battle that had slowly killed them off over time. He finally dies in the book, but not before passing on the precious information to the Space marine that finds him. Should no one be able to think of this, I'll site it once I get back home (Away on business currently). That being said, I would think that this should be a good base line for how long a normal SM can live before dying of old age. Primarchs, I would assume, would live well beyond this age. Again, apologize for being so vague.

"In the game of chess, you must never let your opponent see your pieces."
-Captain Zapp Brannigan
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 01:20 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
And no fluff has directly contradicted this since - none of it explicitly states they're immortal, so they aren't. *shrug*
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Killjoy View Post
I have to agree, 1500 doesn't seem old enough. I'm having trouble remembering which book this is in, so if anyone knows, help me out here. I'm fairly certain that it's in 'Salamander', but again not sure. All I remember is that they find a space marine locked behind a door, and that he had been sitting there since just after the heresy. He was the last of his squad alive, and had been sitting there keeping watch over their armor, with the memories of the battle that had slowly killed them off over time. He finally dies in the book, but not before passing on the precious information to the Space marine that finds him. Should no one be able to think of this, I'll site it once I get back home (Away on business currently). That being said, I would think that this should be a good base line for how long a normal SM can live before dying of old age. Primarchs, I would assume, would live well beyond this age. Again, apologize for being so vague.
Yep, that's Salamander. Though it implies that the Marine was also vegetative for the bulk of that time and perhaps in a sus-an-membrance trance.

Anyway, with regard to the topic: I like the idea. It's certainly speculated that Vulkan could survive. When I read Hammer of Daemons (and it's a fine book, easily the best of that trilogy) my mind did leap immediately to Vulkan.

Of course, it could be anyone. Any Space Marine who's been in the Eye of Terror long enough could start looking like that. He could be an oddball Iron Hand, a loner Iron Warrior, he could be the last Space Marine, still alive but in the past millions of years after seeing the end of everything, but alive in the Eye knowing how to sort things at the right time.

I like the Vulkan idea, but Vulkan is a huge well of possibilities, but it's also easy to see him everywhere, hiding in every bush and behind every conspiracy. Kudos to the OP, neat conjecture.

---

Primarch's Ages

Bear in mind: the Primarchs are not Space Marines. They're the genetic forebears, but they're not Space Marines. They're a different breed of super-human. They're varied, there wasn't an exact cookie cutter for them (as we learn in Deliverance Lost - the Emperor valued variation).

It's possible that some have innate bits about them that make them live longer/shorter. Perhaps Ferrus Manus and Sanguinius were capable of immortality...but Dorn and Vulkan were very much destined to die. Perhaps Alpharius is nigh unkillable? (A literal head of a legendary hydra: cut him down, two more sprout up!)

The thing is, for all we know of Space Marines, we know almost nothing of the Primarchs. Fabius and such remark on precisely this in the Heresy books. Talos and Variel (IIRC) muse on it in the NL books - they really are wondrous, unique creatures. Even with twenty of them, there's no telling quite what they were capable of and what their limitations are.

Last edited by Xisor; 04-28-12 at 02:20 AM.
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 02:22 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

In False Gods, one major reason for Horus' upset, was that he thought he had been created for immortality when he saw the shrine world in the future.
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 02:35 PM

he was upset because as soon as the erebus showed him a possible future, i.e. after he rebelled and lost, no one worshipped him, he beleived the emperor had less right to be worshipped than Himself, as he felt he did all the hard-work and the Emperor just took the credit.

i think the primarchs are immune to the effects of time, they arent flesh but power,warp and will given form, whoever has read Legion will know that a mortal was given a tiny shard of the emperors power and through it lived TEN THOUSAND years, Malcador lived for a really long time thanks to the emperor too, the aforementioned 2 were only given shards of the emperor while the primarchs are obviously far more substantially gifted.
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 04:25 PM
Digg40k's Flag is: United Kingdom

With regards to the OP this doesn't seem too far fetched in my mind and is entirely plausible, nice find!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode