What definies competitive? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Army Lists Post your Warhammer 40k armies here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-10, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

StalkerZero's Flag is: USA

Default What definies competitive?

So, most of my days lately I sit and read through proposed army lists to try to fight the urge I have to just field as many TH/SS terminators possible at any given point level. I am trying to find that definitive point on what makes something competitive and what makes something fluff-ridden.

I am all for having fun in the game. I really am. Started a write up on my very own SM chapter to try to enjoy them even. But at the heart of it I am getting a tad tired of having my face beat in by a Daemon Prince + Lash of Submission build around Obliterators. We have a lot of fun playing but losing every time isn't working out well. But that's really another topic (I have a deep suspicion on why he wins so often and it isn't the fact that it's a Daemon Prince Lash army).

What I really want to to know is, were I to walk in to a tournament today what things would I be looking for in all armies that would signal to me, "Okay that guy is trying to run a competitive list" versus "That guy just bought a few of everything and made a story on how it works together and plays it"?

Deep gratitude to Varakir for the signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-10, 05:09 PM

fynn's Flag is: United Kingdom

Tbh, in tournys all you will normaly see are competeive lists, and very rarely a "fun or fluffy" list. as most (but not all) players will bring there power/cheese lists like duel lash with oblits and plague amrines, and so on. so for tounry game, you need to, i spose the phrase "up your game plan" and start building a "power list", you can still keep to the story line of yuor chapter or what ever, but allow for dealing with tourny builds and the like. and theres nothing stoping you useing your fun lists in freindly club games (unless you know a guy or 2 that will only bring tounry list to friendly games, i know a few like that)

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-10, 05:19 PM

To answer your original question...
I'd have to go with dictionaries as a thesaurus only gives you synonyms.

To really answer your question, as stated above GTs are pretty competetive. As far as picking up a game from an unknown quantity, if they have the "power builds" that's usually a good indicator.

I support Exterminatus.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-10, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fynn View Post
Tbh, in tournys all you will normaly see are competeive lists, and very rarely a "fun or fluffy" list. as most (but not all) players will bring there power/cheese lists like duel lash with oblits and plague amrines, and so on. so for tounry game, you need to, i spose the phrase "up your game plan" and start building a "power list", you can still keep to the story line of yuor chapter or what ever, but allow for dealing with tourny builds and the like. and theres nothing stoping you useing your fun lists in freindly club games (unless you know a guy or 2 that will only bring tounry list to friendly games, i know a few like that)
That's what has really surprised me about 40k. I originally come from Magic the Gathering where there are whole websites devoted to posting the recent tournament finishes for decks and archetypes. I cannot find anything of the sort for Warhammer at all.

You would think in a hobby that has so much about it on the internet would be plagued with the same problem CCG are: armies that win major tournaments being copied by every local gaming guy to try to win big.

I've read that Dual Lash is a solid tournament build (maybe not as much now but has been), highly motorized armies are big, some Ork variants (Nob Bikerz/Green Tide), but for the most part there doesn't seem to exist a whole lot about specific army lists that win.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-10, 05:31 PM

Have you considered checking the meta-game section of the forum?

I support Exterminatus.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-10, 07:23 PM

if you look through some of the army lists post in the army list setion, you will find some tourny builds there, and as saud above, in the meta section as well.
You could also look over at dakadaka, as they have a very large tourny player base than we see to have here ( hence why i never post army list there as i play for fun, and hate some tounry player ripping it apart becourse its not a power/cheese list)

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-10, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperious View Post
Have you considered checking the meta-game section of the forum?
Quite a bit. It just wasn't what I was expecting I suppose.

There is a lot of variation from tournament environment to tournament environment but what I expected to find was something along lines of:

Army needs to have xx anti-vehicle weapons
Army needs to have xx anti-horde weapons
Etc.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-10, 07:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fynn View Post
( hence why i never post army list there as i play for fun, and hate some tounry player ripping it apart becourse its not a power/cheese list)
We have it here as well, and in every army sub-forum. Maybe not the exact degree of some other places, but its at least one reason why I do not get many responses when I put a list up. (On top of my lists sometimes being strange, and another thing that I'm keeping secret.)

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-10, 07:37 PM

true, but not as bad as "over there", and normaly here if you put fun list in the post, you get the right advice for a fun list, even from the tourny player, its when you dont use the word fun that you get issues

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-10, 07:41 PM

angelXD19's Flag is: USA

Location: a little town called..none of your goddamn business

there is some truth in that. you do get a lot of competitive advice even when you find the two to three suggestions that are not. It does get annoying when you put up a list and everyone suggests the meta game lists. Chaos in general will do that a lot. I have almost given up on posting lists because of it

I LOVE STEALING. I LOVE TAKING THINGS- Bender

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode