'Ard Boyz Smei-Finals After-Action Report: Orks 2500, Pet Shop Comics, Louisville, KY - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Battle Reports Brag about your latest crushing victory here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-09, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Culler's Flag is: USA

Default 'Ard Boyz Smei-Finals After-Action Report: Orks 2500, Pet Shop Comics, Louisville, KY

As some of you may be aware, I played in the 'Ard Boyz preliminaries and was wildly successful and moved onto the semis. The battle report for my preliminary battles is here. I think people will find what competitive gaming is like in modern 40k very interesting, what with 'ard boyz being the quintessential competitive event with no painting or sportsmanship required and each round consisting of the winners from previous rounds. So every battle in this report is against one of the top armies that played in the preliminaries.

For those of you who are unaware of the 'Ard Boyz format, it's 2500 point armies in a standard FOC. Each heat of the tournament consists of 3 scenarios. Each scenario is a mix of game types which determine margin of victory, typically winning the main objective gets you a major victory, and winning the lesser objective if no one wins the main objective gets you a minor victory. Winning both nets you a massacre. For a complete breakdown here are the rules (scoring is the last page.) There are also up to 4 bonus points you can earn each round that change from scenario to scenario, but are generally things like having all your HQs alive, or more troops than your opponent at the end, or controlling all objectives, etc.
You use the same list every round of a single heat, but can change lists or armies between heats.
Here is the full scenario descriptions

My army list:
Warboss with PK, cybork, attack squig, and warbike
Mad Dok Grotsnik
14 Lootas
14 Lootas
29 Slugga boyz and a power klaw nob all with cybork bodies
29 Shootas with 3 big shootas and a power klaw nob with bosspole
29 Shootas with 3 big shootas and a power klaw nob with bosspole
19 Shootas with 2 big shootas and a power klaw nob with bosspole
10 Nob bikers with cybork bodies, painboy and orderly, 2 power klaws, bosspole, Waaagh! banner, and 2 big choppas
3 Killa Kans with Rokkit Launchas

It's huge and unwieldy but gets the job done.

Round 1:
Scenario 1 was an annihilation missions with troops counting as 3 KPs, HQs and dedicated transports as 1, and everything else as 2. My first opponent was a very nice Ulthwe mechanized list. Deployment was 12" on long table edges. There was no secondary objective this game.

Opponent 1: (I don't have his exact list with me, so from memory)
Eldrad
Jain Zar
10 Howling Banshees, Wave Serpent with starcannons, shuriken cannon, and spirit stones
10 Dire Avengers, Exarch with twin catapults and bladestorm, Wave Serpent with starcannons, shuriken cannon, and spirit stones
10 Dire Avengers, Exarch with twin catapults and bladestorm, Wave Serpent with starcannons, shuriken cannon, and spirit stones
6 Warp Spiders, Exarch with powerblades, twin deathspinners, and withdraw
6 Warp Spiders, Exarch with powerblades, twin deathspinners, and withdraw
Fire Prism with shuriken cannon, spirit stones, and holofields

I went first, with my set-up taking forever as usual as I put 153 models on the table with good spacing and some formation work. Then he plops down his 7 tanks in less than a minute...grr. I'm so tired of unpacking and repacking my 2500 point horde army, but it's all I have the models for at 2500 points. The table was basically little bits of terrain with one giant piece in the middle that was basically impassable. I deployed my 30-man shoota mob and my 20-man shoota mob on the left, my slugga mob with grotsnik joined in the middle, ready to squeeze whichever way should he try denied flank, my kans just to the right of them, the bikers with warboss joined to the right of that, and then my other shoota mob on the right. The lootas were behind and to the right and left of the slugga mob in the middle. It should be noted that I deployed my 20-man mob in a line behind the first rank of my slugga boyz and the left 30-man shoota mob, to provide 4+ cover for all my boyz on that flank. Cheesy, but this is 'ard boyz.
He deployed his fire prisms with one in each corner and one in the middle. On my right he had his serpent with banshees + Jain Zar and 1 avenger serpent. On my left was 2 avenger serpents with Eldrad riding in one.

I know how to deal with a mobile army with my horde, and that is to swamp the board, leaving him no place to go. I was amused when my opponent remarked during my first movement phase that I would be running the entire game.
Turn 1 as usual for me was pretty much all movement, with my bikers just moving up to see what he was going to do with his banshees and getting into charge range next turn. The lootas managed to immobilize the banshees' transport and knock off its starcannon and inflicted some minor damage to a dire avenger wave serpent, again I believe destroying the starcannon and shaking it. The kans shook another serpent.
His Turn 1 he moved up his avengers on the left and got out and doomed and guided and bladestormed and put a fire prism dispersed shot into my 30-man shoota mob and a bladestorm into my sluggas. Grand total he took out about 11 shootas from the 30-man mob, 3 from the 20-man, and 4 from the slugga mob. I think he expected a lot more to happen, but when I'm rocking 4+ cover from interlocking squads it takes a whole lot more to kill even a regular 30-man mob, much less one with feel no pain. On the right he linked his fire prisms to shoot a nob biker, who passed his cover save. He had no need to jack up the strength to 10 to instant kill them, but I wasn't about to correct him. He bladestormed them as well I think, to no avail (though the third avenger squad may have bladestormed the sluggas as well, I don't recall. Casualties were almost nonexistent in any case.)
My turn 2 all the boyz moved up and continued to do their thing. The lootas dropped continued to blow guns off wave serpents and keep them from shooting as did the kans, and 1 loota squad killed most of the avengers with eldrad and I declared my WAAAAGH! The nobs accepted the fact that they'd almost certainly get charged by banshees and assaulted a wave serpent, killing it. The sluggas managed to run fast enough to get into CC with one dire avenger squad, and the left shootas needed to get a 2 or higher on their running die to catch eldrad's avengers and rolled a freakin 1, which cost me the victory. I should have just shot but I wanted Eldrad's KP too, and figured a 2+ was reasonable ( I knew the distance from his measuring shooting). Frack. Didn't matter in the end, but annoying nonetheless. The slugga boyz whooped the avengers and sent them packing, never to regroup. 4 KP for me so far, 0 for him.
His turn 2 he packed eldrad and his avengers into a transport, never to come out again, and I couldn't for the life of me bust it. His otehr avengers likewise packed themselves away. He disembarked his banshees, fleeted, and made it into cc with my nobs. One of his warp spider squads deep struck and took out a loota squad (I of course failed their morale check.) Everything else shot that could and made small casualties, including a single biker nob. My ability to fail leadership checks is second to none and the nobs check for the banshee masks was no exception, but the nob with the bosspole smacked them out of their reverie and they got to fightin just fine (but not before double checking that the banshee mask was a morale check.) 5 girls and Jain Zar went after my toughness 6 warboss and between all of them managed a single wound, which was saved by cybork body. The rest went after the nobs, and managed to get a single wound to stick. The nobs and the warboss then went after the banshees and turned all of them to paste, leaving only the fearless jain zar, who passed her many no retreat saves. 6 KP to me, 2 to him.
My turn 3 (final turn due to time limit of 2.5 hrs) the boyz on the left rampaged around, killing a serpent but not the one I wanted dead with its delicious cargo of 4 KP. The boyz on the right came back and shot the warp spiders off the table. The nobs and warboss finished off jain zar after she managed to wound the warboss again and I again passed his invulnerable save. 9 KP to me, 2 to him.
His turn 3 his other warp spiders came in and shot up the rear armor of my kans and along with the fire prisms managed to take the squad down.
Final: 9 KP to me, 4 to him. You need to win by 6 KP for a minor victory, and so we got a tie, despite me whooping him up and down. If I had managed to get Eldrad and his avengers on anything but a 1, it would have been a major victory. I picked up a couple bonus points and it was on to the next round. Nice guy though, would play him again.

Round 2:
Round 2 was a random objective mission with night fighting for the whole game. 6 markers, and 1 of them randomly becomes an objective on turn 2, 4, and 6. Since my games only go to turn 3, that means that 1 of 6 markers will be an objective, and the game outcome could essentially be random. Secondary objective is kill points, with each unit counting as 1 KP.

Opponent 2: Deathwing (again from memory)
Belial
Dreadnought with plasma cannon and heavy flamer
5 terminators, 2 with 2x lightning claws, apothecary, +1 attack banner, power sword, thunder hammer, heavy flamer
5 terminators, 1 with power sword, 1 with 2x lightning claws, cyclone missile launcher
5 terminators, 1 with power sword, 1 with 2x lightning claws, heavy flamer
5 terminators with 4 power fists and 1 power sword and 4 storm bolters and 1 assault cannon
5 terminators with 4 power fists and 1 power sword and 4 storm bolters and 1 assault cannon
Land raider
Land raider crusader
Land raider crusader

Well, I know Orks suck mightily versus land raider assault troops. I knew also that I had little chance of killing any of those land raiders in 3 turns, and they would be able to contest any objective they wanted. My prognosis was grim, but I also knew that I could swamp him with bodies and regular attacks and make him fail those 2+ saves.
Objectives were set up evenly on each side of the board about 14" from the edge with 2 in the zone I chose basically being off to the left slightly on the other far off to the right. His were 2 in the middle-ish and 1 towards the right. Deployment was dawn of war.
I went first and put my sluggas with grotsnik out in the middle to try to take/contest those objectives in his area and a 30-man shoota mob on the right to try to contest his objective there. He deployed nothing.
My first turn I boosted my biker nobs onto the right and walked a 20-man shoota mob there to hold that objective. The rest of my army walked onto the left side to jump all over those 2 objectives should they prove to be scoring, and the power klaws on my kans should do for land raiders coming that way.
His turn 1 he brought his army in pretty much all on the right, except for the 3 identical squads which were deep striking (2 of which got to come in due to the deep strike assault rule or somesuch deathwing gets, these came in on the right as well). So if the objective turned out to be one of the 2 in the left of my deployment, victory was mine. He shot a bunch of sluggas as well, killing 7 or so. Unfortunately, I hadn't counted on how far his transports let him assault, so my shoota mob on the right got charged by belial and the squad with the banner and lost most of the squad after no retreat! casualties, but at least the nob instant killed belial and the boyz got a double lightning claw terminator, earning most of their points back even in a blunder.
My turn 2 we rolled and the objective in the left of my deployment zone became an objective. He's got a land raider and his best squad already rolling towards it, so crap. If it was the leftmost objective of his zone or the 2 left objectives of my zone it would be an easy massacre, but no, it's gotta be one of the 3 he can get to. The Nobs shot up the terminators that deepstruck on the right, and the sluggas shot the ones that deepstruck more center-right. The sluggas killed 1 and the nobs killed 2. Each then charged and wiped out the squads that they shot at and my shootas that were locked in combat killed off another terminator with the power klaw and then ran away.
His turn 2 he shot up the sluggas some more with both land raiders and the dreadnought once again and killed off some more, then charged them with the dreadnought who did nothing and got powerklawed to death by the nob. He flamed and charged the broken shoota boyz and finished them off because I failed their morale, as usual, even with a reroll from the bosspole.
My turn 3 the nobs shot the squad that was almost on the objective, as did the 20-man shoota mob that was on it, and got no kills, not even one that the apothecary ignored allowed them to ignore. Both mobs then charged and wiped them out with 1 wound lost on the nobs. All well and good but I had to ignore the land raider to do so, hoping that it would be out of range.
His turn 3 he nudged the land raider slightly before moving it, and tank shocked through my nobs towards the objective. My warboss tried to death or glory but rolled a 3 on the damage table, so close to being awesome. He finished off the sluggas with a combinations of fire from 2 land raiders, the 2 terminator squads within, the third deeptriking terminator squad, and then charging them. Good on them if that's what it takes to finish them off.
We measure from the objective and the edge of his land raider is about a tenth of an inch within 3" of the objective, contesting it and turning what would have been a massacre into a minor victory. Again so close that it was nearly heartbreaking. I measured out the theoretical distance that his land raider could have moved with 2 12" moves and a 6" move, and it was theoretically within, even if he didn't move the full 6" in actuality. It is always better to give your opponent the benefit of the doubt, even in competitive circumstances. Chapped my ass something fierce though, especially after the first round. He was a nice guy though and we had been chatting at lunch, so I just went with it. It's subjective things like this that make 40k not the best for clear competitive environments (and determining terrain etc.)
Minor victory with a bonus point combined with a tie earlier means my score is a little subpar, but I found myself playing on table 3 in the final game, so if the top 2 games were both major victories or massacres and I got a major victory or massacre, then I had a chance of taking 3rd (as had happened in the prelims when I massacred the guy in 2nd so badly that he fell to 4th.)

Round 3:
Scenario 3 I had been looking forward to for some time. The main goal was a single objective in the center of the table, and the secondary was control of table quarters. Deployment was table quarters. I believe that with my very resilient army that liked close combat I could push the central objective easily over 3 turns, swamping it like a green tide with my super sluggas as the hard front edge of that wave and the nobs punching hard on a flank or even central if need be.

Opponent 3: (this one I actually have a copy of)
Commissar Yarrick
CCS with 3 meltaguns, astropath, officer of the fleet, and chimera with multilaser and hull heavy flamer
5 Ogryns and chimera with hull heavy flamer
5 stormtroopers with 2 meltaguns
5 stormtroopers with 2 meltaguns
Veteran squad with 3x meltaguns and chimera with multilaser and hull heavy flamer
Veteran squad with 3x meltaguns and chimera with multilaser and hull heavy flamer
3 sentinels with autocannons
hellhound with hull multi-melta
hellhound with hull multi-melta
leman russ demolisher with hull heavy flamer
2 leman russ battle tanks with hull lascannons
2 hydra flank tanks
He was playing a tank-heavy guard list, just like my opponent from the preliminaries. I eat these armies for breakfast with my list. I was a bit worried about him pushing tanks onto the central objective to contest though, so I needed to swamp but good. Sure he's got lots of flamers and melta, but these things don't worry me overmuch. 5+ invlunerable and feel no pain means most of that just washes over my spearhead slugga squad.

The battlefield was pretty bad for table quarters, with a large hill in the middle and slightly on the left with a landing pad on top of it (leman russ turrets could see over the hill and under the landing pad, which had space underneath that chimeras could drive under.) I put him back in a corner which had a bunch of pieces of difficult terrain in it to mess with his tanks and my corner had a decent ruin back a little ways to put some lootas in.

I deployed everything in a massive mostly interlocked mob with the kans and grotsnik and the slugga nob near his long edge and the rest of the sluggas behind and spread towards my edge. One 30-man squad (hereafter referred to as brown squad due to their bases being colored as such to tell them apart) was kind of central in the mass, the other 30-man shootas (black squad) was towards my table edge with the goal of taking the other table quarters and providing some long range support with their big shootas, and the 20-man shoota mob (grey squad) was at the rear of the mass with the goal of simply moving up towards the objective and contesting. The nobs were deployed almost along my table edge with the goal of swinging around and striking into the heart of his tanks and swinging back towards the objective if need be. The lootas were in the ruins and on the ground behind the mass.
He deployed a couple chimeras forward and his russes towards his table edge with the hydras on the hill. 1 chimera was hanging out behind that. The hellhounds and the other 3 chimeras were kept in reserve to come in on his long edge. He deployed the sentinels on the hill towards my long edge.

My turn 1 I surged forward, running basically everything but the lootas and boosting the nobs around the hill. The lootas took out a hydra and shook the other and messed up a chimera. Black squad shot at the sentinels to no avail with their big shootas.
His turn 1 he moved his russes around on his table edge to start plugging away at Orks. His chimeras moved up and popped smoke and his shooting resulted in minor casualties, focusing mostly on the incredibly resilient sluggas.
My turn 2 the tide again surged forward. The lootas destroyed the Yarrick/Ogryn chimera and shook/destroyed weapons on another. The nobs charged the sentinels, wiping them out with no casualties. Brown squad shot and charged Yarrick's Ogryns, and the sluggas charged the Ogryns, the other forward chimera, and the demolisher. The Ogryns were completely wiped out except for one, inflicting minor casulaties back, the chimera was wrecked and the squad inside got out, and the demolisher had its main gun destroyed and was immobilized and shaken.
His turn 2 he brought on a chimera and a hellhound. The hellhound burned a loota squad and I, of course, failed their morale and they ran, never to regroup. The chimera was unable to burn the sluggas because some of them were locked in combat with the Ogryns about 18" away. His stormtroopers also deep struck in behind and to the side of my kans, shooting their meltas at them and failing, hard. 2 in one squad missed and the 2 in the other squad both rolled 2s to penetrate side armor 11 (they were outside of 6") and so failed to penetrate. Then his russes tried to kill some kans but scattered onto one of the stormtrooper squads, vaporizing them! The other shot scattered wild as well, and the Orks it hits pass their cover saves. Finally someone I play this heat rolls some misses on scatter. The lascannons claim a kan and the klaw on another. In the assault phase I finished off the last Ogryn and Yarrick.
My turn 3 the nobs go after a chimera and wreck it with shooting and then charge the squad that was trying to sneak under the landing pad to get to the objective. The lootas disable the hellhound that killed the other lootas. Brown squad charges the squad that came out of the other forward chimera, the sluggas charge the russes and the chimera that came from reserves, and the kans charge the same chimera that came from reserves. The russes are both wrecked, the veterans from the other chimera are wiped out, and the chimera from reserves is destroyed. Grey squad charges and destroys the last stormtrooper squad.
His turn 3 is pretty bleak, there's really nothing he can do. All of his stuff comes on the board and he uses it to try to flame as many sluggas as he can, which is pitifully few. Massacre for me!

The 2 matches of people who points were above mine both end up as massacres, and I secure 3rd place behind 2 guys who each got 3 massacres and who both were playing Orks, incidentally. I was pretty freaking ecstatic. This is my first tabletop tournament, and to have come so far is very thrilling. There are 93 people in the entire world with an invite to the finals of the tournament that is explicitly purely gaming, and I'm one of them. I don't expect to win, but I'll definitely be going.

I'm strongly thinking about changing my list though to something a little slimmer and faster. Like running 2 nob biker squads or battlewagons with meganobz and ghazghkull.

Anyone, toss me some rep if you enjoyed it, it's off to the finals!

Last edited by Culler; 08-10-09 at 06:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-09, 12:03 AM

WOW very nice report, I really enjoyed reading it. Congrats on the solid 3rd place, that's nothing to be ashamed of.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-09, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoredGhost View Post
WOW very nice report, I really enjoyed reading it. Congrats on the solid 3rd place, that's nothing to be ashamed of.
Thanks! I'm proud, as even third place is a major achievement in this cut-throat environment.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-09, 07:25 AM

GJ... I have argued for a while that orks are one of the strongest 'dexes... the 3 winners being orks proves it. Regardless, well played.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-09, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniclurker View Post
GJ... I have argued for a while that orks are one of the strongest 'dexes... the 3 winners being orks proves it. Regardless, well played.
Yeah, I've been looking around at other 'ard boyz results and Orks generally have a decent showing, being in the top 3 about as often as double-lash chaos.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-09, 09:10 PM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

Well done and good to see you off to the finals. THe battlewagon might be the way to go since I think your list with one biker nob unit and a bunch of foot troops really makes it hard for your opponents to concentrate any real fire power on any portion of your army. Good luck in the finals.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-09, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

I think I would do better if my games went longer, so cutting down on my model count to speed play along seems like a very good thing.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-09, 11:42 PM

True but watch out, one of your strengths is your numbers...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-09, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

I'm thrilled that so many have enjoyed reading this, thanks for the feedback! (There were several PMs as well)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics > 40k Battle Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode