[2000] Tyranids vs Space Marines (Iron Knights) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Battle Reports Brag about your latest crushing victory here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-12, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

MidnightKid333's Flag is: Canada

Default [2000] Tyranids vs Space Marines (Iron Knights)

Epic battle music to set the mood:

Here we have a 2000 point Tournament! Hooray!

Deployment Type: Pitched Battle
Game Type: Capture and Control
Side-quest: Marked Man (a model is chosen to be the marked unit. The objective is to kill this model). Mine was my painted Tyrannofex. His was Sicarius

Tyranid List:

Quote:
Tervigon
Cluster Spines
crushing claws
Toxin sacs
Adrenal glands

doom in a can
Cluster spines

venomthrope

20 termagaunts
devourers
mycetic spore
Cluster spines

20 termagaunts
devourers
mycetic spore
Cluster spines

20 termagaunts
devourers
mycetic spore
Cluster spines

Tyrannofex
Rupture Cannon
Cluster spines
Dessicator Larvae
Adrenal Glands

Tyrannofex
Rupture Cannon
Cluster spines
Electroshock grubs
Adrenal Glands

Tyrannofex
Rupture Cannon
Cluster spines
shreddershard beetles
Adrenal Glands
Iron Knights List:

Quote:
Pedro Cantor

Cato sicarius

5 Scouts
Combat Blades
Melta Bombs (LOL)

Tactical Squad
plasma Gun
Missile Launcher
melta bombs
-Razorback
-Extra Armour

Tactical Squad
plasma Gun
Missile Launcher
melta bombs
-Rhino
-Extra Armour

10 Sternguard
5 Combi melta guns
5 combi plasma guns
(with Kantor and Sicarius)
Drop pod

Predator
lascannon sponsons
Extra armor

Land speeder
multi melta
assault cannon

dreadnaught
heavy flamer
Twin-linked Heavy Flamer
Extra armor
Drop Pod with deathwind missile launcher

Assault squad
Storm shield (not sure how many people had these) can it only be one?
power fist

Whirlwind
Terrain set-up... sorry, my opponents codex is covering up a hill. You will see plenty of pictures of it though, S0 DON'T PANIC!!!!!

North is towards his board edge. East is towards the right side of the table, west is towards the other board edge, south is towards my board edge.

His Deployment:

Left-side:

Right-side:
Predator on the hill, razorback and land speeder behind the large fortified platform. I forgot about the razorback for awhile due to the fact that they were out of sight. Not sure where the rhino was...

I go first. I shoot his whirlwind and predator with the rupture cannons but I fail to Damage them. I end up casting Catalyst on my painted Tyrannofex. I do not spawn any gaunts because I do not have any other gaunt models. All 60 are in the mycetic spores!

He then proceeds to initiate Drop Pod Assault and this happens!:

This drop pod contains the combat squadded sternguard and Sicarius with Kantor.

At this point, he was taking his time with calculating everything, making sure everything was perfect. Lots of precautions. Quite a long turn in my opinion.

He Shot his lascannons at my tyrannofex but the Venomthropes spore cloud saves it. My armored shell makes a joke out of the autocannon. The whirlwind fires on the tyrannofex and knicks the venomthrope; shrapnel ripping off one of his tentacles (he takes a wound). The Assault squad moves south. the scout squad holding the objective remains static.

His sternguard plasma guns shoot my painted (marked man) Tyrannofex, but only scratch off a wound thanks to the venomthrope. The Melta guns try to melt my tervigon, but he also only loses a single wound, thanks to some shabby hitting, and, of course, thanks to the venomthrope.

He was expecting to kill one big bug in that scenario. I believe I saved 2 out of 3 wounds on the tyrqannofex with the spore cloud, so he would have been at 3 wounds. About 1 of 2 were saved for the tervigon.

I tried messing with his head by telling him the venomthrope was useless, harmless and a mere distraction unit at turn 1 before he started shooting. Now he wants it dead by all means necessary, since its purpose has been recognized to him.

The mighty tyrannofex laughs at the stormbolter from the drop pod! hahaha!

The land speeder turbo boosts over the hexagonal platform and lands south-southwest of it.

The Razorback sneaks forwards 12".

My Turn... Top of 2.

I cast Catalyst on the venomthrope.

I roll for reserves and all the shock gaunts come in, as I now call them, since the opponent quickly begins panicking when I unload handful after handful of gaunts on the table in front of his infantry.

No doom today...

Two of them hit their mark directly. One of them scatters east 8".

My Tervigon turns around and prepares to engage Pedro and his combat squad.

The marked painted tyrannofex moves north-northwest to get away from a potential charging from Sicarius and his combat squad.

The other unpainted tyrannofex and converted tyrannofex move east 6" to get a clear view of the predator and the whirlwind. There were trees in the way.

The panited marked tyrannofex fires upon the whirlwind, but fails to damage it.

The unpainted tyrannofex shoots the whirlwind and gets a technical wreckage. We preliminarily agreed that he had cover, but he fails both saves. I destroy the Whirlwind Missile Launcher and immobilize it.

The converted tyrannofex fires at the predator, but nothing happens...

The Mycetic spore fires Cluster spines at the assault squad, but it scatters onto my termagaunts and kills 3 of them. The Ripper tentacles were just barely out of range.

The termagaunts follow up by shooting the assault squad but something goes wrong and I only kill two marines.

The other termagaunt squad targets the scout squad and kills 60% of them. The other two fail morale and run. You can see them in the background.

The tervigon fires cluster spines at pedros unit, but The power armor defeats the above threat.

The final termagaunt squad that scattered 8" east had plans to fire upon catos unit, but I decided to take care of the land speeder. I smother it in glances. I get 8 sizes for glancing and he fails roughly half of them. I end up immobilizing him, causing the fast-moving speeder to crash onto the earth and become a twisted wreckage of metallic grey scrap metal.

The Land speeder used to be roughly 2-3" north of my large blob of red dice and south of the other five dice, further north.

for assault, the tervigon rampages into Pedros combat squad,

shrugs off the reacting hits and mutilates four of them. Kantor and a marine are all that remain..

His Turn... Bottom of 2.

the deathwind drop pod does not show up.

Sicarius branches off from his squad and moves towards the tyrannofex. My act of cowardess was not enough to escape. The Sternguard target my venomthrope.

The Assault squad turns around and prepares to engage the termagaunts.

The elusive transport moves up another 12". I can now see it and think to myself "where the fuck did that thing come from?" Oh well, I'm not worried.

The predator fires upon my converted tyrannofex, causing a wound this time, due to being out of range of the venomthrope.

The assault squad hits my termagaunts with bolt pistol fire, killing roughly 4 of them.

The sternguard fire at my venomthrope with their bolters and cause a wound. I fail my cover save and remove him from the table. My enemy is so thankful for its death, but wait... I roll for Feel no Pain and pass.

Venomthrops is placed back on the table. My opponent is not happy.

Exact words when I removed the venomthrope: "this changes things!"

Exact words when I put the venomthrope back on the table thanks to FnP: "this changes things!"

LOL!

The stormbolter draws a bead on my venomthrope and fires at the ground (missing its shots).

sicarius charges my Tyrannofex...

Sicarius declares coup de grace!

Sicarius hits!

rolls a 3...

-phew-

The assault squad storms my gaunts.

after all casualties have been resolved, I hold tight with four gaunts and kill one assault marine.

My turn... Top of 3.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN? Wait and find out.

Last edited by MidnightKid333; 04-22-12 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 05:07 AM

Scythes's Flag is: USA

Sounds like you're doing pretty well thus far. I like the Marked Man side-quest. Go nids!

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-12, 11:44 AM

How did the gaunts stay there after the assault marine charge? They look out of synapse range from the Tervigon and just got beaten by 7...
Looks a fun game, although it sounds like your opponent hasn't played against 'Nids much and might suffer from some "it does what!??" moments later on. Surprised the Sternguard haven't done more to the MCs with their plasmas/meltas and 2+ wounding bolter shots.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-12, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty80 View Post
How did the gaunts stay there after the assault marine charge? They look out of synapse range from the Tervigon and just got beaten by 7...
I think they actually rolled and failed miserably. Thanks for noticing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty80 View Post
Looks a fun game, although it sounds like your opponent hasn't played against 'Nids much and might suffer from some "it does what!??" moments later on. Surprised the Sternguard haven't done more to the MCs with their plasmas/meltas and 2+ wounding bolter shots.
He basically had plans to demolish my Tyrannofex and tervigon with the plas/melta weapons, but as I said, my venomthrope saved a lot of wounds. the other squad then got charged so they could not shoot. The other sterngaurd squad shot my venomthrope on turn 2 with fancy rounds of some sort, but the Feel no Pain saved it!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-12, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

I forgot to put down some notes on this part of the game, so everything is from memory now. Hopefully I do not miss anything. I need to me more strict with myself taking pics and scribbling down notes in my ipod. I blame the shop. It is somewhat noisy and when you get this far into the game, it starts to exercise your brain and you forget about other things. P:

okay... so, Top of Turn 3... My turn.

The doom of malantai shows up on the east side of the assault squad, The tervigon casts dominion, My venomthrope moves north-northwest for reasons of which I do not know.

the termagaunt squad that killed the scouts
(this one)

moves northwest to engage the assault squad. They move up and claim the objective.

Mid-battle Report
Tyranids: 1
Marines: 0

Both Tyrannofexes on the right flank head directly north, towards the predator.

the batch of termagaunts that killed the speeder head west to join the action. I say screw that razorback!

Top of turn 3 Shooting Phase!:

Both tyrannofexes fire at the predator. I miss all the hits.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUU-

...Q _Q

The Venomthrope makes a 3" run move to get further away! He is running from the sternguard. Heads north-northwest.

The assault squad makes their 3D6 leadership test and pass with a 6. In the future, I will shoot with my devourers first, so their overlooked bonus of the leadership debuff comes into play, because if he had failed that roll, I would have gotten an extra kill from tactical wizardry. If he had failed it, though. He passed the leadership test with flying colours.

The doom decides to cast cataclysm on the assault squad and it hits five models, but I only kill two, due to being strength 4. I roll to see what happens to myself and lose 2 wounds, so I remain at my basic 4 wounds. Could have been worse!

The termagaunts finally unload on the rest of the assault squad and they are wiped out.

Top of turn 3... Assault Phase!:

Sicarius hits my tyrannofex with coup de grace and...

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-12, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

The Tyrannofex is removed from play...

The Tervigon hits Kantor with 5 attacks. I took a wound off Kantor here but I do not remember how many he has left. He strikes back and sadly kills the tervigon with the powerfist.

Bottom of Turn 3... His Turn

The Dreadnaught comes in! Right beside my termagaunt squad holding the objective.

The razorback moves into the ruined colliseum. Sicarius and Pedro enjoy their crushing victory against my monstrous creatures by cracking open a beer and hanging out in the drop pod.

Not much else!

Bottom of turn 3... Shooting Phase!:

The dreadnaught fries my gaunts with 11 models hit by the template. about 8 of them go down. The deathwind missile launcher hits me and another few go down.

The predator fires into my converted tyrannofex (already at 4 wounds I believe) and knocks it down to 2.

The Sternguard sprays my venomthrope and it dies.

At this point, the game had to end, because the second round was beginning in 5 minutes, so we measure the range on the dreadnaught to the objective and it turns out that he is within the 3" mark.

Results in neither side holding an objective, but my enemy succeeded with his secondary objective; Killing my tyrannofex. This results in a minor loss for me.

In hindsight, I wished I had brought the Swarmlord. His army was also kinda lame on first sight, in my opinion. I'm glad I knocked out the whirlwind, though! :D

Was also kinda hoping for spearhead. It makes it easier to hit side armor with the tyrannofexes that way.

Maybe next time I'll bring a more colorful list? Rippers, biovores, tyranid primes, even maybe the harpy!

Here's some other random pics of the other games I was in. I wanted to get enough pics for 3 battle reports, but the other army had almost the exact same list as this guy. He had a whirlwind, Cato and Pedro both in a drop pod with sternguard, but this sternguard squad had some random lightning claws, along with some combi-weapons. Not sure on the faction, maybe you can tell by the pic?

My deployment:

Very quick report:

I had first turn.

The termagaunt squad deepstrikes next to those infiltrating scouts and about half of them died to cluster spines, ripper tentacles and 60 devourer worms. the land speeder was a land speeder storm and had some sniper scouts in it. they kept shooting my tyrannoes but were failing.

The enemy was dead-set on killing my venomthrope. a lot of anti-tank weapons targeted him, but I made my 5+ save twice! I ended up dying from a lascannon, though.

The other termagaunt squad comes in on top of the bridge. I just barely get them all on the bridge. they fire into some random marines and kill about half, then they get blown away by a thunderfire cannon hiding way off in the background. The Tyrannoes shot the vindicator on turn 1, fail to kill it due to the cover saves and then the tyrannoes got messed up by the sternguard on turn 2 as they deepstruck infront of my formation. in all the crap, my terivogn charges them and he ends up dying. I take Instinctive behavior all over the board, the game was a mess! I spawn 10 gaunts sometime in turn 3, the tervigon died at bottom of 3 I think. He still did work in battle, though. The tyrannoes basically fired all their guns into the sternguard and what could charge... charged. I ended up winning the battle there, but the dreadnaught was on my ass. The other 2 tyrannofexes got away and are seen on the bridge, where my termagaunt spore once was.. it died to a lascannon, since I think this game was pitched battle... annihilation? not sure... :/

regardless, the tyrannoes constantly peppered the vindicator with the cannons until it got immobilized and shaken, then one of the tyrannoes got charged by cato and he died from coup de grace, though this battle lasted a lot longer. I think this game made it to, like, turn 6.

The ripper tentacles from the spore were also messing with the vinsicator. I think I eventually took off the demolisher cannon. He already blasted my termagaunt squad that shot up his scouts and I was not about to let that happen again. He hit me on turn 2, but I sonstantly screwed with the vinsicator til the end of the game, so it could not do anymore damage.

I also tossed cluster spines onto the vindicator, hoping for a scatter onto his scouts hiding in the forest.

It ended up scattering and killing 3 scouts. LOL.

Once again, though, the doom did practically nothing. He was the last man standing as well near turn 5/6.

Overall, I cried when the thunderfire cannon obliterated my termagaunts.

More pics for deepstrike positions!:

^Turn 3. I believe

^turn 4 or 5, I believe.

(the tervigon and painted tyrannofex are dead, that is what they are doing there. )

The third game was against grey knights. I lost, no surprise.

This happened.

the opponents job is so ridiculous! he has a massive sunburn on his face, you can see the imprint from where he was wearing sunglasses. I asked him if he just was on a vacation in some tropical location (because how can you get that kind of sunburn in the current Ontario weather? no sun, lots of wind and rain at the moment), he said no, he works 15 hours a day at some kind of labor company. I think he said he just does what is needed and does cold hard labor work. For 15 hours a day. The fuck?

He also told me he gets paid $15/hour. that's pretty awesome for risking skin casncer in my opinion. I asked him what he needs the money for, I know its a bit rude but I was curious. He said he did not need it, he just worked and got money. Not saving up for a car, not saving up for college.Uni, nothing.... I think he was lying. Working approx. 15 hours/day for $15/hour. He wouldn't even have the time to spend his money with that kind of schedule! Weird person. :/

:D

Sooo.. yeah, that was a very quick and dirty report on my other two games! I took the pics and did not want them to go to waste.

Last edited by MidnightKid333; 04-24-12 at 09:47 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-12, 11:28 AM

Dragblud da scrunka's Flag is: United Kingdom

Good report you got there shame about the losses! you have some beastly nids going too! keep these going im interested in seeing how nids perform against other armies and their setups. Maybe a simple map of the deployment may help too.

WAAAAGH Dragblud
W: 22 D: 6 L: 13

Space marines: Krakens Fury! (TBF)
W: 0 D: 0 L: 0
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-12, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragblud da scrunka View Post
Good report you got there shame about the losses! you have some beastly nids going too! keep these going im interested in seeing how nids perform against other armies and their setups. Maybe a simple map of the deployment may help too.
I have some other crazy ideas that I am eager to try. Have been using the tyrannoes a lot now, so I might put them away for a while. I also really wish I would get matched up against a more interesting army. Marines are so boring to battle.

Anyways though, my next bat rep will most likely be a doubles tournament of demons and IG, so my tyranids will not make an appearance for awhile. I asked around at the shop and it turns out there will only be about one Grey knight player as far as I know. All else seem to have plans on taking Imperial guard. I asked some dude if he was playing grey knights and he said "...yes, why do you ask?" (I was asking because I was gonna bring demons, right), so I just had this smirk on my face and said "oh, I'm just bring a nidzilla Tyranid list is all". I think he took the bluff. X_X For a second, I thought he was gonna say "are you bringing demons?" LOL

there will also be a pro-painted Death korps of krieg army. I hope I battle them, or at least get some pics. the dude usually plays normal IG and his paint job is gorgeous, so I expect nothing less for his Kriegs.

Last edited by MidnightKid333; 04-25-12 at 01:55 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-12, 02:25 PM

Dragblud da scrunka's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightKid333 View Post
I have some other crazy ideas that I am eager to try. Have been using the tyrannoes a lot now, so I might put them away for a while. I also really wish I would get matched up against a more interesting army. Marines are so boring to battle.

Anyways though, my next bat rep will most likely be a doubles tournament of demons and IG, so my tyranids will not make an appearance for awhile. I asked around at the shop and it turns out there will only be about one Grey knight player as far as I know. All else seem to have plans on taking Imperial guard. I asked some dude if he was playing grey knights and he said "...yes, why do you ask?" (I was asking because I was gonna bring demons, right), so I just had this smirk on my face and said "oh, I'm just bring a nidzilla Tyranid list is all". I think he took the bluff. X_X For a second, I thought he was gonna say "are you bringing demons?" LOL

there will also be a pro-painted Death korps of krieg army. I hope I battle them, or at least get some pics. the dude usually plays normal IG and his paint job is gorgeous, so I expect nothing less for his Kriegs.
True after awhile it can get repeatitive i had that where i live there is only one other guy that does warhammer with Vostrayans but anyway, sounds exciting battles coming up for you! Demons huh Haven't read up alot about them so interesting to see how they are! Do you have a list for them on here? Hahha That guy will be confused to see demon shaped nids haha! Death korps are cool as hell! hope you kick some ass!

WAAAAGH Dragblud
W: 22 D: 6 L: 13

Space marines: Krakens Fury! (TBF)
W: 0 D: 0 L: 0
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-12, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragblud da scrunka View Post
Do you have a list for them on here?
Yes, it is in the chaos demons army lists forum. I have made a lot of changes to it and am still working it all out with my friend, so we have basically got it all under control.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics > 40k Battle Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode