My Little Pony Kill Team - Page 7 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-19-13, 12:33 AM
Feed
 
Serpion5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Space
Posts: 10,976
Reputation: 51
Default

Yea bud. At least three and I suspect more.


Nonsense is our Salvation

Serpion5 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-19-13, 01:23 AM
Senior Moderator
 
DeathKlokk's Avatar
DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 5,719
Reputation: 20
DeathKlokk is offline  
post #63 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-19-13, 11:15 AM
Member
 
Romanov77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 97
Reputation: 2
Default

This is one of the rare cases in which the phrase "cleanse, purge, kill" would really be fitting in real life.
Romanov77 is offline  
 
post #64 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-19-13, 12:41 PM
Grr! That is all.
WaLkAwaY's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 595
Reputation: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Go easy on the bronies, some of them are staff...admins even
I don't understand.

What is the appeal?

Why do bronies like it?

What is it about it that attracts them to it?

Although it might sound like I am wanting them to justify it to me I do not I simply want to understand what the appeal is for grown men to like and want to play with something that is targeted at ages 3+.


“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.” – Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

War does not care about convenience or inclement weather. Neither should your training. ~Me (Okay really my brother and I felt bad for stealing it)




WaLkAwaY is offline  
post #65 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-19-13, 07:25 PM
Feed
 
Serpion5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Space
Posts: 10,976
Reputation: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaLkAwaY View Post
I don't understand.

What is the appeal?

Why do bronies like it?

What is it about it that attracts them to it?

Although it might sound like I am wanting them to justify it to me I do not I simply want to understand what the appeal is for grown men to like and want to play with something that is targeted at ages 3+.
For me it's like a nostalgia hit. It reminds me somewhat of the simple children's cartoons I would watch as a child. Happier times. Naturally, I could just watch cartoons from my own time but this provides the same feel and is something new.

I also watch several other children's cartoons as do other bronies I understand, so it may not necessarily be the one show that draws this kind of audience.


Nonsense is our Salvation

Serpion5 is offline  
post #66 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-19-13, 09:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 179
Reputation: 1
Default

Has someone called this dude a fag yet?
CJay is offline  
post #67 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-19-13, 11:30 PM
Executive Nitpicker
 
Galahad's Avatar
Galahad's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 8,276
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJay View Post
Has someone called this dude a fag yet?
Not if they want to keep from being banned, they haven't. We don't put up with that kind of derogatory crap here. Just remember that if you would like to keep posting here

now, on to the actual question that was asked

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaLkAwaY View Post
I don't understand.

What is the appeal?

Why do bronies like it?

What is it about it that attracts them to it?

Although it might sound like I am wanting them to justify it to me I do not I simply want to understand what the appeal is for grown men to like and want to play with something that is targeted at ages 3+.
Let me ask a couple counter-questions:

Would you think a woman who likes transformers or gi joe is a lesbian and/or pedophile or otherwise defective or strange? No, you'd probably think she was pretty awesome. (Not saying that's what you think, but it's the two most common assumptions/accusations when people learn a grown man likes a show for little girls)

So what makes the reverse so strange?

I've always liked cartoons, never outgrew them. So the fact it's a cartoon doesn't matter to me. The fact it's a children's show doesn't matter either since most cartoons are. As long as it;s well written, I'll watch it. I still watch Animaniacs on DVD, Freakazoid, even the original Transformers cartoon, which was anything but well written.

The current run of MLP is actually fairly well written and though obviously not an adult-oriented primetime cartoon show like family guy, it;s still not strictly for children. The show was written so that parents could watch it with their children without wanting to kill themselves.

The fact that it would appeal to other adults who don't have children shouldn't be too surprising. It was made for people of all ages to enjoy


As to why I enjoy it...well, it's quite funny in places, there's some hidden references to things children wouldn't get (the entire cast of The Big Lebowski was featured in the background of a scene that took place in a bowling alley, for example...even The Jesus), but mainly for me...it;s just something positive.

The world is dark and scary, politics are a nightmare of gridlock and spite for the opposition, rne news is full of shootings and drugs and day to day horrir, 90% of the shows I watch are dark or twisted in some manner, I play the grimdarkest wargame ever to exist...why would I not welcome one little half hour of sunshine and positivity once a week? It gives me a warm, snuggly little slice of time where I can just be happy and relax.

What's wrong with that?

ALso, there's something to be said about the sheer level of trollish satisfaction that comes from knowing that merely by enjoying the most innofensive thing in the world, i'm actively offending some small-minded internet cunt. Seriously, the thought that a grownup likes a cartoon that they don't personally like actually pisses people off. It's wried, but I enjoy the fact that me ejoying something about love and tolerance pisses someone else off for no reason whatsoever. It causes people to make fools of themselves, practically falling over themselves for the chance to show what an asshole they are by hating on something cute and harmless because someone else dares to like it.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!



Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior




Last edited by Galahad; 05-19-13 at 11:35 PM.
Galahad is offline  
post #68 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-19-13, 11:40 PM
Grr! That is all.
WaLkAwaY's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 595
Reputation: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
For me it's like a nostalgia hit. It reminds me somewhat of the simple children's cartoons I would watch as a child. Happier times. Naturally, I could just watch cartoons from my own time but this provides the same feel and is something new.

I also watch several other children's cartoons as do other bronies I understand, so it may not necessarily be the one show that draws this kind of audience.
Does it also have something to do with the animation? I know people follow animators around watching their work.

I am not a huge manga or japanese cartoon fan but I really like the Appleseed movies.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Would you think a woman who likes transformers or gi joe is a lesbian and/or pedophile or otherwise defective or strange? No, you'd probably think she was pretty awesome. (Not saying that's what you think, but it's the two most common assumptions/accusations when people learn a grown man likes a show for little girls)

So what makes the reverse so strange?
That was not my intent. Nor was I looking to offend any of you. I just wanted a picture painted for my own knowledge. Everyone finds different avenues for their escapism. And I quite like G.I. Joe and Transformers. I actually like a lot of things that are really violent, movies, sparring, books, etc... I have a tendency toward violence myself in my training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
I've always liked cartoons, never outgrew them. So the fact it's a cartoon doesn't matter to me. The fact it's a children's show doesn't matter either since most cartoons are. As long as it;s well written, I'll watch it. I still watch Animaniacs on DVD, Freakazoid, even the original Transformers cartoon, which was anything but well written.

The current run of MLP is actually fairly well written and though obviously not an adult-oriented primetime cartoon show like family guy, it;s still not strictly for children. The show was written so that parents could watch it with their children without wanting to kill themselves.

The fact that it would appeal to other adults who don't have children shouldn't be too surprising. It was made for people of all ages to enjoy


As to why I enjoy it...well, it's quite funny in places, there's some hidden references to things children wouldn't get (the entire cast of The Big Lebowski was featured in the background of a scene that took place in a bowling alley, for example...even The Jesus), but mainly for me...it;s just something positive.

The world is dark and scary, politics are a nightmare of gridlock and spite for the opposition, rne news is full of shootings and drugs and day to day horrir, 90% of the shows I watch are dark or twisted in some manner, I play the grimdarkest wargame ever to exist...why would I not welcome one little half hour of sunshine and positivity once a week? It gives me a warm, snuggly little slice of time where I can just be happy and relax.

What's wrong with that?
Nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
ALso, there's something to be said about the sheer level of trollish satisfaction that comes from knowing that merely by enjoying the most innofensive thing in the world, i'm actively offending some small-minded internet cunt. Seriously, the thought that a grownup likes a cartoon that they don't personally like actually pisses people off. It's wried, but I enjoy the fact that me ejoying something about love and tolerance pisses someone else off for no reason whatsoever. It causes people to make fools of themselves, practically falling over themselves for the chance to show what an asshole they are by hating on something cute and harmless because someone else dares to like it.
Haha, well I guess we all have to get our little pleasures as we can.


“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.” – Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

War does not care about convenience or inclement weather. Neither should your training. ~Me (Okay really my brother and I felt bad for stealing it)





Last edited by WaLkAwaY; 05-19-13 at 11:55 PM.
WaLkAwaY is offline  
post #69 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-19-13, 11:48 PM
Senior Member
 
emporershand89's Avatar
emporershand89's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!
Posts: 2,270
Reputation: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
The fact it's a children's show doesn't matter either since most cartoons are
So Galahad let me get this strait so I make sure I'm understand. Your justifying grouping shows such as Naruto, Gundam, Ben 10, Yu-Gi-Oh, and other such shows targeting teens with TV series like My Little Pony, Barney, Dora the Explorer, Rolly Polly Olly, and other such childish cartoons?

I must respectfully disagree sir, they are nothing alike. My Little Pony is for young girls below 12 in my honest opinion. The fact that grown men, and women, continue to like the show is beyond me but one thing is clear. This show cannot be grouped with the more action based shows, and anime/manga series that have aired on Adult Swim, Boomerang, and other such channels. They are completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaLkAwaY View Post
Although it might sound like I am wanting them to justify it to me I do not I simply want to understand what the appeal is for grown men to like and want to play with something that is targeted at ages 3+.
Amen, good sir let me +1 you there for a great quote.



"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
emporershand89 is offline  
post #70 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-19-13, 11:58 PM
Executive Nitpicker
 
Galahad's Avatar
Galahad's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 8,276
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
So Galahad let me get this strait so I make sure I'm understand. Your justifying grouping shows such as Naruto, Gundam, Ben 10, Yu-Gi-Oh, and other such shows targeting teens with TV series like My Little Pony, Barney, Dora the Explorer, Rolly Polly Olly, and other such childish cartoons?

I must respectfully disagree sir, they are nothing alike. My Little Pony is for young girls below 12 in my honest opinion. The fact that grown men, and women, continue to like the show is beyond me but one thing is clear. This show cannot be grouped with the more action based shows, and anime/manga series that have aired on Adult Swim, Boomerang, and other such channels. They are completely different.

Actually, I think you;re profoundly misinformed as to the target demographic.
It's not a toddler/preschooler show. I'm not sure what you imagine it being, but it's not a mindless 'pretty colors and silly voices to amuse infants' program.

It's aimed at young girls and teens just like Ben10 is aimed at young boys and teens.
In fact, it's aimed at the same age range as Transformers. It CAN be watched by younger children because the general lack of violence, but it's *aimed* at the sisters of the boys watching GI Joe and Transformers saturday morning. It features fully developed stories and plots, complex themes about friendship and how to deal with people or situations, etc, references past episodes and features multi-part story arcs. Storywise it's on par with most other TV shows aimed at the kids and teens bracket. They may not be stories you care for, but it doesn't make them less valid or mature.

It just has less punching.
Seriously, you putting MLP in with barney and teletubbies and the like is as silly to me as me putting it in with gundam and ben 10.

Why do you think it's a show for infants? Have you ever even seen it? I'm not saying you;re not allowed to dislike something without having watched every episode...but you should at least see enough to have a vague idea of what you're talking about if you're going to categorize it with such authority.

Seriously, baffled here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaLkAwaY View Post
Does it also have something to do with the animation? I know people follow animators around watching their work.

I am not a huge manga or japanese cartoon fan but I really like the Appleseed movies.
The animation is a plus. It's generally good quality and has an endearing charm to it. I actually didn't like the art style at first, but its simple forms and bold lines grew on me, and it is pretty damned cute.

I don't think anyone came into it following the animators though.
However, a lot of people DID come to it because of its creator and former head writer, Lauren Faust. She was a writer for shows like Foster's home for Imaginary Friends and Powerpuff Girls (I think she's actually married to the creater of PPG)

I don't know about you, but I loved the powerpuff girls back in the day. It looked like a cutesie girly cartoon, but it featured a lot of very messed up funny stuff.

Quote:
That was not my intent. Nor was I looking to offend any of you. I just wanted a picture painted for my own knowledge.
Fair enough, and for the record I didn't think you were. but i know that;s what some other people were thinking (as evidenced by CJay's lovely little homophobic gem) so I figured I'd pose the question.

Quote:
Everyone finds different avenues for their escapism. And I quite like G.I. Joe and Transformers. I actually like a lot of things that are really violent, movies, sparring, books, etc... I have a tendency toward violence myself in my training.
Likewise. I'm loving Transformers Prime right now, and most of the other shows and comics I enjoy are pretty violent (walking dead, anyone?) MLP is probably the one actively nonviolent thing I really enjoy...partially because it's intelligently written and genuinely enjoyable WITHOUT having to be violent. I can watch it and relax without feeling like my brain is going to melt. It's the one cute sweet happy thing in my viewing history. Helps keep me centered and cheers me up when I need it.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!



Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior




Last edited by Galahad; 05-20-13 at 12:22 AM.
Galahad is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome