Opinions on Army List Layout - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Army Lists Post your Warhammer 40k armies here.

View Poll Results: Change Army List Layout?
Yes 33 91.67%
No 2 5.56%
Not Sure 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-08, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Slave to Heresy!
Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Opinions on Army List Layout

I've been following the armylist section recently and wondered if you guys would prefer a different system?

What we've been discussing is a different layout. We have a good level of threads within the forum now so maybe this warrants splitting it into specific army subforums?

I think the current army list area is looking untidy, threads are being lost quickly and not getting the exposure they deserve from the "experienced" guys that really understand each specific army.

The diagram below is roughly how it will look if we go ahead.

40k Army Lists
Post your Warhammer 40k armies here.

Chaos Space Marines___Eldar____________Space Marines
Daemonhunters_______Imperial Guard____Tau Empire
Dark Eldar____________Necrons_________Tyranids
Daemons_____________Orks____________Witch Hunters

The staff are pretty divided right now, some think it's a good idea, others don't.

What do you say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-08, 11:51 AM

Zeldrin's Flag is: United Kingdom

I think it is a winner. Would you further subdivide space marines and chaos into their chapters within the space marine subforum? A subdivide within a subdivide may be a little extreme but I imagine space marines get more traffic than most and the problem may just shift into the subfrums if you don't sub divide again. Just a thought to augment an already solid idea.

Zeldrin

"Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun"
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-08, 12:31 PM

Imperial Dragon's Flag is: Australia

this is good idea i say give it a try, and i like the idea what Zeldrin said with the Space marine chapter being broken up more.

i see the only problem with this is, you will most of the time only go into your favourite army and not really look at other peoples lists and what not, but i still say yes.

How ironic it is that as fast as we spread progress and hope throughout the galaxy, the Tyranids spread death and despair. Only united can we hope to stand against them.

Aun'shi of the Tau Empire

Last edited by Imperial Dragon; 04-03-08 at 12:36 PM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-08, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Slave to Heresy!

The subforums will only go one deep. There aren't enough threads and posts to go any further.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-08, 12:53 PM

I agree on the whole, sub-forums sound ideal, though I also think a single SM sub-forum would get messy again pretty quickly.

The obvious answer is one Codex, one Forum, rather than trying to do it by Chapters I think. Have Salamanders and White Scars and Home-Made included with UMs and Fists, but with BA, SW etc in different forums. After all, the codex 'is' the list really, and people building lists from a particular codex are gonna share certain concerns, problems etc.

It also means that unecessary info is kept to a minimum - if you don't play DA, you don't have to trawl past endless Deathwing posts.

It would be easy enough to update if GW decides to change things around, I would think. I know you've included Daemons as a seperate army, but should they release a codex for another army-type that doesn't yet exist, I assume it wouldn't be a problem to add another sub-forum, or even fold one back in if they (I don't know) drop Space Wolves for instance (sorry Firewolf if you're reading this... divvent tek me ears!)

Also, it might make people think a bit more about the info they're giving. Sometimes SM players don't post the Codex they're using... there you are giving them advice based on Codex: SM and it turns out they're using BA.

Don't know how much extra work it would all be from y'all on the Mod Squad, but certainly from a user point of view, that looks to me like the best answer.

Hope this helps in your decision-making...

Edit: you posted while I was typing; I want to make clear I'm not advocating a SM sub-forum with SM, SW, BA, DA, BT sub-sub-forums, just 5 sub-forums for the 5 SM codices. I realise that BT and SW don't get that many posts, but even so, I think the 1 codex, 1 forum formula is the best, from our point of view at least.

"Well it's Forty-one Thousand Nine Hundred Sixty-nine OK -
Gotta war across the Milky Way - "
Iggius Popiscus and the Stoogii, "41,969"

Last edited by Red Orc; 04-03-08 at 12:59 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-08, 03:24 PM

Sounds good. I bet the mods will be busy putting people's lists in to the right place though

You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts.
Black Legion, Sisters WIP, Feudal IG WIP.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-08, 04:38 PM
Grey Knight Converter

asianavatar's Flag is: Canada

I don't think splitting the threads up by army is going to work. The problem with this is that the majority of army list posts seem to be space marines (chaos and imperial). I took a quick scan through the first 5 pages and found maybe 2 or 3 eldar threads, 3 WH/DH threads, I think 2 tyranids threads, etc etc. If you break it up by army, the Space Marines are chaos are going to look just as messy and the other army sections will be pretty empty. I think something in between complete separation might work. How about?

Space Marine
Space Marine: DA, BA, BT (SM that don't use the space marine codex)
The Inquisition (Witchhunter/Demonhunters)
Imperial Guard
Chaos Space Marines
Chaos Demons
Xenos

*maybe but the Imperial Guard and Inquisition together under the Imperium

I used to roll the dice, Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes

Quote:
I'm afraid there's no authoritative source for thinking you're an asshole
Aramoro

Last edited by asianavatar; 04-03-08 at 04:52 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-08, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Slave to Heresy!

I think having them seperate will help stimulate more list submissions...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-08, 04:57 PM

solitaire's Flag is: England

This idea sounds great, I really like it though I would suggest having an extra section where all new threads get automatically sent incase someone plays half a dozen armies and can't be bothered to look at each individually.

"Playing Warhammer is just like making love. It's usually done on a table and afterwards you always feel great shame. Plus like most fun things the older you get the less fun it becomes. So remember, always wear a condom while playing Warhammer - I've got mine on now."
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-08, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Slave to Heresy!

That isn't possible Solitaire. I see what you mean though, that would be awesome. Especially if they were moved automatically by the script after a week or two.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode