Space Marine voices - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-12, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition
Default Space Marine voices

Hello fellow heretics!

So, me and my friend were talking the other day and we were commenting on the fact that they are usually taken at the start/middle of puberty. At some point, one of us made a comment about the natural development of guys during the usual recruitment age. Now, assuming that that basic physiological stuff that happens to boys in puberty still happens in the 40k universe, does that mean some space marines are 'under-developed'? As in, do some space marines have pre-pubescent range voices, or are basically bald?

Just and interesting thought and I was wondering if anyone had any answers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-12, 02:47 AM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

I see your point but i think they are taken at that point so that the accelerated physical development that begins at puberty can be accelerated and enhanced. I would suspect that their voices would be deeper and heavier than normal human voices because of the larger sise of all the parts of the body that contribute to voice tone and depth. I cannot picture a 7 foot superman with michael jacksons voice. 'OW' /end crotch grab. I think the lack of hair is part of their enhancements. I think excessive bodyhair might cause a problem with some of the interfaces in astartes armor.(Speculation)

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-12, 02:53 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaantitus View Post
I cannot picture a 7 foot superman with michael jacksons voice. 'OW' /end crotch grab.
LOL of the month !

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-12, 02:57 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

It takes many years for a applicants to become Space marines. Usually they're around 18-20 before receiving their final implant, the black carapace.

Though I guess there are some 18-20 year olds that may not have had their voices dropped, but that's probably remedied by 1. They only take the meanest, baddest 12-14 year olds in the first place (this means they were probably early devleopers, anyway) and the cocktail of drugs and their extra organs designed for increased growth probably do the rest.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-12, 04:41 AM

Davidicus 40k's Flag is: USA

Keep in mind that vox-amplifiers in the helmet pretty much turn everything into a growl/bark as well.

"Consequence of Mercy" - Written for KingOfCheese
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-12, 08:37 AM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

It is said that part of the transformation uses hormone treatments. If you dump enough testosterone into a teenage boy, you accelerate puberty including the physical changes to the larynx and vocal chords. You also very likely cause rage and psychopathic behavior as well as sterility; all traits common in Space Marines.

But you could probably find a few green, soft-voiced Guardsmen. The recruitment/conscription age on some worlds is fairly young.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-12, 09:20 AM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

Currently reading The Emperor's Finest, where Commissar Cain meets SM from the Reclaimers Chapter. Cain describes the voices of the Reclaimers SM as "impossibly deep, rich, and resonant." If you can take them as representative, then SM probably sound like James Earl Jones on steroids.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-12, 08:34 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

The reason children are taken as young as they are is because the natural growth hormones released are necessary for the successful implantation of the various organs. So rather than retarding it it kicks that natural development into a frenzied over-drive.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-12, 08:35 PM

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-12, 09:46 PM

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaantitus View Post
I see your point but i think they are taken at that point so that the accelerated physical development that begins at puberty can be accelerated and enhanced. I would suspect that their voices would be deeper and heavier than normal human voices because of the larger sise of all the parts of the body that contribute to voice tone and depth. I cannot picture a 7 foot superman with michael jacksons voice. 'OW' /end crotch grab. I think the lack of hair is part of their enhancements. I think excessive bodyhair might cause a problem with some of the interfaces in astartes armor.(Speculation)
I could see Blood Angels and Necrons doing the Thriller.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode