[1875] Tyranids vs Chaos Space Marines - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Battle Reports Brag about your latest crushing victory here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-12, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

chaosspace2's Flag is: United Kingdom

Icon [1875] Tyranids vs Chaos Space Marines

I have been meaning to do this for a while, but here it is CSM vs Tyranids...with a twist. Here are the two lists:

Tyranids
HQ:
Swarmlord: (2x tyrant guard with LW)

Parasite of Mortrex

Elites:
Deathleaper

Doom
(Spod with cluster spines)

Venomthorpe (x1)

Troops:
Tervigon: (Scything talons, AG, TS, Catalyst, Cluster spines)

Termagaunts (x20)

Fast attack:
Gargoyles (x15): (TS, AG)

Heavy support:
Old one eye

Tyranofex: (Rupture cannon, DLarvae, AG)

Chaos Space Marines

HQ
Kharn the Betrayer
Daemon Prince: (Wings, Mark of Slaanesh, lash)

Elites
5 Chosen: (2 flamers, 3 meltas)
4 terminators: (3 combi-meltas, 1 Reaper Autocannon)

Troops
9 Khorne Berserkers: (skull champ w. power weapon)
8 Plague Marines: (champ with PF, 2 meltaguns), rhino
10 CSM: (1 heavy bolter, 1 Melta), rhino

Heavy Support
2 Obliterators
Defiler: (Havoc launcher)
Chaos Land Raider: (Daemon Possession)

First some may notice that the nids have lots of named characters. I challenged myself to create a list which had to contain all the unique models from the nid codex. I was then challenged to a game with an old friend where we would not be allowed to know each other’s list until it was on the board. Here’s the fun part, we wouldn’t even see the deployment. We were allowed to inspect the battlefield, roll for deployment and game type (pitched battle and seize objectives (3)), make notes as to where we wanted our troops to be deployed and then left the room while two others would set up our armies as instructed. This allowed for the shock factor when we entered the room and stopped any form of tactical placement.

So, suppose I ought to begin with explain where we were. The objectives were placed one on my board edge in the corner, one in his board corner (opposite mine) and one in the middle of the board. There was very little cover, the middle was surrounded by woods all round but that was pretty much it.

Without any knowledge of his troops, I placed swarmlord with guard, Old one eye and the venomthorpe together opposite his objective as far up the board as possible. The parasite attached to the gargoyle brood, the Tervigon and the Tyrannofex placed in the middle, set up to charge on the woody objective and termagaunts deployed onto the objective in my board half. Doom and Deathleaper were in reserve.

Chaos were deployed the Obliterators, Land Raider and CSM at his objective. Kharn, Plagues and defiler were set up in the middle to go after the woody objective. Khorne Berserkers and Daemon Prince were set to charge my objective. The chosen were outflanking and the Terms arriving via deepstrike.
With deployment finalised and a lot of “Oh god oh god oh god why did I put that there!” we rolled off to see who would start. Tyranids won and CSM failed to seize the initiative, let the battle commence.

TURN 1 (Start of the turn ‘Tyr’ 1 – 1 ‘CSM’)
So with everything in synapse range we began with the parasite and gargoyles zooming off towards the Bersekers to make that a difficult trudge. Tervigon and Tyrannofex moved slowly towards the middle objective, while Swarmlord, Old on eye, and the venom moved towards the quite heavily armoured objective. Gaunts stayed put to hold down the objective.
Shooting started and ended with the Tryannofex taking a potshot at the Landraider, which succeeded in destroying it. Everything else ran up the board, Tevi moving 3” towards the middle objective, Swarmlord and crew moving 2” towards the now slightly less defended chaos objective and the Parasite closing in on the Bersekers with a move of 6”. With nothing in assault range and the gargoyles unable to fleet (a nerf on my part I thought they could ) my turn now ends.

Moving for chaos is quite short, those around the objective stay still, Plagues in their rhino move a full 12” up the center but remain in their armour to stay safe (for now). Kharn and defiler move slowly up the board towards the objective while the Prince and Bersekers move to intercept the incoming swarm.
Shooting was a lot more active, the CSM opening fire on the Swarmlord (who are outside Rapid fire). 4 Bolter and 3 Heavy bolter rounds hit their mark, but only a bolter round causes a wound, which is failed reducing a guard down to 1 wound. The obliterators open fire with Lascannons on the swarmlord, both of which hit, both wound but the cover save granted by the venom reduced it to just a single unsaved wound, causing the death of the wounded guard. The defiler fires its Battlecannon at the T-fex, but scatters completely off, hitting a tree (must have looked like a loyalist). The Bersekers fire all their bolt pistols into the gargoyles, 4 fall out of the sky but just won’t stop coming. The daemon prince tries to cast lash on the group to get them to fly away but it appears the deathleaper is preying on his mind (found he was reducing his leadership by 3) failing the cast.
Assault, the berserkers charge into the gargoyles while the slightly confused prince watches (just out of charge range sorry wasn't thinking straight he was but for some strange reason he decided not to charge). With furious charge, the berserkers (Now I5) were going to hit first before the gargoyles (I4) but not before the slightly angry Parasite (I6). Three wounds inflicted, two dead berserkers. Remaining berserkers hit back, killing five gargoyles (now down to 6). The gargoyles now hit back, killing another berserker (now down to 6). With Gargoyles losing the fight by 2 and being fearless due to being in synapse range, they take two additional wounds, with the loss of another gargoyle. However, here’s where it gets fun, 2 wounds dealt by the parasite causes 2 toughness tests, failure means D6 rippers are deployed within range of the parasite. Both toughness tests were failed, and so 6 ripper bases exploded out of the two dead berserkers, hungry for flesh.

Now please don't be annoyed but I still have the other turns to write up, thats not to build up suspense, thats just how long its taking me to get it typed (time is always escaping). Will try and post up what I have got done later. But since it is taking awhile any thoughts on a possible victor?

Last edited by chaosspace2; 04-10-12 at 12:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-12, 01:40 PM

MidnightKid333's Flag is: Canada

Hooray it's up!

tyranids will win. They just will.

congrats on birthing rippers against a marine! That is tough to pull off, glad it happened.

good work with destroying the land raider with the tyrannofex. it is always worth a celebration when that happens!

the deathleaper seems to be doing fairly well for now. That lash whip could have really hurt your gargoyles.

Hilarious setup as well. I could only imagine your friends reaction. LOL!

THE SUSPENSE! THE CLIFFHANGER ENDING! WHATS GONNA HAPPEN IN ROUND 2????????????? X_X

Last edited by MidnightKid333; 04-10-12 at 01:54 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-12, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

chaosspace2's Flag is: United Kingdom

@ Midnight
Cheers mate, yeah he was really stunned at the deployment. And both of us were stunned at how the first turn went.

So where we left off:
  • Both armies have one objective each
  • Nids have lost 1 tyrant guard and 10 gargoyles but have gained 6 ripper swarm bases (3 in each brood)
  • Chaos have lost a landraider and 3 berserkers

TURN 2 (Start of the turn ‘Tyr’ 1 – 1 ‘CSM’)
The turn begins with me eating a slice of pizza and rolling off for the reserves, both the doom and deathleaper are ready to join (result!). The doom finds itself in the middle of the chaos objective, right next to the obliterators and CSM squad and the pod right next to the CSM rhino tank (contesting the objective). Deathleaper deploys just behind the tervigon, keeping himself out of harms way for the moment (prince still not in combat so could be dangerous going to help out the parasite and the Chaos objective now looks a little crowded ).
Movement begins with the tervigon spawning 10 termgaunts (no doubles). He also casts Catalyst on the gaunts. Everything in the center moves forward to take the objective (now 2 -0). Swarmlord and posy move towards the Chaos objective. Gaunts at the nid objective pass instinctive behaviour and celebrate by standing still. The brand new rippers begin moving towards the prince.
Shooting. T-fex blows off the battlecannon on the defiler, gaunts fire at Kharn on foot and cause a wound. With the posy still out of range Swarmlord runs with his gang 5” (swarmlord) and 3” (OOE and Venom). And now the doom, absorbing 3 wounds off the CSM and 1 off the obliterators gave him a strength of 8. He then promptly blew up the obliterators (instant death), taking 2 wounds but gaining 3, having a total of 9 wounds. The pod swipes at the rhino but just causes a shaken result. The Cluster spines scatter off the board.
Assault. All 6 Ripper swarms charge into the prince, who stuns everyone by instantly killing 4 bases (being strength 6). The two remaining bases failed to wound, discussing in depth about how fearless works in this case as he technically only caused 4 wounds but killed 4 bases with 3 wounds each (total of 12), we rolled a dice to decide their fate. It seemed this was an unlucky turn for the rippers as the dice decided they took 12 wounds, killing them both. The prince, excited about his awesome killiness, consolidated towards the centre 6”. The parasite was able to cause another 2 deaths, the Berserkers decide to target their attacks on the parasite, killing him easily and preventing anymore rippers appearing. With the loss of their leader suddenly the gargoyles weren’t looking so hot and attempted to flee, but were caught by the nasty berserkers. Only 5 berserkers remaining though.

Chaos also got both of his reserves, the terms deepstriking right next to the T-Fex and the chosen, decided by the dice, came on next to the swarmlord (“Mha ha ha, taste my Melta guns”).
Moving started with the rhino moving next to the tervi and unloading the plagues behind it. It then promptly deployed smoke launchers (now contesting the objective). Kharn charged fowards to end up next to the plagues and the defiler moved around the objective towards the T-fex. The prince (having been revealed have been waiting for stealers to appear, hence not joining the battle) flew towards the centre. The berserkers, now free, charge towards the termagaunts.
Shooting, all hell breaks loose. Terminators fire everything at the T-fex, reducing it to 3 wounds, Defiler with Havoc launchers and reaper take off another wound. The plagues and kharn can’t shoot due to the rhino. CSM fire all they can at the Doom, causing 4 wounds (down to 5). The chosen fire everything at the swarmlord, taking out his other Tyrant guard and even taking a wound off the swarmlord himself.
Assault, well, we decided that kharn could just get to the termagaunts so charged headlong...and interesting result. Killing four gaunts was easy for the betrayer...but getting hit back by only three measly gaunts caused his death (down to two remember due to shooting) :O Cursing the blood god my opponent ended his turn.

So Turn 2 Summary:
Total Losses:
  • Nids have lost 2 tyrant guard, 15 gargoyles, Parasite, 6 Ripper swarms and 4 Gaunts
  • Chaos have lost a landraider, 5 berserkers, Kharn, Obliterators

Left on the board:
  • Nids have 20 Termagaunts (at objective), 6 Termagaunts (in centre), Doom, Deathleaper, Swarmlord, OOE, Venom, Tervigon, T-fex (2 wounds)
  • Chaos have Daemon prince, Chosen, Terminators, 8 Plagues, 7 CSM, 5 Berserksers, Damaged Defiler

Score is now Nids 1 -0 Chaos

I'm so sorry, it is still taking me forever to write and real life is keeping me away from the fun stuff I promise I will have this done soon.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-12, 04:44 AM

MidnightKid333's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Swarmlord and posy move towards the Chaos objective. Gaunts at the nid objective pass instinctive behaviour and celebrate by standing still. The brand new rippers begin moving towards the prince.
haha that's instinctive behavior at it's finest. Silly rule.

also, posy is spelt: "Posse" .. NOW YOU KNOW! ;D

Quote:
but getting hit back by only three measly gaunts caused his death
wow, the spawned termagaunts killed his HQ. Tervigons kick ass!

and when the demon prince won combat and consolidated, did you roll for that consolidation move? It's on a D6, not just a full 6".

no rush though, it's not like there's a deadline to posting the rest of the report. Batreps are a lot easier to write (in my opinion) when you have a pic-heavy report, since the images do the talking and you just add a brief description of what's shooting what. You can also take pics of the dead pile and (possibly) their army, so you don't have to include the list write-up, though Some armies would need the text list for upgrades purposes. Tyranids would probably be okay, though. Just some quick dot jots, like: "the tervigon has this and that, and the trygon is using adrenal glands" would be all you need.

Last edited by MidnightKid333; 04-15-12 at 04:51 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-12, 06:16 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightKid333 View Post
also, posy is spelt: "Posse" .. NOW YOU KNOW! ;D
Awww ya spoiled it, I was actually thinking it was some weird kind of Tyranid Weapon that looks like a bunch of flowers !

Keep 'em coming Chaosspace, you write well and it is an enthralling read.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 12:34 PM

Scythes's Flag is: USA

This sounds like a good battle, it could go either way but it looks like the Nids are going to take it. Just seeing what the Doom can do, I must get/make/something one very, very soon! Keep it up.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-12, 05:02 PM

Garion's Flag is: United Kingdom

yeah Im enjoying this report alot, cant wait for the finale

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34388&dateline=133318  0448

Click here for my Painting Blog - new on page2 Zoanthrope/pod

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics > 40k Battle Reports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode