My Little Pony Kill Team - Page 8 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 01:26 AM
Senior Member
 
emporershand89's Avatar
emporershand89's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!
Posts: 2,270
Reputation: 8
Default

I suppose I should clarify then. I have actually been made to watch my little pony. My girlfriend invites her GF's over to use my Netflix to watch the 1st Season, and probably the 2nd Season, though idk if it's on there. So yes, I have seen it.

To me Galahad it is just as you said...

Quote:
I'm not sure what you imagine it being, but it's not a mindless 'pretty colors and silly voices to amuse infants' program
....I consider this to bee a little child's show. I will give you it's not Telly Tubbies or Barney; perhaps that was a bit much. But it still falls into that pre-teen category. The only reason I believe MLP is so successful outside of the kid spectrum is because it's marketing team has done a fantastic job at selling the brand to everyone.

Anyone female can love ponies, even the bro's can be "Bronies." As stupid as I think it is I must admit it's brilliant marketing scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
It's aimed at young girls and teens just like Ben10 is aimed at young boys and teens.
Fair enough, though I feel Ben 10 was designed for Teens and college kids, like Yu-Gi-Oh was when I was in school. MLP started as a kids show, but grew into something larger. Sorry bro, but on this one it's just differences of perspective between you and me



"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
emporershand89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #72 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 02:54 AM
Executive Nitpicker
 
Galahad's Avatar
Galahad's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 8,276
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
I suppose I should clarify then. I have actually been made to watch my little pony. My girlfriend invites her GF's over to use my Netflix to watch the 1st Season, and probably the 2nd Season, though idk if it's on there. So yes, I have seen it.
So, let me ask you...do you quesdtion your girlfriend and her friends for watching a 'little child's show'? Do you think anything less of them? Do you think that they can't handle a mature and complex subject as a boy who turns into alien superheroes?

Quote:
....I consider this to bee a little child's show. I will give you it's not Telly Tubbies or Barney; perhaps that was a bit much. But it still falls into that pre-teen category.
That's the thing...people assume that just because they watched and enjoyed a show at a certain age that it was targeted for people of that age.

Ben10 is a kids' show as much as MLP is. THey target the same demo and despite the fact that a lot of adults and older kids enjoy the show, the majority of the people it's being sold to are in the younger bracket who presure their folks into buying toys and sugar cereals.

Conversely, I know people who, when they were say 4 or 5, watched the old 'Batman: The Animated Series' in the 90s and adored it, literally absorbed every minute of it and made their parents buy every action figure.
Would you say that just because young children enjoyed the show that it;s only for them? Obviously not, B:TAS was a fantastically written series that appealed and still appeals to people of all ages.

I'm not putting MLP on the same exalted tier as that bastion of animated programming, but it;s an example of a show that was marketed at little children who did most of the merch-buying, but was intelligently written and thus beloved by the adult audience of the time.

Yes, there are lots of small girls who adore MLP and make their folks buy all the ponies, but that doesn't mean that the show isn't intelligently written and capable of appealing to someone not primarily interested in having tea parties for their dollies, any more than superhero shoes are meant exclusively for kids who run around in their underoos with towels for capes.

You assume superhero shows are targeted at an older audience *because you enjoy them* and if you enjoy them they MUST be meant for older kids.

But someone else who likes something you don't is guilty of watching something out of their demographic and therefore there must be something wrong with them.

Quote:
The only reason I believe MLP is so successful outside of the kid spectrum is because it's marketing team has done a fantastic job at selling the brand to everyone.

Anyone female can love ponies, even the bro's can be "Bronies." As stupid as I think it is I must admit it's brilliant marketing scheme.
You may not realize it, but that's both profoundly ignorant of what most Bronies think, but it;s also more than a little insulting.

For starters, most bronies HATE Hasbro's marketing division because they;re constantly making the show MORE kiddy-girly, meddeling with the plots and goals of the writers and creator (Faust ended up leaving because Hasbro kept trying to dull her ideas down) and utterly fucking up the merchendise. It was almost impossible to get show-accurate merch that the adult collectors were wanting. Celestia, the goddess-figure of the show is a white winged unicorn...her first toys were PINK...why? Because Hasbro figured they would sell more pink toy horsies than white ones. Doesn't matter that it didn't match the character. And it's still almost impossible to find high-quality plushes of the characters. It wasn't until bronies started making and selling them themselves that Hasbro even bothered looking in that direction.

Fuck, it was two years before they even started putting out DVDs in season-sets instead of one-episode mini-disc pack ins with the dollies bronies don't want to buy. Seriously, the show may be written with more than just little girls in mind, but it was *marketed* exclusively to them until very recently.

So as someone who's heard the epic rants of toy collecting bronies, I find the very notion that hasbro's marketing department *attracted* people to the show to be laughable in the extreme. How is Hasbro selling it to adult men when every thing they do is aimed at selling it to the show's actual target demo. They've gone out of their way (until recently) to all but say "This show isn't for you"


Now, for the insulting bit.
Do you have any idea how iutterly back-handed and smug it sounds for *you* (who until now felt the show was meant to entertain infants) to tell *me* that the only reason *I* like something is because I fell for a marketing scheme?
Seriously, think about what you just said and understand why I'm restraining every urge to tell you to go fuck yourself. I realize you probably didn't mean for it to come off that way, but that's seriously about the most smug, superior, condescending thing I've heard in quite a while. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

You don't know why I like the things I like. You don't know me, you obviously don't know the show, and you don't know the fandom. To sit there and say to me that the only reason people enjoy what they enjoy is because they were sold on it by marketers is just incredibly, monumentally insulting.

Plus, it's laughably ironic, considering you yourself enjoy shows created for small children and sponsored entirely by toy sales. But because *you* like it, and it's 'for boys' you're NOT the victim of a marketing scheme, you're just an astute consumer who knows what he likes...because the company told you it's for you, because you're a boy. Even if you're right and the show IS actually targeted at college kids...how is a young adult male who watches a show supposedly targeted at young adult makes, NOT a victim of marketing while a young adult male who watches a show targeted at little girls IS a victim of clever marketing? Seriously, wrap your brain around that one. You're watching what they say you're supposed to watch, I'm watching what they say I'm not supposed to watch, for which there is virtually no desirable merchandise that hasn't been created by third-parries or the fans themselves, and I'm the one who got suckered by hasbro?

Now, please...don't ever presume to know the inner workings of my mind. Do not tell me why I like something, or call me the victim of creative marketing while implying that you are not.

I'm being very nice right now because it's what Fluttershy would do.
Rainbow Dash would kick your ass, however.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!



Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior




Last edited by Galahad; 05-20-13 at 03:03 AM.
Galahad is offline  
post #73 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 03:19 AM
Executive Nitpicker
 
Galahad's Avatar
Galahad's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 8,276
Reputation: 15
Default

For the record: Bronies actually started on 4Chan of all places. The cesspit of the internet.

An early review of the show (by someone who clearly hadn't watched it and was just going off of hasbro's marketing teasers and images) claimed it was sexist and terrible and sugary-girly...so 4channers flocked to watch the train wreck in progress...only to find that the show actually wasn't any of that and that somehow the candy colored ponies and their largely nonviolent adventures in friendship were quite appealing.

Think about that. 4chan is where we come from. Bronies were originally /B/ronies, named for the /B/ random section of 4chan...which is like the Mos Eisley Spaceport of the internet. Bronies spread so explosively because /B/tards (as they call themselves) started chuirning out pony mem,es and used them, rather expertly, to troll every corner of the internet that they could, including itself, because everything on 4chan is a cander that consumes itself.

Eventually Bronies got banned from 4chan...then Moot and the mod squad realized they had just turned their backs on one of the biggest, most explosively growing internet communities to date, and one that they had spawned...and now we have our own board on 4chan.

Seriously, look that shit up. Bronies came from 4chan. Hasbro had no idea what we were or where we came from ubtil very recently. You still get vestiges of it in the cuddlier corners of the community. People who contribute art are known as 'Drawfriends' on Equestria Daily and some other pony blogs...why? Because the 4chan term for people who contribute original art is "drawfags" because, well, it's 4chan and they're assholes.

You know how I started watching ponies?
It wasn't from seeing ads for it while watching Transformers.
I don't even have the hub.

A friend of mine started spamming me with cute little semi-offensive pony image macros and mashup videos and fan music...and eventually I cot curious and started watching it on youtube.

I don't have the hub, I've never seen a pony commercial, I don't own any big pony dolls with brusbable manes and frilly dresses...just a handful of the random-packed figurines like the ones that some of our very enterprising heritics are converting to 40k minis as we speak. But I enjoy the show, and the comics, and the wonderfully demented fan community.

And the comic series, BTW, IS directly targeted at the adult brony community, packed with grown-up references, fucked-up scenarios (one villian takes a cuddly kitten and slaughters it in front of some pony children), and shout-outs to all the crazy fan-favorite background characters that hasbro doesn;t even know exists.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!



Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior




Last edited by Galahad; 05-20-13 at 03:23 AM.
Galahad is offline  
 
post #74 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 03:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 179
Reputation: 1
Default

I'm going to spend the next two weeks having an awesome adventure, which is why I won't be posting here for a while. Totally not because I got banned for being alarmingly uncivil.

That post MAY have been edited to remove explicit and incredibly stupid attacks on a site admin. -G

Last edited by Galahad; 05-20-13 at 05:41 AM.
CJay is offline  
post #75 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 04:00 AM
Executive Nitpicker
 
Galahad's Avatar
Galahad's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 8,276
Reputation: 15
Default

And it's people like CJay that are why bronies tend to be a might bit sensitive and defensive of their tastes...because for every one person that genuinely wants to understand why we get it, there's a dozen little twats out there saying we like to fuck horses, or worse.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!



Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior




Last edited by Serpion5; 05-20-13 at 06:54 AM.
Galahad is offline  
post #76 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 07:45 AM
Feed
 
Serpion5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Space
Posts: 10,976
Reputation: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaLkAwaY View Post
Does it also have something to do with the animation? I know people follow animators around watching their work.
Not so much for me, though I will agree that the animation on the show is incredibly well done 95% of the time.


Nonsense is our Salvation

Serpion5 is offline  
post #77 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 08:18 AM
Executive Nitpicker
 
Galahad's Avatar
Galahad's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 8,276
Reputation: 15
Default

Though the 5% when something gets fucked up can be amusing too. Animation errors are the best ponies.



Seriously though, most of the time it looks great.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!



Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior



Galahad is offline  
post #78 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 12:19 PM
Senior Member
 
emporershand89's Avatar
emporershand89's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!
Posts: 2,270
Reputation: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
do you quesdtion your girlfriend and her friends for watching a 'little child's show'?
Yes I do actually. I've come to accept that they will watch it, but I always pose the question. However it always is meet with the evil response of, "You will cook dinner tonight."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
You assume superhero shows are targeted at an older audience *because you enjoy them* and if you enjoy them they MUST be meant for older kids.
You may not realize this but the above statement is incredibly ignorant of the actual situation at hand. :p Most people do not assume that superheroes were targeted for children anymore than people think Playboy was targeted just for grown men.

If you listen to what Stan Lee, Bill Finger, and Bob Kane have said about there comics it has little to do with children. If anything they openly admit they are targeting all audiences in the effort to bring them a good story. Many of the people who grew up reading these comics now go and watch the movies in the same fashion that Star Trek Fans who grew up with Spock and Kirk now go see the new Star Trek movies.

It is not that these people grow out of loving their childhood TV stars; they just mature and don't make a habit of constantly watching them. When girls of my generation watched Sailor Moon and us boys watched DragonBall Z we loved them back then. However, now that were all in our mid-late 20's I often here people look back on it as "that show I did watch." They may watch it on the rare occasion, but they do not follow it religiously.

My point here Galahad is simply that I believe MLP is for children, maybe even young teens. The fact that women over 25, and grown men over 25, are into watching the show that was not made in there generation neither targeted them is a little strange.



"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
emporershand89 is offline  
post #79 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 12:34 PM
Feed
 
Serpion5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Space
Posts: 10,976
Reputation: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
It is not that these people grow out of loving their childhood TV stars; they just mature and don't make a habit of constantly watching them. When girls of my generation watched Sailor Moon and us boys watched DragonBall Z we loved them back then. However, now that were all in our mid-late 20's I often here people look back on it as "that show I did watch." They may watch it on the rare occasion, but they do not follow it religiously.
Nobody follows a cartoon religiously. You watch it and you enjoy it.

I have the entire dragonball z and gt collections and I watch them when I am in the right mood. Ditto I have some of the MLP episodes on iTunes because I like to be able to watch them at will without fear of losing them on Youtube.

I've also tracked down numerous old Disney films like The Lion King and The Black Cauldron, I've obtained Looney Tunes and Nickelodeon tv series and I still enjoy most of them when the mood strikes.

Growing up happens, maturing is required but leaving behind the things you enjoyed is an option. The mentality that it HAS to happen is half the problem with people who insist on deriding people like bronies simply for having an interest like this.


Nonsense is our Salvation

Serpion5 is offline  
post #80 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 01:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Apfeljunge's Avatar
Apfeljunge's Flag is: Germany
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 109
Reputation: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post

My point here Galahad is simply that I believe MLP is for children, maybe even young teens. The fact that women over 25, and grown men over 25, are into watching the show that was not made in there generation neither targeted them is a little strange.
And here is where you are wrong imo. MLP:FiM was originally intended by it's creator for parents to be watched with their children. The intelligent and mature writing and the three dimensional characters are proof of that. FiM is no different to Pixar films in that regard.

You don't have like the show. It clearly doesn't appeal to everybody. But I don't think that anyone can take an honest look at it and not see that is was made to be watched by children AND adults. The adults that are watching it might be different than the ones it was thought for but I think the Bronies are living proof that the idea works even better than expected. You don't have to be a parent watch the show with your kid. Being a fan of good cartoons with an open mind is more than enough in most cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Nobody follows a cartoon religiously.
I can't get behind that statement. The Bronies are probably the perfect example of a cult fandom (like many other shows or sports have, too) and a great portion of it, even if it's not the majority probably, are quite religious about the show. spending a few hours on Equestria Daily makes that clear, i think.
Apfeljunge is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome