Space Marines For The Greater Good!? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Expansions Newly expanded to include Planetstrike and Cities of Death discussion in addition to Apocalypse!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-08, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Siege's Flag is: Australia

Default Space Marines For The Greater Good!?

So I was considering my options for Apocalypse games and I was wondering if I could ally my Tau with some Space Marines. I know technically anything goes but I generally like to keep it kinda fluffy.

Is it that big of a stretch to imagine renegade Marines who have lost all faith in the Imperium, fighting for the Tau cause rather than turning to the evils of Chaos?

Me and my gaming buddies share our books between us so I don't have the Apoc rulebook handy to have a look at the allies thing, but what do you guys think about such an alliance?

Please help Keak reach his full potential.

Last edited by Siege; 02-26-08 at 05:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-08, 07:32 PM

thomas2's Flag is: Great Britain

As a temporary alliance between Space Marines and Tau, that is very fluffy, as Imperials will often consider Tau the lesser of 2/3/4/5 evils, and will fight with them most often of xenos as they are the only ones to openly and fully negotiate, but regarding renegade Space Marines turning to Tau this is less likely, but not at all impossible. The main opposition to this is most of the Imperium endures massive anti-alien propaganda,but not all, and perhaps a chapter declared traitors may see joining the Tau the best way to survive without worshipping Chaos, once again lesser of two evils.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-08, 10:13 PM

Well...if marines will betray the imperium for psychotic demons, y not the tau?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-08, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeBluedragon View Post
Well...if marines will betray the imperium for psychotic demons, y not the tau?
psychotic demons are cool; plus they give you a choice of either sex, physical strength, magic/knowledge, and disease. the tau make you a combination of a hippie and a communist. The first is something a marine would never be. Plus, most marines turn to chaos to become more powerful and break away from the control of the imperium. the ethereals are just as controlling as the imperium and don't really give you that much power (i'd prefer a daemon sword and ancient magical powers over a pulse rifle and some fancy technology any day). Also, the Tau empire is very small compared to the imperium, while chaos has unlimited hordes of demons and has massive influence. Even a marine's propoganda filled head can do the math when comparing the size of the imperium's armies to the limitless hordes of demons, mutants, heretics, and marines that chaos has.

I don't think renegade marines would join the tau because marines almost always lose faith in the imperium because of an outside influence, like the VERY powerful and persuasive powers of chaos (the tau are not nearly that persuasive). If they lose faith in the imperium for another reason it's usually because they lose faith in the ecclesiarchy, not the emperor. Therefore, they become rogue and have no allies. If they lose faith in the emperor and there is no outside influence, they no longer hate chaos and therefore have no problem with joining chaos.

In short, nearly everything that would make a large number of marines turn to chaos is something the tau don't have. If you guys think I'm wrong, be my guest and make a tau-allied marine force.

Sig made by Tau Chaotix
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-08, 04:44 PM

Silb makes a very good point and is totally right I just don't think Tau have that much influence on the space marines or the 40k universe. Plus the Dark Angels would never do that fluff wise as I assume you were going to ally your two armys?

Last edited by angels of fire; 02-28-08 at 04:49 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-08, 11:25 PM

Elchimpster's Flag is: USA

You know, when IG become auxila of the Tau Empire (Gue'la), they become able to be hit on a 4+.

I reckon if SM became Super Gue'La...they would be hittable on a 4+ too.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-29-08, 06:57 PM

thomas2's Flag is: Great Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchimpster View Post
You know, when IG become auxila of the Tau Empire (Gue'la), they become able to be hit on a 4+.

I reckon if SM became Super Gue'La...they would be hittable on a 4+ too.
Its Imperial troops hit them on 3+, just so you know.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-29-08, 10:47 PM

Elchimpster's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas2 View Post
Its Imperial troops hit them on 3+, just so you know.
You're right.
So I figure if Astartes turned "To The Greater Good" they should be able to be hit by imperials on a 3+ too.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-08, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Siege's Flag is: Australia

Nah I wouldn't use my Dark Angels, I know that would never work as far as fluff goes.

Please help Keak reach his full potential.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-08, 12:20 AM

that is perfect

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k > 40k Expansions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode