C'tan retconned into oblivion. - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-05-11, 11:33 AM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEQinc View Post
If it can fight on the table, it should be owned by anything that can't
Sorry, but what logic leads you to that conclusion?

Primarchs and the Emperor don`t fight on TT because they don`t exist as living entities in the current setting, not because they`re too OP for the games. Remember Angron was given White Dwarf rules which were little more than buffed Daemon Prince rules. The Chaos gods don`t exist on TT because their very existence is wholly bound to the warp.

By your logic I can say the Silent King is on par with the Emperor despite the fluff giving us no evience to suggest he is anything more than a necron overlord with higher status than the others.

Nonsense is our Salvation

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-05-11, 03:31 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexHolker View Post
Don't be obtuse. It wasn't "a single man", it was the God-Emperor of Mankind, one of the most powerful entities in the entire setting.
So an Emperor of Man who was beaten by his own son, a Primarch, was able to defeat a C'Tan, a race of God-like Creatures in power worshipped by a race that ruled the Galaxy before there was such a thing as even the race of man, let alone a civilisation of man, and then imprison and break it? Right.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-05-11, 09:56 PM
Feed

The c`tan were described as being tied to the fundamental fabric of the materium itself and as such they were nigh on impossible to destroy. Even the necrons acknowledged this. The best they could accomplish was to shatter the c`tan and divide their essences into thousands of shards.

These shards are powerful but still very much fallible. It`s a safe assumption that every encounter previously with a "c`tan" was actually an encounter with a shard. Given the description of the things this is not difficult to believe.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-11, 10:59 AM

thelastonestanding's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
So an Emperor of Man who was beaten by his own son, a Primarch, was able to defeat a C'Tan, a race of God-like Creatures in power worshipped by a race that ruled the Galaxy before there was such a thing as even the race of man, let alone a civilisation of man, and then imprison and break it? Right.
A god-like man, the strongest known psycher, who is eventually worshipped by the largest Empire in the current galactic situation, beats a god-like entity that was tied to the material world and vulnerable to psychic attack.
Not that shocking, especially when we have no idea how this fight actually went down.
Plus, Horus was basically a demigod, pimped out to the extreme by the gods of Chaos when he fought the Emperor... and even then, it's debatable whether he'd actually have done any real damage to the Emperor if the whole father-son relationship hadn't come in to play.

Loyalty is its own reward.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-11, 12:11 PM

jaysen's Flag is: USA

It's strange that people assume that a person in power would be personally all powerfull on the battlefield. The reason for coming to power can be cunning, charisma, family backing, financial wizardry, murder, brilliance, whatever. It doesn't make you a close combat genius or give you superman abilities.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-11, 06:18 PM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Which makes perfect sense in reality and in some 40k factions, but when it comes to the emperor and the primarchs they do seem to be freakish beings that draw inhuman amounts of power latently from the raw psychic energy of the universe, for not even c'tan and carifex's shrug of a power fist to the face, something that russ did with apparent ease.

I do like the fact they are moving away from HQ's being retarded shit brick houses and allowing them to generate army buffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysen View Post
It's strange that people assume that a person in power would be personally all powerfull on the battlefield. The reason for coming to power can be cunning, charisma, family backing, financial wizardry, murder, brilliance, whatever. It doesn't make you a close combat genius or give you superman abilities.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Sorry, but what logic leads you to that conclusion?
The idea that things which can be represented on the table top must adhere to the limits presented there (at least slightly) in their appearances in the fluff. Whereas an individual presented only in the fluff is not so constrained.

Quote:
Primarchs and the Emperor don`t fight on TT because they don`t exist as living entities in the current setting, not because they`re too OP for the games.
That's not really the point. Plus, if we look at the things they do in the HH novels, they would be OP in the games. (Unless they cost thousands of points but again, not the point.)

Quote:
Remember Angron was given White Dwarf rules which were little more than buffed Daemon Prince rules.
And I feel that was a mistake. The Primarchs are presented in the fluff as being far too powerful to effectively be portrayed on the table top and I'm okay with that.

Quote:
By your logic I can say the Silent King is on par with the Emperor despite the fluff giving us no evience to suggest he is anything more than a necron overlord with higher status than the others.
That's not my logic. I never said that anything not presented on the table was equal in power. I said it was greater than what was. So by my logic, the Silent King can mop the floor with a regular overlord.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-07-11, 02:54 PM
Vallyuk's Flag is: United Kingdom

Do you think its fair to say then that the Necron Shards are similar to how the Eldar Avatars came to be? I.e shattered peices of their God Khaine?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode