Best Melee Army - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Army Lists Post your Warhammer 40k armies here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-12-09, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Chocobuncle's Flag is: USA

hmm good point but i do want a strong armor save and mass kinda but ig arnt really for melee i never figured

and i looked at bt theyre specials dont seem so good but that could just be me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-12-09, 01:50 AM

Trandoshanjake's Flag is: USA

The only thing that could come close to "Lots of models AND good saves" would be Witchhunters, and they are really more of a shooty army.

post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-12-09, 02:17 AM

Marshal Balian's Flag is: USA

If you are looking for a high armour save Hand to Hand Army you are either going to want 1 of 3 Armies.

World Eaters CSM: Khorne Berzerkers are just flat out nasty in Hand to Hand combat. They also come with the furious charge rule which adds +1 to STR and INT. Kharn is an awsome character but can hurt your own people too. The regular CSM's with the mark of Khorn receive +1 to their attack profile.

Blood Angels: Take assault squads as a troops choice. Have an assault only dreadnaught the furioso. Baal Predators. Veteran Assault Sqauds from what I hear are pretty good. Death company for free just pay for a chaplain.

Black Templars: My CC army of choice. Emperors Champion with the Accept any Challenge Vow(Re-roll all to hits). Great for killing IC's, MC's, DP's and the likes. Can have 20 man Crusader squads with CCW's(10 Initiates(regular space marine), and 10 Neophytes(Scouts)). The Neophytes are your meat shield and that is all they are good for. May take LRC's as a troop transport(does not count against your FOC of heavy support). Chaplains are still uber tuff(have not been nerfed like the new SM's). They have the rightous zeal special rule. You shoot at them and wound a model they may move up to 6" after the enemy shooting phase(possible 2nd turn assault). Big drawbacks though. No devastator squads, no whirlwinds. Also their FAQ have not been updated properly so if you are playing against a prick they could technically stop you from assaulting out of your LR's due to the new "Assault Vehicle" special rule(but if they do that kick them in the sack and call it game.)

You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you were only kidding!!!

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-12-09, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal Balian View Post
If you are looking for a high armour save Hand to Hand Army you are either going to want 1 of 3 Armies.

World Eaters CSM: Khorne Berzerkers are just flat out nasty in Hand to Hand combat. They also come with the furious charge rule which adds +1 to STR and INT. Kharn is an awsome character but can hurt your own people too. The regular CSM's with the mark of Khorn receive +1 to their attack profile.

Blood Angels: Take assault squads as a troops choice. Have an assault only dreadnaught the furioso. Baal Predators. Veteran Assault Sqauds from what I hear are pretty good. Death company for free just pay for a chaplain.

Black Templars: My CC army of choice. Emperors Champion with the Accept any Challenge Vow(Re-roll all to hits). Great for killing IC's, MC's, DP's and the likes. Can have 20 man Crusader squads with CCW's(10 Initiates(regular space marine), and 10 Neophytes(Scouts)). The Neophytes are your meat shield and that is all they are good for. May take LRC's as a troop transport(does not count against your FOC of heavy support). Chaplains are still uber tuff(have not been nerfed like the new SM's). They have the rightous zeal special rule. You shoot at them and wound a model they may move up to 6" after the enemy shooting phase(possible 2nd turn assault). Big drawbacks though. No devastator squads, no whirlwinds. Also their FAQ have not been updated properly so if you are playing against a prick they could technically stop you from assaulting out of your LR's due to the new "Assault Vehicle" special rule(but if they do that kick them in the sack and call it game.)
You forgot GKs, s6 ws5 and true grit, mmmmmm...

post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-12-09, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trandoshanjake View Post
You forgot GKs, s6 ws5 and true grit, mmmmmm...
Nope I did not forget them. They have already been mentioned. The drawback to them is they are way to expensive.

post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-12-09, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal Balian View Post
Nope I did not forget them. They have already been mentioned. The drawback to them is they are way to expensive.
THAT is a matter of opinion. Ok, maybe not, but they are still made of pure distilled badass.

post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-12-09, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trandoshanjake View Post
THAT is a matter of opinion. Ok, maybe not, but they are still made of pure distilled badass.
That is true. But hands down against a CC oriented army the GK will lose due to lack of numbers. They are badasses in what they do but point for point I will take a Templar army over them any day.

I just wish they would make GK in plastics. I want a GK army but cannot stomach the price for them money wise and only having 5 different variations to a GK is a big killer for me. I hate having 2 models that look the same. I have no Sword Brethren models because of this.

post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-12-09, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

thats disapointing cause i really liked gk but o well and i cant really read much on blood angels but what really makes them different from other sm
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-13-09, 12:26 AM

Imperial Dragon's Flag is: Australia

There's no real best as someone might of said already, some are better then others though, if this is your first army, i would go with Khorne Berzerkers (Chaos space marines, World Eater/followers of Khorne army) i find that most people can make a list that is killy enough while being easy on the pocket (Ebay) the only problem is you will need to find power weapons and power fists of Ebay.

BA can have assault marines as troops and get a unit called death company (DC) which are a space marine unit that rends.

How ironic it is that as fast as we spread progress and hope throughout the galaxy, the Tyranids spread death and despair. Only united can we hope to stand against them.

Aun'shi of the Tau Empire

Last edited by Imperial Dragon; 02-13-09 at 12:34 AM.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-13-09, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

yea but is it really good just to have pure assault marines as ba

and ive watched people play and read the rules and stuff just wanted to make sure if there is a best cc army and which one it is

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode