What God are they talking about? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-12, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Default What God are they talking about?

In "Know No Fear" The character Ollanius or whatever was like grasping a religious icon and asking for a God to help him or whatever. By the conversation he had with that other dude when he was like "knocked out" he can distinguish between the emperor and gods so I want to know are they hinting at some kind of good god that we don't know about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-12, 03:47 PM

Designation P-90's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJay View Post
In "Know No Fear" The character Ollanius or whatever was like grasping a religious icon and asking for a God to help him or whatever. By the conversation he had with that other dude when he was like "knocked out" he can distinguish between the emperor and gods so I want to know are they hinting at some kind of good god that we don't know about?
Catholic (or w/e its called "catheric?" in 40k)

Praise to the Machine God
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-12, 03:51 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Remember that Ollianus seems to know the Emperor personally, so he will be fully aware he is not a god. He was also born in a deeply religous era, when every race relied on the gods to bring good crops and mild winters. No matter his age, it's hard to break habits like that. It might be a deity from the ancient world as we know it, or the same god our modern monotheistic religions follow.

It's no real surprise that someone called Olianus Pious would be a man of faith.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-12, 03:07 AM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

One of the driving forces behind the Great Crusade for the Emperor was to abolish religion. (How displeased he must be that he's revered as a god.) So the various human civilizations across the galaxy likely had a host of multiple religious beliefs. Even the Primarch Lorgar was devote in his faith and used the Word Bearers to spread it, something that drove arguments between him and the Emperor.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-12, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

That isn't a "religious" habit from what I can tell. He is clearly more informed than even the primarchs it seems. He knew what the warp was, and they hinted that he belonged to something special and secretive that was on a whole different level than everyone else. He had some kind of special mission that we don't know about, but to him and his buddy, it was something that had to be done.

That is why I feel they are hinting at some kind of diety. He isn't some ignorant person who had an old religion that he couldn't break. It seemed he had some kind of fore knowledge. Plus the way he handled the warp without it fucking him up, seems to scream something is protecting him.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-12, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJay View Post
That is why I feel they are hinting at some kind of diety. He isn't some ignorant person who had an old religion that he couldn't break. It seemed he had some kind of fore knowledge. Plus the way he handled the warp without it fucking him up, seems to scream something is protecting him.
He had a belief in a god, but wasn't it just John Grammaticus showing him a future? He picked up a weapon and challenged Horus in defense of the Emperor? Yes, I think Oli believed in something beyond the Emperor, but at that moment, he really just believed in humanity.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-12, 12:51 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Would it be the primordial creator? We hear little about that as compared to the primordial annihilator chaos/gods of chaos.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-12, 01:40 PM

Darkoan's Flag is: Australia

This is what I liked about Know No Fear - it inserted lots of new opportunities for speculation and fluff + some elucidation and even some surprises.

Its not immediately obvious what this 'God' he addresses is, and I think its intended as a bit of a mystery thrown in by DA.

As stated above, I think a logical explanation is, given Oll's age, he's simply revering some old god (eg christian God) in a way he sees is still consistent with the universe that has been revealed to him over his long life (ie the existence of the Warp gods etc).

Maybe hes so blase about the existence of the Warp gods he sees them as just another life form struggling for existence in the galaxy, and only his Christian/ Islamic/Judaic god is worthy of religious acknowledgment.

Or something like that. Who knows? I like the mystery.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode