Getting a Tau Army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Army Lists Post your Warhammer 40k armies here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-10, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Default Getting a Tau Army

I've decided that since my brother has taken a liking to the Tau, I thought it was best that I give at least try to give him a Tau army for this Christmas. I know I should at least give him the Battleforce+codex, but I'm thinking of getting a larger army for him besides the basic 500 point army that comes with the box. What else should I get him? I'm trying to aim for a 1000 point army so I can have evenly-mached battles with him (I'm getting a 1000 point IG army)

What is the strongest weapon of mankind? The god-machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus? No! The Astartes Legions? No! The tank? The lasgun? The fist? Not at all! Courage and courage alone stands above them all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-10, 01:28 PM

Blackhiker's Flag is: USA

Personally I suggest just getting 2 batleforces and a hammerhead and if you have anything else to spare some pathfinders.

This will give him a decent starting point, and many options for the army to try out.

If a child asks how Santa lives forever, simply reply he drinks blood.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started to do the same thing to them at funerals.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-10, 01:31 PM

Hooobit's Flag is: England

Have a gander at some of the Tau lists in the Army list section.

Normally give you a good idea of what is handy to have around in an army of Tau

Everyone has a purpose, just so happens mine is more of an example to others of what NOT to do.

I know it's time to go to bed when the last post in every thread has been written by me.

Hooobit, nothing more nothing less.
XBL: Hooobit
PSN: Hooobit

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-11, 05:09 AM

maomolin's Flag is: USA

2x battleforce
a hammerhead
2x broadsides

If it works for YOU, then it isn't never a wrong choice. With Love, Mao.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-11, 11:19 AM

Well, Kroot are bloody neccesary, fire warriors are bad and you really just want one minimum sized squad to sit in some pathfinder's devilfish, pathfinders are practically required, 2 heads (railheads, that is) and some broadsides are fairly standard, piranhas require a deft touch but buy you time, and every other single point, ever, should be put into PR/MP suits, or maaaaaybe Twinlinked missile pod suits. A commander... well, he's a suit, right>

Everything else is rather best avoided. A LOT of it is crap (see: ethereals) and the rest eats a slot and points that could be taken by something worthwhile. Wasting HS slots on Ionheads, Skyrays, sniper squads, etc. is painful, and wasting Crisis slots on steathies is just awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
I'm probably going to follow my usual Eldar tactic of driving around the table "circling and screaming 'I don't give a fuck' with my windows down and system up" and avoiding anything that looks scary.
Her(?) name may be slightly inapropriate, but she just needs love! And I just need to eat your face!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode